Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
The Patriots engineer the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history and give Brady and Belichek their fifth championship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really breaking a bunch of personal rules with this posting. I usually hate it when people propose variants that they haven't tried themselves. Hey, give it a trial yourself before you post instead of hoping we'll do your dirty work for you! In addition, I tend not to be too fond of variants which try to squeeze a different number of players into a game than it was designed for. There are tons of great games out there, for all numbers of players. Doesn't it make more sense to play a game that you know works well with the number of folks you have, rather than trying to morph another game to fit that number? There was probably a good reason that game didn't recommend that player number!

So naturally, I'm proposing an untested variant for playing Fields of Arle, which is strictly a 2-player game, with 3! I make my apologies up front. But I just played this for the first time and, in addition to enjoying it hugely, I kept thinking that there really wasn't anything here stopping it from working with 3. So after giving it all of 15 minutes thought, I figured I'd post something here, if only so y'all could tell me how stupid the idea is.

Here's how a 3-player game would work:

* First, you'd need a few extra components. Worker tokens of a third color is one, although that wouldn't be hard to scare up. A third player board would be tougher. Either duplicate something on a computer or find a second copy of the game and swipe one of the boards. Finally, each player would need two other tokens of their color; cubes would work fine.

* Each player will only have 3 workers, not 4. That way the total number of workers placed each turn is comparable to the 2-player game.

* Play 12 half-years, instead of 9. 12 x 3 = 9 x 4, so each player will have the same number of worker actions as in the 2-player game. So there will be 6 Summer turns and 6 Winter turns.

* Choose the first player randomly and player order will go clockwise initially. Create a small board with 3 spaces on it and put a token from each player on it to show the player order. Draw three more spaces in the row directly below this.

* In each turn, two actions from the opposite season can be chosen, not just one. The first player to choose such an action puts their additional token in the third space of the bottom row on the Player Order board (so they'll be going last next turn). The second player to choose such an action puts their additional token in the second space of that row. If only one or none of these actions are chosen in a turn, the first player goes third and the other players move up one spot.

* You can't use your vehicles after turn 10. This is the only rule change that seems clunky to me, but I'm afraid without it, the vehicles would be too powerful with 12 turns of use (and it would be too easy to complete all your travel). I decided to give the players 10 turns of use instead of 9 to make up for the smaller number of actions per turn. If someone can come up with a more refined method of limiting vehicles, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

* Animals don't breed on the last turn, even though it's a Winter turn. That should make the number of animals at the end comparable to what you see with 2 players.

That's it. Really, very few changes seem necessary. The turn order rules were the only ones I really had to think about--the rest of them just came naturally.

I honestly don't see why this variant couldn't work. The only negative aspect I can think of is the duration. In several of Uwe's earlier games, he gave us multiplayer designs that really did play best with 2 (Loyang is probably the best example of that), so it's very possible the reason they didn't make Arle a 3-player game was concerns about how long the game would be. But many experienced players report 90 minute durations with 2, so I could easily see a 3-player game only lasting 2-2.5 hours, which shouldn't be a problem at all.

Anyway, I'm going to see if I can try this myself, but if some more experienced players want to comment on the variant, to point out something obvious I haven't considered, that would be great. And if someone actually tries it, I'd love to hear how it goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, a 3 player expansion will be published in 2017!
It will introduce ships and Tea as a new resource besides wood and clay, since the people from East Frisia are very fond of their black tea, a special blend that is mixed in that region only.
Players will be able to dig ditches as an alternative way to dry the bog and to speed up agriculture and sheep breeding. Also new buildings will be introduced.
The game for 3 players will go over 7 half years and the players will each start with 2 crafting developments/improvements.

Of course the expansion will be a great addition to a 2player game as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wilky
Germany
Hilden
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nan3000 wrote:
Actually, a 3 player expansion will be published in 2017!
It will introduce ships and Tea as a new resource besides wood and clay, since the people from East Frisia are very fond of their black tea, a special blend that is mixed in that region only.
Players will be able to dig ditches as an alternative way to dry the bog and to speed up agriculture and sheep breeding. Also new buildings will be introduced.
The game for 3 players will go over 7 half years and the players will each start with 2 crafting developments/improvements.

Of course the expansion will be a great addition to a 2player game as well!

WOW wow wow wow wow xannot friggin wait. Pre order soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan H
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, that's super exciting! Can't wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will this expansion include the Advent Calendar pieces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the reprint of the base game going to coincide with the release of the expansion, aka 2017?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.