Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Atlantic Wall: D-Day to Falaise» Forums » General

Subject: British Ultra Intel just before D-Day rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shortly before 6 June Eisenhower was summoned to Ultra HQ for an intel briefing of the upmost importance. Seems the Germans had moved in a Division to the Cotentin Peninsula at Normandy. The problem was this division was specifically designed to repel para infantry. When Eisenhower realized this unit was in the path of the 82nd Airborne Division he reportedly gasped and had to sit down. Operation Overlord was too close to execution however and not a thing could be done. Imagine keeping that to yourself. This is historically confirmed citing the arrival date to the area of the 91st and the exceptional number of para units attached...

I see now that operation Overlord was planned prior to the arrival of the 91st. That really changes how it is viewed somewhat doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They actually changed the plan based on that intel. The 82nd was supposed to land on the west side of the Contentin. With the arrival of the new division, they changed the plan and went for a less ambitious drop, placing the 82nd adjacent to the 101st.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interesting, I had no idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Youst
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
designer
Joey,

Yes. The 82nd was originally supposed to land near La-Haye-du-Puits to completely sever the Cotentin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...seems the Germans were doing their homework. I wonder if they wargamed it out and realized the peninsula could so easily be cut off?

No wonder Ike chose Normandy, without the 91st around it's a sure bet to isolate Cherbourg and have a port. I think I'd need to take a seat too if you dropped a bombshell on me last minute like that for such a large effort...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.