fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/08/trump-military-spendin...

Politico wrote:
Trump's military spending flip-flop

Before Donald Trump favored boosting the defense budget, he was for slashing it.

At a rally this week in defense-industry-rich Northern Virginia, the GOP nominee agreed with an audience member who decried the damage caused by congressionally mandated, across-the-board budget cuts. “It’s true, it’s true,” Trump said after the person yelled out, “Sequestration’s killing us, too!”

But three years ago, Trump cheered the cuts — which included shaving the Pentagon budget by $31 billion in 2013 — as an important way to tackle the federal debt. He even said they were too small.

“It's a very small percentage of the cuts that should be made, and I think, really, it's being over exaggerated,” Trump told Fox News in a February 2013 interview, days before the sequester first took effect. “I think you're going to have to do a lot more cutting. If you're going to balance budgets, you're going to be doing a lot more cutting — and there's no question about it.”

The turnaround is the latest example of the confusing and often contradictory positions that Trump has staked out on the military. Just three months from Election Day, he has yet to even lay out a specific defense policy program.

He has, however, repeatedly called the military a “disaster” as a result of the policies pursued by the Obama administration and the GOP-led Congress, and he’s vowing to rebuild it.

"I’m going to make our military so big, so powerful, so strong, that nobody — absolutely nobody — is going to mess with us,” Trump says in a 23-second video stating his position on “the military” on his campaign website.

At the same time, he has pledged to rein in defense contractors and their boosters in Congress, criticizing them for forcing the Pentagon to buy what he labels unneeded weapons. If successful, that could force more factories to close. “A lot of the equipment that we get in the military is not the equipment that the generals want,” Trump said at a May rally in Indiana. “It’s forced down their throat by a company that is politically good but doesn’t make the equipment that is good.”

Trump's lack of specifics on defense spending follows a pattern of avoiding details on a host of policy issues, which makes it difficult to discern what he would do in the White House should he win in November.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be fair, he's been consistantly on the side of massive spending and big government all through the presidential campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm sure a real-estate guy and reality TV star is well qualified to know what our military needs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Me nah play no 'ide and seek
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I love how we need to spend more money on the military, while simultaneously walking away from our NATO and East Asian security commitments that have formed the backbone the postwar international order.

Lewis Carroll's got nothing on Trump Logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Well, I'm sure a real-estate guy and reality TV star is well qualified to know what our military needs.

Ron Reagan had been an actor but, still managed to acquaint himself with the realities of national defense and foreign policy before running for president. He also learned to listen at least some of the time while governing California.

With Trumps background, he should have the intelligence to become equally as fluent in realpolitik. Unfortunately, he seems more interested in grooming and protecting his name brand than in understanding strategic policy making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:

Look, I think Trump is a fucking jerk (I'm on record in this matter), but this really isn't a valid criticism. I mean, a former actor figured it out, as did more recently a community organizer. I like snark as much as the next guy, but in this regard Trump is no more or less qualified than most presidents since Bill Clinton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
mbmbmb
Think of it this way:

Trump is like Drew, and will say whatever it is he thinks he needs to say at that instant, without regards to truth or consistency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Shadrach wrote:
To be fair, he's been consistantly on the side of massive spending and big government all through the presidential campaign.

"To be fair", my patoot! Although his laundry list of delusionarily over-reaching political promises is already several miles long, as of this writing, Donald Trump has yet to explain how he proposes to pay for them.

So, quite the contrary, it's not fair at all that Trump hasn't spelled out in credible terms how he intends to accomplish all that stuff.

But then again, since he's yet to show us his tax returns, fairness apparently isn't in Trump's vocabulary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Rulesjd wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Ron Reagan had been an actor but, still managed to acquaint himself with the realities of national defense and foreign policy before running for president. He also learned to listen at least some of the time while governing California.

With Trumps background, he should have the intelligence to become equally as fluent in realpolitik. Unfortunately, he seems more interested in grooming and protecting his name brand than in understanding strategic policy making.

Since Dumb Donald can't even comprehend that nuclear missiles are actually intended to serve as a deterrence to war than for use in a conventional war, we're all reliving "Dr. StrangeLove" in the most horrifically surreal way with Donald Trump channeling George C. Scott's utterly clueless but recklessly warmongering General Buck Turgidson.

"If... we were to immediately launch an all-out and coordinated attack on all their airfields and missile bases we'd stand a damn good chance of catchin 'em with their pants down. Hell, we got 5-to-1 missile superiority as it is. We could easily assign 3 missiles to every target and still have a very effective reserve force for any other contingency... An unofficial study which we undertook of this eventuality indicates that we would destroy 90% of their nuclear capabilities. We would therefore prevail and suffer only modest and acceptable civilian casualties from the remaining force which would be badly damaged and uncoordinated."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.