Subject: Smash Up Solitaire: With Dice (A Work In Progress) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Before I kick off this post, I would just like to say that this idea would not have come about if it were not for this thread, and it's original poster:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1564725/solo-smash-using-di...

So, what follows is a refinement of this idea; with a few tweaks; that take it to Awesome Level 9000. .

In order to make the idea (and my tweaks) more workable; I have introduced a few new terms:

Choice Dice: Two D6 of different colors (so that they can be rolled together for speed) used to determine what Faction Action the AI will take this turn. The first dice determines whether it's the Primary or Secondary Faction that'll take the action this turn (1-3: Primary Faction, 4-6: Secondary Faction). The second dice generates the Faction Action (see Faction Action below).

Dice Minion: The AI player's equivalent of Minions; represented by D6. Dice Minions have Power equal to their face-up pips (plus any +1 Counters on them); and can be targeted by any cards or effects that can target a Minion.

Dice Pool: Dice that have not yet been rolled, and have no defined pip value. These are all still D6; but there are 20 of them per AI player instead of 10 in the original post above.

Discard Pool: The dice equivalent of a discard pile. When a Dice Minion is destroyed it is placed here displaying the pip value it possessed in play prior to its destruction. For example: If the dice had pip value of 2 (equal to a Minion of Power 2), prior being destroyed; place it in that AI player's Discard Pool, with the 2 pips side of the dice face-up.

Faction Action: Each of the 6 listed effects on a Faction Card, generated by rolling a D6 (the second dice as described in Choice Dice above), is known as a Faction Action.

Faction Deck: A deck of cards containing all the Factions known to Smash-dom. Each Card contains the Factions name, and a small reference table containing their Faction Actions.

Pip Power: The value of the pips showing on a Dice Minion that is either in play or, in the Discard Pool. Pip Power is the equivalent of Power on regular Minion cards; and anything that affects one, affects the other.

Primary / Secondary Faction: When you set-up an AI player, you draw two two cards from the Faction Deck. The first card drawn provides you with the Primary Faction, and the other the Secondary Faction.

Recycle: If an AI player runs out of dice in their Dice Pool, and needs to place a dice; return all dice from their Discard Pool to their Dice Pool. These dice regain the property of having no defined pip value (as do all dice that are returned to the Dice Pool).

That just about covers the new terms. Next set-up:

1: Set-up all human players normally (pick your factions however you normally do amongst yourselves, or if it's just you; pick your factions of choice).
2: Remove the Factions you (and all other Human players) are playing as from the Faction Deck.
3: For each AI player create a Dice Pool of 20D6; and draw them two cards from the Faction Deck. The first is their Primary Faction, and the other their Secondary Faction.
4: Continue with a regular set-up and pick the first player.

Next up, sequence of play:

1: Human players take their turns normally.
2: When it is an AI players turn, they roll the Choice Dice and perform the generated Faction Action. Each AI player does this TWICE during their turn.
3: Play then passes to the next player; either human or AI.

If an AI player cannot take the Faction Action they have rolled because they do not have sufficient dice in their Dice Pool; then they Recycle. If they cannot however perform the Faction Action because there is no legal target; then they simply forfeit that generated Faction Action (this is equivalent to players being able to play an Action on their turn, but having no Action cards in their hand to play).

The last thing (and it's an important thing!) to cover, is the anatomy of a card from the Faction Deck. Which is tricky; as I've not made any yet. I can certainly paint you a picture though.

The Faction Actions on a card with give a flavor of how that Faction plays in the multiplayer game (so Robots will bring in lots of low powered Minion Dice, Wizards will roll more dice, Zombies will return from the Discard Pool etc); and the weighting of their Faction Actions will reflect the parent Faction too. So if a Faction has a deck that contains more Actions than Minions, then they'll have more Faction Actions that play like Actions.

That's about it for now.

If you like the idea, I hope you run with it; and I hope it helps scratch that Smash Up itch when you're on your lonesome.

Any feedback is most welcome. Keep on Smashing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Moser

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmb
Wouldn't it be cooler if there were, like, 10 d6, 5 d4, 5 d8? You draw them blindly out of the bag. It's the same average power but it can make recycling more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Grimshaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That's not a bad idea!

The variety would be good; but it might make the variant less accessible as loads of (if not most) gamers already have access to buckets of D6, and if not they can be bought over the counter (or online) in large quantities with ease. I think 20 would likely only cost £2 if you shop around. Polysets however tend to come in about £5 (or there abouts) at the bottom end of the market; and you're only getting 7 dice (and you'd need to buy a few sets per AI player, with a few dice in each you wouldn't use for this variant).

That said, most gamers (if they also roleplay) usually have 2-3 sets of poly dice; so they'd only need to source two additional D4 and two additional D8, which I'm sure would likely cost £1 or less at their FLGS..

So, if you have the dice go for it, but that's why I kept it pure D6 when tweaking the original variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans "Solo" Hiemenz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How are the Dice Minions getting onto the bases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.