Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since saved games are not currently tied to an account on the phone/tablet app or supports saving to the Steam Cloud on the PC version, does anyone know where the save files (in Steam for the PC version) are kept so I can transfer saves to another machine? I've tried copy/pasting the entire Mansions of Madness folder from Steamapps/common but that doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There seems to be a folder at:
...\AppData\LocalLow\Fantasy Flight Games\Mansions of Madness Second Edition\SavedGame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, will give that a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, works to a certain extent but somehow the save seems to get corrupted. Continuing the game brings up an incomplete/jumbled map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Odd. I wonder where the settings are stored? (which 1st Ed. stuff you own) Did you have all the same stuff selected before transferring the save?

If it's not using Steam Cloud, I guess there's no folder under Steam\userdata.

Could be in the registry.

Maybe you could monitor the app using something like the Disk Activity on Windows Resource Monitor? See what files it writes to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question -- I haven't poked the app much, and don't really want to till my copy arrives (next week?), but it seemed like one could only have a single save. Is this really the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Quick question -- I haven't poked the app much, and don't really want to till my copy arrives (next week?), but it seemed like one could only have a single save. Is this really the case?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
Hmm, works to a certain extent but somehow the save seems to get corrupted. Continuing the game brings up an incomplete/jumbled map.

EDIT: Actually, ignore all this nonsense I posted below, FFG have release an update apparently, and have confirmed there are issues with loading save states, so currently recommend finishing the game in one sitting...
(thanks "Necronomicon")
Re: App freeze during puzzle
http://steamcommunity.com/games/478980/announcements/detail/...

If it's not being caused by the "1st Edition ownership" settings, another possibility is that it's using a RNG algorithm to determine the map layout & token placement etc, which is being seeded (at least partially) based off some hardware-specific identifier.

[ Boring technical stuff that is probably wrong to follow... sleepless night... skip to last couple of sentences for your sanity ]

So, for example, map possibility #13524 would generate a different sequence of random numbers (and therefore tiles, tokens, monsters, etc.) when run on different hardware. It wouldn't really matter to most players, and they'd only ever notice if they tried to move saves between hardware, or upgrade a PC then re-load a save file.

It's a bit of a weird way to go about things, but possible. I don't know if Unity does/supports something like that, which is the tool I believe FFG use to make these apps.

You'd generally seed random number sequences based off of something like the system timer, if you wanted different results each time you launch the game (which you do in one sense, but only in order to pick which one of 'X' map layouts/token/monster placements to play, out of however many possibilities there are, when you start a new game).

But here, they also need to be able to save the game state, and then regenerate exactly the same scenario when you re-load, including the "map possibility #", and all the decisions made so far, and their effect on possible future inputs to the app, etc.

So if that random stuff was seeded based on the system timer each you launch the game, the clock would have a different reading, and the sequence of random numbers would be different, leading to a nonsensical jumbled mess of tile layouts, token placements, etc. when you re-load it.

One solution is to seed the random number generation off of a static number, something known, such as a hardware ID generated from the device you're running on. The number sequence would then always be the same for any given "map possibility #", and you could safely re-load a map from just the map # and the sequence of actions taken so far by the players.

But if the seed is (partially) based on the hardware, and you change the hardware (by moving the save file, or possibly changing PC components)... that would result in the kind of corrupt map you describe.

Final thought... this still doesn't seem likely to me though. I would imagine during testing that they'd want to be able to keep/restore save files in order to test bugs & fixes (to avoid having to replay lengthy sessions). So the last thing they'd want is corrupt maps if eg. a tester sends them a file with a bug report.

So... maybe one of the testers can enlighten us on that front, as to how they reported bugs / supplied save states (if it won't get them in trouble!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case the OP or anyone else is interested, I think I've worked out why the map corruption was happening after transferring a game save to a different PC. I've only used this technique once so far, but I managed to transfer a save file myself (after initially getting the corrupt map the OP described).

There are some settings stored in the Windows Registry (sorry, not sure where it might be on other platforms!) which, in addition to remembering your audio/resolution/expansion-ownership settings, I assume allows the app to interpret the data in the save file correctly according to the specific scenario & randomly-selected layout (eg. so it knows it's loading data about map tile 'X', rather than monster 'M')

Hopefully this method might provide people with a way to backup/restore their save files as a precaution mid-scenario (after quitting & saving), while FFG continue to work on fixing the bugs which are causing some players grief at the moment! Or maybe this could even allow people to submit a broken game state to FFG for investigation of a bug report, so they can reproduce exactly what you're seeing.

Although I haven't tried it, in theory you could even use this method to temporarily backup one scenario save state, then start a new game (eg. with a new game group) and then restore the previous save state to continue at a later date.

WARNING: I take no responsibility for anyone messing up their PC. DO NOT mess around with the Windows Registry if you do not know what you are doing! You have been warned!

