Subject: Overwatch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I understand that overwatch firing occurs after both sides have completed direct fire, but in which order does it occur? Is it the initiative player shoots with his first overwatch unit and then the non-initiative player has the opportunity to overwatch fire at that unit before the second initiative player overwatch unit fires, etc (this seems kind of confusing).

Or is it all the initiative player overwatch units fire and then all the non-initiative player overwatch unit?

Am I also right in thinking that overwatch fire against a moving unit can occur on a hex by hex basis as it moves, not just against its final position?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Sola Ramos
Spain
Pilar de la Horadada
Alicante
flag msg tools
The Panzer Pusher gives you prestige!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overwatch during the direct fire combat step is as follows:

1-First player direct fires at legal targets. Spot/fire markers are placed and results take place.
2-Second player direct fires at legal targets. Spot/fire markers are placed and results take place.
3-First player overwatch fires at spotted targets (either already spotted or newly spotted in step 2). Spot/fire markers are placed and results take place.
4-Second player overwatch fires at spotted targes (either already spotted or newly spotted in steps 1 and 3). Spot/fire markers are placed and results take place.
5-First player overwatch fires at newly spotted targets in step 4.
6-Second player overwatch fires at newly spotted targets in step 5.
And so on until all overwatch fire is resolved.

During movement, overwatch fire is resolved on a hex by hex basis, as you refer, as units move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaos Rat
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More questions about overwatch.

I suppose one overwatch command give us only one shot option. Is it ok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gibson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would think so as you don't get multiple shots during normal fire but it doesn't say specifically. I think the overwatch rules need tightening up in areas such as this as your questions shows that its not necessarily exactly the same as normal AP fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It is clearly written in 4.4.2 (p. 13): "Overwatch Fire is resolved under the same rules and limitations as described for Direct Fire with the following additions [...]."

Because there is no rule in the "following additions" that says that a unit is allowed to fire more than once per turn, according to 4.4.1 (p. 13) the rule for the number of attacks with Overwatch Fire is like the one for Direct Fire: "Each vehicle only fires once per turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.