Subject: Great Family Game with a Fun Mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pixxel Wizzard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to describe the game "Four" is to say it is like "Spoons" on acid. Remember spoons, when the entire table would compete to get four of a kind and then race to grab a spoon? Well, in this game there aren't any spoons, but there is a victory token which someone can grab if they think another person has made four of a kind. That's right, you can't grab the victory token if you make four of a kind, only when you believe someone else has. Then you have to announce who you think it was. If you're right you can claim the token for your team, but if you're wrong the token goes to another team.

So, how do you know if someone has four of a kind? Teammates get to collaborate before the game and decide on a secret signal, which can be either verbal or non-verbal. Ideally, a player will successfully signal their teammate when they make four of a kind, and that teammate will grab the victory token and guess them as having made the set. However, alert players may discover their opponent's secret signal and use that information to their advantage! It's also possible to trick your opponent into making an incorrect guess with a fake signal.

In addition, many cards have text on them which give you abilities, like stealing cards from an opponent or drawing new cards from the deck.

In my opinion, this game is best suited for children and families. It has been a big hit with my children, 10 and 11, and I enjoy playing it with them because they enjoy it so much, and we all have fun as a result. However, it lacks the depth of strategy enjoyed by other micro games, such as Love Letter or Coup, and repeated plays will quickly expose the lack of variety in card playing tactics. It's the secret signal mechanic that keeps things interesting, and although this mechanic may have worn thin after a while for us adults, the kids couldn't get enough of it. As a result, this game will be played and enjoyed by all of us for some time, and we look forward to introducing it to our friends.

TLDR

If you have kids or friends with kids, this is a great family game and I can definitely recommend it. It is light and it is fun in the vein of games like UNO or Spoons, but don't expect too much strategy from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Christensen
msg tools
designer
pinkled5 wrote:
The best way to describe the game "Four" is to say it is like "Spoons" on acid. Remember spoons, when the entire table would compete to get four of a kind and then race to grab a spoon? Well, in this game there aren't any spoons, but there is a victory token which someone can grab if they think another person has made four of a kind. That's right, you can't grab the victory token if you make four of a kind, only when you believe someone else has. Then you have to announce who you think it was. If you're right you can claim the token for your team, but if you're wrong the token goes to another team.

So, how do you know if someone has four of a kind? Teammates get to collaborate before the game and decide on a secret signal, which can be either verbal or non-verbal. Ideally, a player will successfully signal their teammate when they make four of a kind, and that teammate will grab the victory token and guess them as having made the set. However, alert players may discover their opponent's secret signal and use that information to their advantage! It's also possible to trick your opponent into making an incorrect guess with a fake signal.

In addition, many cards have text on them which give you abilities, like stealing cards from an opponent or drawing new cards from the deck.

In my opinion, this game is best suited for children and families. It has been a big hit with my children, 10 and 11, and I enjoy playing it with them because they enjoy it so much, and we all have fun as a result. However, it lacks the depth of strategy enjoyed by other micro games, such as Love Letter or Coup, and repeated plays will quickly expose the lack of variety in card playing tactics. It's the secret signal mechanic that keeps things interesting, and although this mechanic may have worn thin after a while for us adults, the kids couldn't get enough of it. As a result, this game will be played and enjoyed by all of us for some time, and we look forward to introducing it to our friends.

TLDR

If you have kids or friends with kids, this is a great family game and I can definitely recommend it. It is light and it is fun in the vein of games like UNO or Spoons, but don't expect too much strategy from it.

Thanks Pixxel Wizzard for an honest review. We did design this game for families and intend it to be a gateway game for the gaming community.

In terms of depth of strategy we recommend playing the Advanced Mode.

For even more strategy we would suggest the Expansion called FOUR: Stranger Secrets which can be found on our website: www.marchforthgames.com This includes 7 new rules and character mechanics which challenge players to develop more creative signals.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our game!

Thanks again for your review.

(1 edit: misspelled word)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.