Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not received my copy of Mansion 2.0 yet, so I have a question for those that have (or play-testers, etc.).

Is there any need to keep the monsters on their original, rather large bases? I believe I read that the tokens are no longer unique? So could they be kept to the side of the board and referenced as needed?

I am seriously considering switching all my minis for this game over to acrylic bases. Which of course would serve no purpose except making the board more visible. I hate to hide the board art under those clunky monster bases if there really isn't a need to.

Next would be the decision whether I should also remove the pre-painted "Premium" figures that I have as well (possibly including Investigators). I suppose it would ruin their "value" if I ever look to sell, but that is highly unlikely anyway. If anything, I might possibly sell my duplicates of those, but that would be it.

Thoughts? I look forward to everyone's responses. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no reason you couldn't just keep the tokens to the side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Switching to acrylic bases?0
Yes, you are correct in thinking your plan would work. The token stats are identical for all of each monster type. The special attacks that used to be on the back are now dealt with by the app.

And now you've got me thinking. Hmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks for the quick response. Still undecided, but leaning that way at the moment. I have never used acrylic bases, so I am going to have to explore the possibility a bit.

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Edwards
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you post a photo of the result, please? I'd like to see how well it works. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if I move forward with this I will be sure to post pics. I am working on what size and quantity will be needed right now. Just so I can get an idea what this may cost me. I am of course basing this (no pun intended) on pics of the figs from V2. It appears that the largest bases in V2 are actually bigger than those from 1E? At least from what I see in available pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Fox
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a link to the acrylic bases you were contemplating? You've got me curious as well. I'd like to see a representative example of what it might look like if you've found a link to a photo or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been looking at litko, they have a good selection and I can mix and match to find what I need there. I have no doubt there are cheaper sources (ebay, etc.), but Litko makes it easy to at least put together what is needed.
http://www.litko.net/categories/Bases-%26-Base-Bottoms/Acryl...

So far, it appears I might be around $50, which I believe would include enough bases to cover all of the 1E stuff and 2E. Its not cheap!

I haven't found examples yet of MoM on acrylic, but I found plenty of Zombicide links where people have made the change.
https://www.reddit.com/r/zombicide/comments/3c9t85/rebased_z...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was one of my biggest complaints about 1e. If you had a handful of monsters in one room they wouldn't fit and it just created a mess. I would love to see what you come up with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cgates wrote:
Yes, if I move forward with this I will be sure to post pics. I am working on what size and quantity will be needed right now. Just so I can get an idea what this may cost me. I am of course basing this (no pun intended) on pics of the figs from V2. It appears that the largest bases in V2 are actually bigger than those from 1E? At least from what I see in available pics.

I don't think they are. I'm pretty certain they're the same bases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thats good to know. I didn't have access to the figures at the moment. So I was going on a couple of assumptions. The Riot figures, from the AH Premium line, were considered large. But in the pic I see of 2.0 they look smaller than the largest figure base. SO I assumed they included a new size.

Based on your feedback, I would assume then that the Riot figures are on the medium sized base and the other is on the large base, as was the Dark Young for example.

Appreciate the response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cgates wrote:
Based on your feedback, I would assume then that the Riot figures are on the medium sized base and the other is on the large base, as was the Dark Young for example.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
It's also just flavour text on the back isn't it? So as long as you know your Lovecraft monsters, you could even just rebase and paint the three numbers on the base yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Baltimore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cgates wrote:
I have been looking at litko, they have a good selection and I can mix and match to find what I need there. I have no doubt there are cheaper sources (ebay, etc.), but Litko makes it easy to at least put together what is needed.

So far, it appears I might be around $50, which I believe would include enough bases to cover all of the 1E stuff and 2E. Its not cheap!

I haven't found examples yet of MoM on acrylic, but I found plenty of Zombicide links where people have made the change.

I actually have some Litko bases (the clear circular 1.5mm ones) to test out and now I'm working on getting the sizes right. 25mm for the small miniatures (Cultist,Investigators,etc.,) and 40mm for the Cthonian (the 50mm is what's shown in the photo and is just a tad too big). Others will get 25mm, 40mm and 63.5mm based on how big the miniature is. They really open up the board more and you can place more into those tighter areas than before. Hope that gives you some idea on how they are/look.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of glue to use to avoid the white frosting effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Baltimore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
What kind of glue to use to avoid the white frosting effect?

