Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard several people say that riverwalk is a little bit of a disconnect.

This is steampunk. The mechs run on steam engines. Steam engines do not run underwater without special help. Think about how much extra it takes to run a car underwater, and how easy water on a car engine can disable the engine. Also steam engines need to be hot, so even if water did not get into the engine, cold river water splashing against the side of the fire chamber will cool the engine down and cause issues.

Riverwalk represents the engineer figuring out how to make the engine watertight and able to run without worry of water.

Do people agree or disagree? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
Thoughts?
This is a game mechanism first and foremost, as stated by the designer one of the big reasons for why a certain faction can only access a certain area across a river is so that you can't just run towards your neighbour's base and block them in.

Everybody can come up with whatever technobabble floats their boat (or mech, as the case may be) to explain the why.

If you are looking for critique of yours, I think it still doesn't explain why they can only access certain areas across rivers. It would explain certain starting areas though.

My personal favourite explanation I came across is that they are cultural taboos; doesn't make any logical sense, but neither do many cultural taboos in the real world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scholtanus
Netherlands
Beek (gem Montferland)
flag msg tools
I assumed the mechs were big enough to just ignore most of the river.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal favourite (that someone suggested) is that the mechs are created from all sorts of spare parts and scrap metal and that they have to be designed to be able to climb up the appropriate bank on the other side. So, if you scrounge together all your metal to build something that can withstand water and climb a craggy mountain on the other side, it wouldn't be the same as if you used those precious parts to roll onto the plains or navigate through a dense forest etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
If you are looking for critique of yours, I think it still doesn't explain why they can only access certain areas across rivers. It would explain certain starting areas though.

Different factions use different technological basis to get their mechs back onto land after fording a river with them, which are compatible with different terrain types is my explanation there. If you've got the equipment and mech design to haul your mech back to land by hooking into mountains with grappling hooks and pulling it out that way, that's not going to help if you're trying to reach a forest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rogers
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Well if you look at the nordic mechs they are like boats, maybe the legs retract inside and then they just sail over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Benson
Japan
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla999666 wrote:
This is steampunk.

Is there any game text or designer's notes that say the mechs use steam power? I assumed there was some parallel with our world's post WW1 technology where the early tanks used some kind of gasoline (?). Besides that some of the art shows a mysterious glowing power source, so that could be cold fusion or some other unobtainium.

I would say the theme is closer to "diesel punk", especially because most steam punk settings seem to be around the Victorian era, not Scythe's 1920s.

But maybe I missed some text or notes somewhere that address this topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnbenson wrote:
I would say the theme is closer to "diesel punk", especially because most steam punk settings seem to be around the Victorian era, not Scythe's 1920s.

THIS.

I get so irritated when people call any and all alternative historical sci-fi genre steampunk. There's no coal, and it's not the 1800s. Oil and metal definitely push it towards dieselpunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razordaze wrote:
gnbenson wrote:

THIS.

I get so irritated when people call any and all alternative historical sci-fi genre steampunk. There's no coal, and it's not the 1800s. Oil and metal definitely push it towards dieselpunk.

And dont forget that tanks can also move through water, using tubes to get air in and out to breathe and for the engine. So I can't see why mechs couldn't do the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert VG
msg tools
I don't know where they are getting the steampunk vibe from. This is alternative 1920s with OIL not coal on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's too bad that there couldn't have been pre-existing walls to start the game that would prevent factions from being blindsided by opponents. This would allow mechs to leave but would require an additional ability to enter. Then, instead of riverwalk you would simply reveal another ability (call it scaling or flying mechs). The hardest thing for people to get their heads around is all related to riverwalk. "Why can a mech leave a village and go to a forest, but it can't go back?" "Why do I constantly have to refer to a chart to see if faction X can attack me?" Etc etc.

I love this game, but this is just plain clunky with zero thematic basis in an otherwise INCREDIBLY thematic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Garcia
United States
McAllen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I don't play to win, but rather to ensure others have fun. That brings me joy.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a universe that Jamey created which is unlike ours in many aspects. I guess my justification would be that their creation of machinery may look sub-par akin to ours, BUT may be miles ahead technologically.

The game does mention that the mechs go through upgrades, although no art (or flavor text) is provided to appease our voluptuous imaginations on the "how" portion.

It would be amazing if Jamey kept this existing universe active for his next projects. Everything is beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Newsham
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Driving a mech into a river is the easy part. Dragging it out again is tough, and there's not enough hardpoints to mount weapons as well as the gear to grapple onto every type of terrain

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
balliztik2 wrote:
This is a universe that Jamey created which is unlike ours in many aspects.

Jamey licensed Jakub Rozalski's 1920s world for the game, so credit for the creation of this wonderful, wonderful, world should go to Jakub, not Jamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.