Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading through the PDF and noticed that it doesn't bring up what happens if a player is absent this session and ties for campaign glory when titles are assigned at the end of the game. Does it auto-choose the highest or lowest rank offered? No rush in an answer though. I won't have my copy for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Pishnery
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hmm, really? Page 22 of rule book suggests you use their province in a game even if they miss it. That would also suggest you re-assign title cards at the end of the game like normal and before putting away all the province chests. You also record the missing player's glory in that game (one less than lowest score), which also suggests you re-assign their title card based on that.

Quote:
Missing a game
If a player misses a game (or more) without withdrawing from the
campaign, do the following:
During setup, place any cards that the absent province has in their
usual spots (treasure room and/or council room). Place their ships in
their home harbor. Do not place gold or goods in their province.

If the province is entitled to an enmity token due to being of lesser
prominence, they still get the token(s).
This province may be raided as normal. Any ships and enmity they
have adds to the garrison.
When recording glory totals at game’s end, the missing province
receives one less glory than the lowest-scoring player.

When the player returns to the campaign, they improve their ships
once for every game missed and gain one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Keith said. It's not 100% clear, but I'm fairly sure he's got it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
True. Ultimately, I don't think it will break he game either way, since the only things affected are starting turn order and tiebreakers.

...until those AREN'T the only things affected. *eerie music*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nah, for sure stuff gets added to them in the future. On page 5 of the rules it says to follow the instructions on the cards, and that there are no bonuses on them at the start of the campaign. And from the pictures from Gen Con, it looks like there's a lot of space on the back of the cards to include stickers or whatnot. Sometimes a cigar is just a duck wearing an overcoat.

Don't break the game every single session, please. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I tried to help. It's clear that I'm 100% wrong about everything so deleted my answer. I will just march off the plank now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
I tried to help. It's clear that I'm 100% wrong about everything so deleted my answer. I will just march off the plank now.

Well now I have to delete the post where I respond to no one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Harris
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

Haha, no big deal. There's a flibbityjillion things going on with this game and you're right that there are ambiguities abound. No need to walk the plank (until the game tells you to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I said it was no rush, but I figured there'd be some response by now. People from the company have been around on the forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taraba wrote:
I know I said it was no rush, but I figured there'd be some response by now. People from the company have been around on the forums.

You asked during Gencon; my guess is the question fell off their radar. But perhaps they will confirm (or reject) Keith's answer now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
I'm not sure I understand fully. Remember that absent players don't actually keep their titles in absentia. If there's one fewer player present, than there's one fewer title in play. As such, any tie with a player absent his title would go to the holder of the higher title, ie. the one holding any title at all. Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If I'm understanding correctly the question you are asking is: if the campaign glory at the end of a game is tied how do you rearrange the titles for the tied players if one of the tied players was absent?

So I assume that you have already added everyone's game glory to the previous total (and that you used the lowest players glory and removed one)

This last step means for there to be a tie, the players who tied had to be the absent player and a player who previously had less campaign glory (before the game) and therefore a lower rank. According to the rules, thr player who started the game with the lowest rank chooses which of the possible ranks they are allowed first, then the other player takes the remainder.

E.g.

At the start of the game the campaign scores are A has 27, B 25, C 22 And D 20. C has to miss the next game, but confirms they will be back for the following game. During the missed game A gets 7 glory B gets 13 and D gets 8 glory, this means C would get 7-1= 6 glory.

The new campaign totals are A 34 B 38 C 28 and D 28. The titles are then rearranged based on campaign glory but Cand D are tied. As D had the lower rank going into the game they can choose which rank to take, leaving C with the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pillow
United Kingdom
Worcester
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Joou wrote:
I'm not sure I understand fully. Remember that absent players don't actually keep their titles in absentia. If there's one fewer player present, than there's one fewer title in play. As such, any tie with a player absent his title would go to the holder of the higher title, ie. the one holding any title at all. Is this right?

This is wrong and the rules don't say this. In fact they say the opposite.

Quote:
If the province is entitled to an enmity token due to being of lesser prominence, they still get the token(s).

Therefore if an absent player is coming back, then play as if they have their title, but for the first full game it won't matter as they don't get any benefit.

I believe you were getting confused with what happens if a player leaves permanently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
taraba wrote:

You asked during Gencon; my guess is the question fell off their radar. But perhaps they will confirm (or reject) Keith's answer now?

I was aware of that. Rob was answering questions around that time I believe. JR has been posting replies all month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Taraba
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pillinjer wrote:

This last step means for there to be a tie, the players who tied had to be the absent player and a player who previously had less campaign glory (before the game) and therefore a lower rank. According to the rules, thr player who started the game with the lowest rank chooses which of the possible ranks they are allowed first, then the other player takes the remainder.

You're right about that. The moment they tie the player with the less glory will pick first and that person must be in the game. Now if those two players are absent in the next game you'd have the problem because they would both gain the same glory, but hopefully that will be rare and I'm a little more inclined to just push their same relative position forward. So count and baron are absent after a game where they tied and now the old Lord has more campaign glory than them. So count -> baron and baron -> Lord since the old Baron already chose in the previous game to take the lower rank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.