Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Kanban, Kraftwagen or Automania rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Which would you recommend for two and why? We usually prefer heavier games if that matters but are fans of scoring objectives and multiple paths to victory
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Kanban or Kraftwagen
Kanban is one of my favorites and I prefer it over Kraftwagen, but that doesn't help you. Are you aware you could try Kanban online at Boiteajeux (or something like that)?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just starting research on kraftwagen so I'm also interested in others responses. I love Glen more though, but also the gallerist.but I love to be able to play games in smaller time slots since it is more common.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Kraftwagen once so take it with a grain of salt, but I felt It was generally more advantageous to jump farther ahead in Glen More than I did Kraftwagen...I felt that mechanism was better implemented in Glen More...it just doesn't make as much sense to jump too far ahead in Kraftwagen...however this mechanism is just one part of the game in Kraftwagen...there are other quite important decisions/mechanisms that have to be made/used well to score well in Kraftwagen.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kanban: Automotive Revolution
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you on Automania; despite my understanding it utilises a very good mechanism for action selection, and that I heard it was good, the presentation put me off.

Although Kanban is the best game of the three, I would be loathe to even try it with two players; it just doesn't seem to be deigned for that number (despite accommodating it). That doesn't mean it wouldn't work; I would just be loathe to even try.

Kraftwagen, on the other hand, I know to be excellent with two players (I know this from experience). None of the tension is lost when it is scaled down to two players, and the game is one with multiple paths to victory.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all 3, and I like Kraftwagen the best, so I want to vote for that, but I do want to make sure I'm helping you with what game will fit you. I do think it can play well with 2 as others have said. There is the randomness of the tech cards, but I think the new tiles from the V6 edition really help with that as they allow some players who are falling behind in categories to get a boost in different ways, or they even occasionally allow a player to grab the top discarded tech. With that in mind, I think I can suggest it as a good choice for you.

Kanban was also good. You said you like heavier games, so I can say it fits what you may like. There are a lot of rules that make it possible the most thematic of the three, like a boss pawn that wanders through the factory seeing how well everyone is doing their job, possible giving out performance based bonuses.

Automania was definitely the lightest of the 3 by a long shot, to the point where I didn't enjoy it as much. I like it more than some other light games that have come out lately like Quadropolis, but if you prefer heavier games, I think this is the choice I can most easily steer you away from.

In the end, I had a Goldilocks experience with these games. Kanban was a bit heavier than I like to own, and Automania was a bit too light. Kraftwagen was just right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:


Although Kanban is the best game of the three, I would be loathe to even try it with two players; it just doesn't seem to be deigned for that number (despite accommodating it). That doesn't mean it wouldn't work; I would just be loathe to even try.


You're the first person I've ever heard say this.


Best Recommended Not Recommended Vote Count
1 0.0% (0) 5.3% (1) 94.7% (18) 19
2 23.1% (9) 69.2% (27) 7.7% (3) 39
3 54.5% (24) 45.5% (20) 0.0% (0) 44
4 63.0% (29) 34.8% (16) 2.2% (1) 46
more than 4 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 100.0% (14) 14
Total voters 53
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
fellonmyhead wrote:


Although Kanban is the best game of the three, I would be loathe to even try it with two players; it just doesn't seem to be deigned for that number (despite accommodating it). That doesn't mean it wouldn't work; I would just be loathe to even try.


You're the first person I've ever heard say this.


Best Recommended Not Recommended Vote Count
1 0.0% (0) 5.3% (1) 94.7% (18) 19
2 23.1% (9) 69.2% (27) 7.7% (3) 39
3 54.5% (24) 45.5% (20) 0.0% (0) 44
4 63.0% (29) 34.8% (16) 2.2% (1) 46
more than 4 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 100.0% (14) 14
Total voters 53


Well, so he's the third or fourth that's said that

I definitely wouldn't say that as I think Kanban scales incredibly well across all player counts. In fact, I believe Vital says that he plays mainly with two when he designs his games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read this review ?

Might help you decide about Kraftwagen.
Haven't played the other two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played two of them, Kanban and Kraftwagen. I really love Kraftwagen, but it's not heavy by any means especially compared to Kanban. Kanban was enjoyable, but like many Lacerta games : once I play one...I'm good for another year at least to play it again. He makes great games, but I prefer medium to medium heavy Euros and he's definitely HEAVY.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rayzor6 wrote:
I've only played two of them, Kanban and Kraftwagen. I really love Kraftwagen, but it's not heavy by any means especially compared to Kanban. Kanban was enjoyable, but like many Lacerta games : once I play one...I'm good for another year at least to play it again. He makes great games, but I prefer medium to medium heavy Euros and he's definitely HEAVY.


I might get both, so is Automainia redundant then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know...I've never played it
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feld Fan
United States
flag msg tools
Kanban: Automotive Revolution over Automania, at any player count.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
fellonmyhead wrote:


Although Kanban is the best game of the three, I would be loathe to even try it with two players; it just doesn't seem to be deigned for that number (despite accommodating it). That doesn't mean it wouldn't work; I would just be loathe to even try.


You're the first person I've ever heard say this.


Best Recommended Not Recommended Vote Count
1 0.0% (0) 5.3% (1) 94.7% (18) 19
2 23.1% (9) 69.2% (27) 7.7% (3) 39
3 54.5% (24) 45.5% (20) 0.0% (0) 44
4 63.0% (29) 34.8% (16) 2.2% (1) 46
more than 4 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 100.0% (14) 14
Total voters 53


Well, so he's the third or fourth that's said that

I definitely wouldn't say that as I think Kanban scales incredibly well across all player counts. In fact, I believe Vital says that he plays mainly with two when he designs his games.


Despite the statistical analysis and the belief in Vital's design approach, I am still loathe to even try.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't tried it then you don't know.. I'm confident Kanban is great with two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
If you haven't tried it then you don't know.. I'm confident Kanban is great with two.

What I do know from my plays is that I preferred four players to three. Two players I won't entertain on that basis. I think I've played enough games in my lifetime to know what I prefer. Regardless, Kanban is a good choice; and you seem to have made that choice already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fellonmyhead wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
If you haven't tried it then you don't know.. I'm confident Kanban is great with two.

What I do know from my plays is that I preferred four players to three. Two players I won't entertain on that basis. I think I've played enough games in my lifetime to know what I prefer. Regardless, Kanban is a good choice; and you seem to have made that choice already.


I am tired of people who prefer games with more saying they are bad with two/less. Sometimes it's a design flaw but most of the time just a personal preference.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
fellonmyhead wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
If you haven't tried it then you don't know.. I'm confident Kanban is great with two.

What I do know from my plays is that I preferred four players to three. Two players I won't entertain on that basis. I think I've played enough games in my lifetime to know what I prefer. Regardless, Kanban is a good choice; and you seem to have made that choice already.


I am tired of people who prefer games with more saying they are bad with two/less. Sometimes it's a design flaw but most of the time just a personal preference.

I am tired of people who post on this site for advice and are then completely dismissive of the advice given, out of hand. Nobody said it was a "design flaw"; furthermore, if you haven't tried it with any number of players, you cannot possibly know either.

Whatever; the choice is yours, not mine; I have a copy already...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.