Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Natera
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know, without giving away spoilers, just how much fantasy is in this fantasy world? The rulebook and previews provided so far all seem to present a 4X game that's fairly grounded in reality. (Evoking the age of sword and sail.) But as the adventure develops does it turn into magic/spells/wizards/undead monsters??? Or does it stay fairly true to a realistic historical feel?

(Might be too early to ask this question since it's just now hitting the street.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
I do not have the game, but purely from speculation I would guess that there are some fantasy elements in the game. Spoilering just in case (pure speculation follows)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rob Daviau mentioned that his initial idea for this game was "Indiana Jones at sea". As you might be aware, Indiana Jones leans very, very heavily on fantasy.

Additionally, from what we know so far, there is a "mysterious archway" just past the fourth island. This site is printed on the board. If videogames have taught me anything, I suspect this archway will be a sort of portal used to facilitate travel to the middle of the board when more and more islands are discovered. I suspect some degree of ancient civilization a la Atlantis will come into play as well. Personally, I have my fingers crossed for some good ol' Jules Verne style submarines.

I may be entirely wrong, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the pitch was Indiana Jones in the Age of Sail, which suggests realism - (if you discount the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
DragonCat wrote:
I believe the pitch was Indiana Jones in the Age of Sail, which suggests realism - (if you discount the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) cool

I guess the Ark of the Covenant, Aztek gods and immortal Crusaders all qualify as realistic now?I don't sarcasm very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
DragonCat wrote:
I believe the pitch was Indiana Jones in the Age of Sail, which suggests realism - (if you discount the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) :cool:

I guess the Ark of the Covenant, Aztek gods and immortal Crusaders all qualify as realistic now?I don't sarcasm very well.

Good point. Plus I think we can ALL discount the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except Crystal Skull was alien tech/UFO BS, not magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In service to the Imperium of Man
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Except Crystal Skull was alien tech/UFO BS, not magic.

So perhaps...the most realistic of them all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No spoilers, pure speculation: I think it will have a moderate to heavy dose of the fantastic. I doubt that this will involve outright spell-casting or wizardry, but it will likely include sea monsters and mystic artifacts. The rulebook notes that "There is an ancient stone archway in the deep ocean, large enough to sail a ship through. No one knows its exact purpose." This is likely a hint as to what is yet to come.

I do not speak from experience, though, and those who *do* have experience have been very quiet about it, so you'll have to make your own call. Which would you prefer?

Also: how does a face melting laser beam shooting Ark of the Covenant qualify as "realistic"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Which would you prefer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
Which would you prefer?

Are you echoing my question, or asking me? If the latter, my preference is to have either flavor of game in front of me now! Seriously, though, I think either style of game has a lot of potential, and both appeal to me in different ways (ie, scratch different itches, so to speak).

I can see how some people might have strong preferences toward one or the other, though, which is why I threw that question out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
There is, of course, no way to answer this without spoilers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't know the answer, but I do feel fairly confident in saying this: Whether the game stays fairly grounded in reality (ancient relics, savage natives, erupting volcanoes) or swings wildly to fantasy (ghost pirates, krakens, and mermaids, oh my!) those elements will always be secondary to the actions and interactions of the players. The setting and story are there to support and challenge our play, not to overshadow us or dictate our playstyle.

So in short, the answer shouldn't affect your reasons for wanting to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:

So in short, the answer shouldn't affect your reasons for wanting to play this game.

I understand where you are coming from, but personally my family chooses to avoid the overtly supernatural/magical in all our entertainment choices: Movies, TV shows, books, or even boardgames. So just looking for enough information to make a good decision without spoiling the ending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
atrox7 wrote:

I understand where you are coming from, but personally my family chooses to avoid the overtly supernatural/magical in all our entertainment choices: Movies, TV shows, books, or even boardgames.

I understand, then. But I could never do that. That would deprive me of so many of my favorite things. Movies like Star Wars and Princess Bride, literature ranging from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland to the Kingkiller Chronicles, and simple beautiful board games like Tsuro and Mystic Vale. I'm sure you have your reasons, but I do not envy you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, maybe I should clarify a bit. I enjoy both Star Wars and The Princess Bride. I mentioned 'overtly'.

For example I love Disney's 'Atlantis' which may have some minor fantastical elements, but on the other hand not enjoy 'Frozen' where the magical powers play a far more prominent and important role. My decisions are not like 'black and white' rigid. Rather just trying to gauge the overall themes and focus of the content. (I suppose that may be difficult with a Legacy game where so much is a necessarily hidden surprise .)