1) Backup the save file & message log

They are stored in the folder mentioned previously...
...\AppData\LocalLow\Fantasy Flight Games\Mansions of Madness Second Edition\SavedGame

So, take a copy of that folder and/or the 2 files it contains.

2) Backup the scenario/variant & investigator information from the Windows Registry

*** WARNING: Do not mess with the Registry if you don't know what you are doing! ***

Launch regedit.exe via Windows Run

Navigate to...
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Flight Games\Mansions of Madness Second Edition

Right-click on that folder and "Export" to a filename of your choice.

For anyone interested, this contains the settings for the app (display resolution, sound, music, what expansions you own, etc), and also your choice of investigators & the scenario/variant ID (the important stuff!)

If you only want to import the bits you need (while not affecting your settings on the destination pc), then you can safely edit the .reg file in eg. Notepad and remove everything except these lines... (note that I've edited out the specific ids/keys, this is just an example of what it looks like)

Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Fantasy Flight Games\Mansions of Madness Second Edition]
"PREF_KEY_SCENARIO_h<<SOME ID HERE>>"=hex:<<LOTS OF HEXADECIMAL NUMBERS HERE...>>
"PREF_KEY_SCENARIO_VARIANT_h<<SOME ID HERE>>"=hex:<<LOTS OF HEXADECIMAL NUMBERS HERE...>>
"PREF_KEY_INVESTIGATORS_h<<SOME ID HERE>>"=hex:<<LOTS OF HEXADECIMAL NUMBERS HERE...>>

3) Copy the save file & message log to the destination PC

Simply take the files you backed up in step (1), and place them in the same location on the target PC (or if you're restoring an old scenario on the same PC, restore them to where they were before on that PC).

You may need to delete (or overwrite) the 2 files if they are already present from running the app on that PC previously.

Note that you must have run the app at least once for it to generate this save folder, so you may need to do that first.

4) Import the scenario/investigator info to the Registry of the destination PC

*** WARNING: Again, I take no responsibility here. Please be careful if you do not know what you are doing! ***

Note that you must have run the app at least once on this PC for it to generate the display settings/expansions owned/etc. in the Windows Registry, BEFORE you attempt to import the .reg file from step (2). This matters if (for example) you have edited everything out of the .reg file except the 3 Registry keys listed in step (2) in order to preserve the settings on this PC.

Copy the .reg file that you created (and perhaps edited) in step (2) onto a local storage device (HDD, desktop, wherever) the destination PC (or the same PC if you are simply restoring a backup of an old scenario save state). This is important as Windows will prevent you inserting info from .reg files over a network, for example.

Double-click the .reg file & confirm the popup to allow Windows to add the information to the Registry.

This will add the information in the file to the Windows Registry on this PC, including the keys which describe which scenario & variant you were playing, and which investigators you selected. This is the important step that makes sure the save file doesn't result in a jumbled mess when it is loaded.

5) Launch the Mansions of Madness app, and select "Continue"

Hopefully you should now be able to load your saved game on the destination PC & continue from where you left off
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This method also seems to work if you occasionally save folder and registry entry during game play (in effect backing up the auto-save). This is nice if the auto-save doesn't do it's job (properly).

I have created two batch files that will do the trick (on a Windows-platform). Just save these files in a folder of your choice:

Backup.bat makes a copy of the savegame in a sub map "copy" (which will be created if it doesn't exist) and exports the registry key to a file "savedgame.reg".
Restore.bat copies the savegame back and imports the registryfile "savedgame.reg" into the registry.

Click here to download the files.

Use at your own discretion/risk of course.
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
I have created two batch files that will do the trick (on a Windows-platform).

That's awesome, thanks!

Didn't even occur to me to automate it, but that could be a lifesaver for anyone who's desperate to play & doesn't want to wait for the next app update.

Like you say, you could just do a backup every so often. Wonder if it the app writes out everything every turn while you're still in it? If so you could just ALT+TAB out and run that once in a while, without even doing a Quit & Save.
EDIT: Ah, I skipped over your mention of "during" gameplay when I first read your post. So this is presumably what you intended - fantastic!

Thanks for posting it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks to Jan and Pudsey, much appreciated guys. Lets hope FFG implement people's suggestions in the next update(s). Strange that the Descent app has multiple save slots but the MoM one doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nyogtha wrote:
Many thanks to Jan and Pudsey, much appreciated guys. Lets hope FFG implement people's suggestions in the next update(s). Strange that the Descent app has multiple save slots but the MoM one doesn't.

Descent is campaign-based and played over weeks. MoM is typically played in one session, two at most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pudsy wrote:
EDIT: Ah, I skipped over your mention of "during" gameplay when I first read your post. So this is presumably what you intended

Indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pudsy wrote:
[q="Jan Tuijp"]but that could be a lifesaver for anyone who's desperate to play & doesn't want to wait for the next app update.

...or who wants to quickly create multiple save slots. Just make extra folders with the two batch files and your golden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.