Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Starlifter 88
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May be time to dust off Case Yellow.

I hope this Dunkirk movie is not another Pearl Harbor (2001).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Given Nolan, I think no Pearl Harbor reenactment is threatening us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Whetstone
msg tools
Nolan finally went for a subject as heavily plotted as his films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

for anyone who couldn't get the vid to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised (though pleased) that they are making a film on this. The 1958 film with John Mills and Richard Attenborough was pretty good. But will Americans be much interested? Picky, I know, but the uniforms and helmets look a bit too neat and clean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good trailer. Less is more, as the cliché goes.

Atonement had some good and atmospheric Dunkirk scenes, although it's not the main focus of the movie of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starlifter 88
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ozludo! Couldn't figure out what I did wrong there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Starlifter wrote:
Thanks Ozludo! Couldn't figure out what I did wrong there.

For a BGG youtube= tag, don't put the entire URL (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6BEcoM0zik) but rather put only the youtube video ID (K6BEcoM0zik).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
I am surprised (though pleased) that they are making a film on this. The 1958 film with John Mills and Richard Attenborough was pretty good. But will Americans be much interested? Picky, I know, but the uniforms and helmets look a bit too neat and clean.

That was my reaction, everything looked too clean. Nolan has a good track record, though, so I'm optimistic about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nolan is enough to get me to watch this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

According to IMDB, he even used real naval destroyers for the battle scenes. The authenticity!

I'd love to be in a budget meeting with this guy:

"So, we're gonna need a few vintage destroyers, 1,500 extras, Harry Styles, and we're gonna shoot it all on a rare, expensive film stock... oh yeah, and we'll need $5 million to refurbish a vintage plane, load it up with million dollar IMAX cameras, and crash it. Thanks!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very hopeful. Teaser was quite evocative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duckman wrote:

Atonement had some good and atmospheric Dunkirk scenes, although it's not the main focus of the movie of course.

Yes, Atonement has a beautiful Dunkirk sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:

The right Americans will be interested. Not sure what that definition is, but I'm interested...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:

... Especially when Batman shows up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be really cool if Miracle at Dunkerque was released during the buildup to the movie.

No pressure. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinboy24 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

... Especially when Batman shows up...

Aren't the BEF soldiers spending much of their time spinning tops while encamped on the beach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
winheath wrote:
but the uniforms and helmets look a bit too neat and clean.

That's a blatant distortion of history to appeal to the American audience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:
winheath wrote:

The right Americans will be interested. Not sure what that definition is, but I'm interested...

Greg, no offence intended towards Americans who I hold in high regard: simply a question of box office and financing. Not really sure we needed another Dunkirk movie and I'm still hoping for a film on Kohima and Imphal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"It would be really cool if Miracle at Dunkerque was released during the buildup to the movie."

Ha - I just sent an e-mail to Randy Lein with that exact thought. It would be a very achievable target date for the game (the movie releases in July 2017) and a wonderful promotional opportunity.

Thanks!

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this when I watched Suicide Squad Thursday night.
The only trailer I saw that made me go, "Hmmm...now that looks worth seeing."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
seanmac wrote:
Duckman wrote:

I actually hated that bit of the film. It really dragged in the movie - bringing it to a shuddering halt. It was almost as if the director was saying "here's the money, look how much money we had, this is where we spent it, look at all this!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
seanmac wrote:
Duckman wrote:

I actually hated that bit of the film. It really dragged in the movie - bringing it to a shuddering halt. It was almost as if the director was saying "here's the money, look how much money we had, this is where we spent it, look at all this!"

If anything, the surreal scenes of Dunkirk was incredible. It opens with a single 5 minute take going through a whole beach area. In terms of direction and coordination showing the chaos and insanity of Dunkirk, it was an amazing to pull off up there with the Goodfellas Copacabana and The Longest Day scene with the French Commandos at Ouistreham.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Perhaps they could increase the appeal to an American audience by having the British rescued by an US aircraft carrier? Possibly with Patton chewing his cigar at the helm of a small sailing boat while slapping the RN guy around because he insists on drinking a cup of tea rather than rescuing the guys on the beach.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
calvinboy24 wrote:
Jon_1066 wrote:

If anything, the surreal scenes of Dunkirk was incredible. It opens with a single 5 minute take going through a whole beach area. In terms of direction and coordination showing the chaos and insanity of Dunkirk, it was an amazing to pull off up there with the Goodfellas Copacabana and The Longest Day scene with the French Commandos at Ouistreham.

For sure it was an amazing shot but in that movie at that point it was superfluous. As an opening scene for a movie about Dunkirk it might have been great but parachuted into the middle of a character piece - it just didn't work for me. It came over as bloated and self indulgent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.