Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A newcomer's review of MoM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title suggests I will preface this review by stating I have never played Mansions of Madness' 1st edition.

"Why have you never played MoM?"

- Glad you asked. I am a sucker for highly produced and overly thematic games (one might call these games 'ameritrash'). FFG especially holds a special place in my heart. The one thing I don't appreciate though is spending 30' setting up a game and the need for one player to take care of the game not turning into a complete mess...

Enter MoM second edition

"So what changed your mind?"

- Well apparently set-up time and removal of a GM via a newly released app have solved these issues... and boy have they ever!

"Omg I don't like the sound of an app being needed to play"

- I conpletely understand, but this is one instance where the app is almost the best part of the game.
What it does:

1) runs the GM side (Monster placement / token placement / random events / ...)
2) creates a random map for every scenario (there are 4 in total) you play (though obviously the differences are minor every time you play).
3) saves your game should you need to stop for the night.
4) adds tremendous amounts of atmosphere through interactive puzzles / spund effects and music / flavour text / etc...

I have enjoyed this game as a solo experience and with my girlfriend, the theme is there through and through.
I feared the randomness of dice rolls from previous Arkham experiences (especially Elder Sign) but so far because of equipment and clue tokens we've been able to mitigate bad rolls just fine.

One flaw I do find in the game is the quality of the miniatures. They sre not of the level als Descent 2.0 / Rebellion / Forbidden Stars / etc... I hooe FFG isn't planning on changing their component quality to this lesser plastic because I feel I should expect better from an expensive big box FFG release...

All in all I really like this game and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a thematic experience (and Lovecraft )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.