$20.00
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a standalone game compatible with Shadows of Brimstone. Forbidden fortress is set in feudal japan. the core box has Belly of Beast tiles on reverse.

Planned kickstarter after Shadows of Brimstone in completed.

All info sourced from : https://twitter.com/jonathanhliu

Checkout Jonathan's twitter link for lots of photos and info.
https://twitter.com/jonathanhliu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Forbidden Fortress ( Gencon 2016 reveal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Should be a nice addition!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I wonder if this is all the 4-6 slot about announcing their next project will be about. I was really excited to hear the reports cause I'm a bit over Shadows of Brimstone, at least in the sense of hearing about nothing else for 2+ years...and now the big new project is just Shadows of Edo. Bit of a disappointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. The old west theme appeals to me more but curious how this integrates with SoB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gladly welcome more monsters and otherworlds, but I feel like this is going to be analogous to how Legendary: Villains – A Marvel Deck Building Game is to regular Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game: fully compatible, but never fleshed out and eventually falling to the wayside in favor of the original game.

In addition, I'm surprised they didn't instead announce some expansions for some of their other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tremblay
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I thought Belly of the Beast was a stretch goal from the SoB kickstarter?
Maybe it'll be available for both?

I have only enough cash and space for one game of this magnitude. Spent a lot of cash on building up SoB, I will continue along with this product. Will need more info to make a solid judgement call, not sure if they are shooting themselves in the foot here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnt Lightning wrote:

I have only enough cash and space for one game of this magnitude, not sure if they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Don't think of it as another game, just think of it as another SoB core set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pako FuNkyBoY
Spain
Castelldefels
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will be like CotA or SoD, a core set, instead on wild west set up in feudal japan ¡ with an other world, belly of the beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
funkyboy wrote:
I think it will be like CotA or SoD, a core set, instead on wild west set up in feudal japan ¡ with an other world, belly of the beast.

So weird...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's an interesting idea. If they are just doing this as another core set with an OtherWorld like the other two. That kind of works. But I do agree with Tom, I don't have enough room to store another huge miniature game. I have a whole shelf devoted to SoB and a lot of expensive storage bags.

What might make sense is all future Otherworld sets are generic for either game system and come with cards for both. One thing that kind of shoots themselves in the foot is the card backs. You can't just toss them together, you'll need separate sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe since it's called Belly of the Beast, it will be the one to introduce Purpose to the franchise.

Play SoB normally to have your never-ending Sandbox RPG, play BotB for a stricter win/lose campaign?

One can hope, anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Maybe since it's called Belly of the Beast, it will be the one to introduce Purpose to the franchise.

Play SoB normally to have your never-ending Sandbox RPG, play BotB for a stricter win/lose campaign?

One can hope, anyways.

Ooh , I like that . Maybe an overarching campaign / stricter standalone box . I was particularly interested in the theme direction they went with Trederra and Derelict spaceship expansions for Shadows of Brimstone . Let's see how this setting evolves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I campaign book like Hexcrawl was my hope for new content. I agree, the game needs some kind of overall scenario/story elements. They are great at doing sandbox games, but don't seem interested in campaign systems. I expect they won't add this to the new game either. That's just not something they seem interested in.

I wish they'd consider working with a partner on that front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enie kamozi
United States
Tewksbury
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I campaign book like Hexcrawl was my hope for new content. I agree, the game needs some kind of overall scenario/story elements. They are great at doing sandbox games, but don't seem interested in campaign systems. I expect they won't add this to the new game either. That's just not something they seem interested in.

I wish they'd consider working with a partner on that front.

It's top secret but I am actually working on a custom scenario where a village goes dark and our intrepid heroes need to go into the nearby mines to figure out source of this , only to find some opened eggs and a large xenomorph royalty ( I have a bunch of minis from Alien vs Predator the board game ) whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting how a samurai/Japanese themed game is being announced (or at least teased) from both Eric Lang (Rising Sun) and Flying Frog (Forbidden Fortress).... must be the next hot theme. Seriously though, at least it is different and not another cthulhu game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some months ago I sent an email to FFP by the title feedback/suggestion in which I said in order to expand the game making a new core set would have been a good idea (to make a new easy entry point for other players).

I like this new set I'm just a bit worried about the heroes rules/mechanics compatibility with the original SoB.

As most of the artifacts are guns etc...

So basically it looks like this set brings two worlds: Belly of the Beast AND feudal Japan world.

Will Feudal Japan Heroes be able to visit Brimstone Mines as well?
Can they use Shotguns, Dynamite etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Downing
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Feudal Japan had some interesting firearms of their own, so I don't think it would be unreasonable to allow them to use them, even if that set doesn't include any among the gear cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Feudal Japan firearms where Portuguese 1-shot guns from the 16th century.
They used guns to overpower Korea in 1592 (but they failed).

In 1850, they were not really fighting anyone, but they had Perry's black ships and then Meiji. At that point they really invested in military technology
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are getting a samurai hero in SoB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Florio
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah I know about the wandering Samurai.

I'm just worried about the item compatibility etc...

Also, I think they will came with their own otherworld + the belly of the beast.

Their own otherword will have probably its own artifact/gear card item set that differs from the mine one.

I'm curious if they will be able to visit the Brimstone Mines as an "otherworld" on their own.

Anyway, day1 or kickstarter day1 (I wish I did the original Kickstarter, since I spent already 1000$ or more (including various shipping costs) to try to get the same content
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:

One can hope, anyways.

I hope for the reverse. I love the sandbox. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnt Lightning wrote:

It was a stretch goal that wasn't reached by the funding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When is the kickstarter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Exo Desta wrote:

One can hope, anyways.

I hope for the reverse. I love the sandbox. meeple

You already have the reverse! And if this standalone game did bring a structured campaign, you could still use all the other components (new loots, new enemies, new tiles + map cards, etc) in the sandbox game.

It would just give you the option of testing your dungeon crawl skills.

Don't you think you could hold up, Max?

()
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.