Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Henry
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
So I made a digital prototype of a deck builder-ish idea I had from a while back. The theme is space-ish, and what I tried to do to kind of give it a bit of twist is to tie the number of cards you can play per round to the number of crew that you have on your ship. I tried to tie as much the game mechanic to the theme as much as possible for players who enjoy that type of thing, but some part of that translation is still sticking a bit I feel.

Mostly, I'm just trying to see if the basic game loop/mechanic is interesting? The game comes with 3 'modules'/scenarios, and I know the bottom 2 scenario has had some bugs that popped up (you win as soon as you start the game) but I havent been able to reliably reproduce it so I have yet to fix them. You can hit "R" to restart the game, and it should go away.

Technical bugs and implementation aside, if I can get some candid feedback on what I can do to make the game more interesting/thematic/fun, it would be greatly appreciated.

(This is an internal development testing copy, and I am using some placeholder art for the card arts. Those will of course be removed and replaced with original art if/when I get to a more formal release)

Space Rabbits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitri Sirenko
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
echo78 wrote:
So I made a digital prototype of a deck builder-ish idea I had from a while back. The theme is space-ish, and what I tried to do to kind of give it a bit of twist is to tie the number of cards you can play per round to the number of crew that you have on your ship. I tried to tie as much the game mechanic to the theme as much as possible for players who enjoy that type of thing, but some part of that translation is still sticking a bit I feel.

Mostly, I'm just trying to see if the basic game loop/mechanic is interesting? The game comes with 3 'modules'/scenarios, and I know the bottom 2 scenario has had some bugs that popped up (you win as soon as you start the game) but I havent been able to reliably reproduce it so I have yet to fix them. You can hit "R" to restart the game, and it should go away.

Technical bugs and implementation aside, if I can get some candid feedback on what I can do to make the game more interesting/thematic/fun, it would be greatly appreciated.

(This is an internal development testing copy, and I am using some placeholder art for the card arts. Those will of course be removed and replaced with original art if/when I get to a more formal release)

Space Rabbits

the link wont load

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3CreativeMinds wrote:
the link wont load

You have to download the file(s), as it is too large to display in Dropbox.

I just wander what an exe file has to do with board gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
mb
anijunk wrote:
3CreativeMinds wrote:
the link wont load

You have to download the file(s), as it is too large to display in Dropbox.

I just wander what an exe file has to do with board gaming.

Sorry about that. I built the project as a standalone exe file so that people can run the game without installing it. I should have made it more clear that it's the digital version of my board/card game prototype. I went with the digital route because 1) cheaper component cost as I iterate my designs, and 2) ease of distribution. This way many people can try out the gist of my idea without having to worry about doing print and play, setup/tear down time, etc.

Again, I'm just interested if anyone can give me their take on how 'fun' the basic implementation is. Much work needs to be done on tuning the scenario/modules to make it more tight, which is kind of why I made this post as so far, I've only had 2-3 people playtest it; and I believe that a wider and more unbiased feedback is needed to help me make this design 'better'.

If there are any concerns regarding the safety of the file, you can always submit it ton an online virus scanner like https://www.virustotal.com/ or the like to verify file integrity prior to running it. (It's a great idea to practice safe computing anyways)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.