In short, I'll play Star Wars any day, but not Summoner Wars.

May seem a bit strange to some I suppose, but hope that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
jayahre wrote:
There is, of course, no way to answer this without spoilers.

If the game doesn't conform to my very specific expectations exactly, I am holding you personally responsible!

And Rob too I guess.

nobutseriously I really want a Nautilus.

atrox7 wrote:
Oh, maybe I should clarify a bit. I enjoy both Star Wars and The Princess Bride. I mentioned 'overtly'.

For example I love Disney's 'Atlantis' which may have some minor fantastical elements, but on the other hand not enjoy 'Frozen' where the magical powers play a far more prominent and important role. My decisions are not like 'black and white' rigid. Rather just trying to gauge the overall themes and focus of the content. (I suppose that may be difficult with a Legacy game where so much is a necessarily hidden surprise .)

In short, I'll play Star Wars any day, but not Summoner Wars.

May seem a bit strange to some I suppose, but hope that makes sense.

This is.... very strange, to say the least. I'm not entirely sure why you'd limit your experience by rejecting everything under such a broad umbrella. Is it a religious thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Natera
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose this thread is devolving into the motive behind the question, rather than the answer to the question. I'm just looking for information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nichols
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you aren't going to get an answer to the question here, as the only people with that answer are the people involved in making the game who aren't going to post spoilers here. (And I suppose the highly unlikely possibility of one of the lucky 150 gamers who bought a copy at GenCon and who has already ripped open all of the sealed components so they could come here and spoil it for everyone). I suppose in a month or so there might be some people willing to answer it for you, after they've completed the game, though.

Magic vs. Realism is definitely a continuum and not exactly a yes/no answer.

My guess is that there will be possibility of some mythical creatures as well as some subtly magical relics and mystical occurrences. Not really a spoiler, as it's in the first (prologue) game from the beginning, but to be safe:
We already have an advisor that looks Native American and is called "The Wind Master" which gives your ships +2 sail. You could explain this that he's just a good sailor, but it feels a bit like the old idea of Native American magic/mysticism from old stories.

If the answer to this completely dictates whether or not you will buy the game, I'd suggest you message Plaid Hat, JR, or Rob (and keep whatever they tell you to yourself). But, I'd make it clear what too much magic means to you. (I would frame the question as, "I would like to play this game, but I know someone in my group would quit if there's more than a small amount of magic in the game. Should I still buy it? I swear on my life I won't tell anyone what you tell me.")

Hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cuesta
Ecuador
Guayaquil
Select One...
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never rejected a game because of its theme but I understand the sentiment.

It happened to me while I was reading the Gentlemen Bastards series:

THe first book feature magic but in a small way, but as the books progresed magic took a more important role in the series. Now the fourth book is forthcoming and the protagonist is secretly a powerfull wizard rejuvanated or something like that.

i enjoyed the first books a lot more than the later ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain W.
Germany
flag msg tools
I assume it will get an unexpected twist in the story to be told.

That was the case with Risk and Pandemic too. So even as these were tied straight to reality by their base games there was a bit "mystic" in the legacy version. So now we have a complete new game ...

Captain Nemo (the archway) with the Holy Grail (Indian Jones) I would speculate :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly

Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a comparison from my experiences playtesting it. I use some thematic comparisons, so it may be a spoiler on some level.

There are fantastic elements to the story (from playtesting, so things may have changed in the final), but more like 20,000 leagues than D&D. You as a player do not have any "magical" powers, but there are some elements that are not possible in our world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
You definitely want to spoiler that, but it's nice to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joou wrote:
You definitely want to spoiler that, but it's nice to know.

Agreed -- though to be fair, the post doesn't really say anything more than can be inferred from "Indiana Jones in the Age of Sail"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckwagon
United States
Los Angeles CA or Las Vegas NV or Fairfield
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the best thing to do is give it six to eight weeks and wait to see what people have to say about it. by that point Tom vasel will have done a playthrough on Dice Tower you can get all the answers you want that way. you don't need to be the first one to have the game anyway lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
After 4 games so far, I have an idea of how much fantasy vs reality there is (so far), but can't really give away much without spoilers.

So far the only fantasy element has been a ghost ship rising from the sea to terrorize other ships. Other elements are hinted at based on new cards we have added to decks, but not played with yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.