Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to georgraphy and health (in equal measure) I am largely forced to rely on Vassal for my gaming interactions with opponents. While that suffices for a myriad of games, life always throws up exceptions.

I have long cast envious glances at the Star Wars Imperial Assault boxes (core and expansions) in stores and online but have refrained from a purchase because from what I can make out it is not really suited to solo play (despite the existence of solo play variants here on BGG).

Now I see that FFG have announced that an app is in development which will do for SWIA that which has already been done for Descent (2nd Ed) and MoM2. That in itself is a tipping point as there is no way on earth I can resist a purchase now.

My question is would I be better off waiting until the app comes out beforer my getting into the series? If I jump now, I could at least learn the rules and know how to play the game. However, if I wait, is it likely that the version of SWIA (core box) will change in any way?

Many thanks in advance for your comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would wait, but you can also learn the campaign game by joining the vibrant Play by Forum subcommunity. (The rulebooks are available from the IA page on FFG's site, so buying the game is optional, unless you want to run a campaign as the imperial player - then you need to own the game with its campaign guide.)

If you paint or have ever considered trying, or are just curious about it with time on your hands, then it will be much harder to resist.

(I don't expect the core box to change. At most the errata might be incorporated to the rules reference guide at some point.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that quick reply.

So there is a vibrant Play by Forum scene? Vassal I take it? I am certainly very comfortable using Vassal.

Hmmm ... with that and the news of the app that makes it even harder to resist.

I'm a Star Wars fan since the beginning and would love to be able to play this; Vassal would be more than OK in the absence of a face-to-face opponent(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Play By Forum is all done in the forums here. The imperial player uses the Vassal IA Campaign module to keep track and post updates.

Play By Forum

Imperial Assault PBF Wiki

The Vassal IA Campaign module approaches being mature enough for actual real-time play, and I know some groups have used it that way, but I have not personally tried it.

(Edit: The newest module also contains the RAIV assets for solo play.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Garrett
msg tools
For what it's worth, most of my IA experiences have actually been solo. You can use RAIV to simulate an imperial player, or (as I prefer) you simply play both sides. There's a minimal amount of hidden information in the game , and what there is isn't hard to simulate. If you're able to enjoy that sort of thing, IA is really a great game to solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Leong
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be refreshing to not have to play as the empire every time and crush the rebel heroes under the heel of my boot devil.

With the road to legend app, it has it's own campaign. Do you guys think that the IA app will appify the existing campaigns or is this going to be the same as the road to legend app with it's own campaign? I actually would prefer to appify the existing campaigns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garriath wrote:
For what it's worth, most of my IA experiences have actually been solo. You can use RAIV to simulate an imperial player, or (as I prefer) you simply play both sides. There's a minimal amount of hidden information in the game , and what there is isn't hard to simulate. If you're able to enjoy that sort of thing, IA is really a great game to solo.

Thanks for that encouraging set of comments Tim. If you have any tips you would like to share about how you approach solo play, and don't mind taking the time to share, I would be very grateful.

I have long thought about this game and well ... what can I say? I am this very moment sitting at home eagerly awaiting delivery today of the base game and the three big box expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Lin
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I have been playing IA solo by using a variant. It has been fun, but last night I had a first game in Mansions of Madness second edition, and I saw what FFG app can do. It is amazing! So now I cannot wait to play IA with the app!

Having said this, apparently the app for IA is coming out in Q4. So you might want to grab the IA now and paint the minis! Then by the time the app come out you can play IA with painted minis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Lin wrote:
Having said this, apparently the app for IA is coming out in Q4.

Yes, Q4, but which year? whistle

FFG said to expect more information "sometime" next year (2017).

(We played MoMe2 with the app yesterday too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
StrafeFC wrote:
This will be refreshing to not have to play as the empire every time and crush the rebel heroes under the heel of my boot devil.

With the road to legend app, it has it's own campaign. Do you guys think that the IA app will appify the existing campaigns or is this going to be the same as the road to legend app with it's own campaign? I actually would prefer to appify the existing campaigns.

Almost certainly will have its own campaigns. Having it play an effective Imperial player without having you enter every action the Rebels take into the app, including where they move and so on, would be near impossible. The Descent app works because the missions are set up so the monsters pretty much always have the objective of killing the heroes, rather than anything more complicated.

All that said, I'd suggest the OP wait as nothing has been confirmed beyond an IA app. We can have a good guess that it'll be an AI for solo/co-op play, but it could still be something else entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.