I use the Craftics #33 Thick Acrylic Cement:
http://www.litko.net/products/Craftics-%2333-Thick-Acrylic-C...

It's tricky to use so I would suggest trying it out first on something you can goof around with. Once you are comfortable with it, then go for it.

It's toxic, so you want to have on a dust mask and wear latex gloves. I always don't mess around when it comes to using something like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I am seriously considering remounting all my minis on these. Are you going to do the investigators also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Gates
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Necronomicon wrote:
cgates wrote:

I actually have some Litko bases (the clear circular 1.5mm ones) to test out and now I'm working on getting the sizes right. 25mm for the small miniatures (Cultist,Investigators,etc.,) and 40mm for the Cthonian (the 50mm is what's shown in the photo and is just a tad too big). Others will get 25mm, 40mm and 63.5mm based on how big the miniature is. They really open up the board more and you can place more into those tighter areas than before. Hope that gives you some idea on how they are/look.

Cheers!

Thanks for the pics/examples, that def helps me get a better idea of how this will look. And the additional size suggestions are also a huge help. For some reason I was using the size of the original base as a guideline for the acrylic replacement, which was overkill for sure.

I am now just trying to go through the figures to get a count for each size. Unfortunately I think I will have to wait until 2E arrives so I can double-check the new stuff. If I go this route, I want to be sure to pick up enough bases to cover all 1E & 2E. I am thinking 25mm & 40mm may cover most of it. I am not sure I will even base the largest figures, which would require 60mm+, as those stand pretty well on their own and don't really need a base. Although I may end up doing anyway just to keep things consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Baltimore
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Thanks! I am seriously considering remounting all my minis on these. Are you going to do the investigators also?

Yep. I wont take them off their bases yet though until after I'm done painting them. The monsters are off anyway so they will only need to get painted (everything gets matt/gloss varnished), then mounted onto the clear bases last.

cgates wrote:
Necronomicon wrote:
cgates wrote:

Cheers!

Thanks for the pics/examples, that def helps me get a better idea of how this will look. And the additional size suggestions are also a huge help. For some reason I was using the size of the original base as a guideline for the acrylic replacement, which was overkill for sure.

I am now just trying to go through the figures to get a count for each size. Unfortunately I think I will have to wait until 2E arrives so I can double-check the new stuff. If I go this route, I want to be sure to pick up enough bases to cover all 1E & 2E. I am thinking 25mm & 40mm may cover most of it. I am not sure I will even base the largest figures, which would require 60mm+, as those stand pretty well on their own and don't really need a base. Although I may end up doing anyway just to keep things consistent.

It's all a matter of preference if you want the bigger models mounted or not. For me, some have a slight wobble to them anyway so this will just keep all of the miniatures sitting nice and flat on the tiles. It's a project but they will all have a nice 'clean' look to them once I'm done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Sworrenn
msg tools
Since I have already put in the token under the base, if I choose to rebase do you think it is OK just to take out one of each token? Is there any reason to have six cultist tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I like the looked these and it makes sense. But - are we SURE the token will never be unique down the road?

Also, be sure to leave a spot for the rune token to lay. Now, when there are multiple versions of a baddie, the app shows a rune next to each new one that spawns. They provided little counters that match which fit into the slot on the chunky bases. I needed two of these markers during my last play.

It does look very nice and storage would be easier too.

OSG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Leo
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
oldschoolgamr wrote:
I like the looked these and it makes sense. But - are we SURE the token will never be unique down the road?

Also, be sure to leave a spot for the rune token to lay. Now, when there are multiple versions of a baddie, the app shows a rune next to each new one that spawns. They provided little counters that match which fit into the slot on the chunky bases. I needed two of these markers during my last play.

OSG

When I had to use the runes, they fit extremely loosely in the stock base. I might make some custom slots on some acrylic bases for the runes to fit into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Cheow
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mb
quasistellar wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:

OSG

When I had to use the runes, they fit extremely loosely in the stock base. I might make some custom slots on some acrylic bases for the runes to fit into.

Do let us see how your custom slots go!

also i would like to ask if scratching of acylic bases is an issue as i've never used them before.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have yet to use these epoxy stickers, but hear they make good clear bases: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AFRWIRQ/ref=oh_aui_sear...

Not my mini's:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/199493-tvays-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Noob question, should I paint them before rebasing? Or base them and be careful, or cover with masking tape or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.