Subject: Stunned timing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all,

Played my first session and it went very smoothly all considered.

However, we had an issue come up on timing for the conditions and Stunned in particular; at what point is Stunned applied?

If an investigator takes an action and then gains the stunned condition, is it applied immediatly?
What if he had taken 2 actions and gained it?
Stunned says discard at end of turn, if he had taken 2 actions and gained the card, does that mean he is not effected by it? Or does it take effect next turn?

Its a bit confusing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy dimichina

vancouver
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I literally had this happen today. They way I look at it is it last UNTIL the end of your next turn. To me it doesn't make sense to get a condition mid turn to suddenly dismiss on same turn.

Hopefully I made myself clear and that's not confusing. Thematically to me this makes the most sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You discard conditions like Dazed or Stunned at the end of your turn (that is, after you take your two actions during the investigator turn).

Usually, conditions like Stunned are acquired during the Mythos phase. You discard them on the next investigator phase, just after you act.

If you somehow manage to acquire a condition during your turn during the Investigator phase, then you discard it on the same turn, once you have finished acting. In this case, you got lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
As a Magic The Gathering player, I always assume that "the next end step" in practice means "at the end of THIS turn". So, you do your two actions(or one, depending), and then you discard the effect at the end of your turn.
I have only played this game three times so far, but it seems like it won't be too OP if you play it this way. It also seems most natural

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, thanks for the respose, but I dont think it answers my question (or maybe I am not clear enough or not reading your response clearly).

Are you saying that as soon as you get the card, at whatever point in the turn this happens, the card is in effect?
So, if I get the card during my turn the card is then in play and is discarded at the end of that turn?

Example: I take 1 action, I receive the stunned condition and so lose my second action. I then end my turn and discard the card.

If I get the card as a direct result of my second action, I then just discard the card with no effect?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
CardboardAnt wrote:
Jason, thanks for the respose, but I dont think it answers my question (or maybe I am not clear enough or not reading your response clearly).

Are you saying that as soon as you get the card, at whatever point in the turn this happens, the card is in effect?
So, if I get the card during my turn the card is then in play and is discarded at the end of that turn?

Example: I take 1 action, I receive the stunned condition and so lose my second action. I then end my turn and discard the card.

If I get the card as a direct result of my second action, I then just discard the card with no effect?

Thanks

Yes, that's exactly what Jason stated. I'm with him on this reading: unless the card calls out for "next turn", then you resolve thee effects as stated. So, if you get stunned as result of an attack vs a monster, you immediately apply the effects; if this result in something not so traumatic, well, all the better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
CardboardAnt wrote:

Thanks

Yes, that's exactly what Jason stated. I'm with him on this reading: unless the card calls out for "next turn", then you resolve thee effects as stated. So, if you get stunned as result of an attack vs a monster, you immediately apply the effects; if this result in something not so traumatic, well, all the better

This is handled exactly this way on Eleich Horror as well. If you get delayed on your turn - you lose any remaining actions and then are immediately "undelayed". Whereas if you get delayed "off turn" (like during Mythos Phase) you are delayed until the end the turn that hasn't started yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anthony dybacz
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses.

It worked how I imagined it did but I wanted to make sure because first ed was very explict about what happens if you get stunned part way through a turn but there was no such statement in any of the second ed books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julia answered for me.

I can't say I know for sure, but I would bet that conditions like Stunned and Dazed are set up this way so that you don't have to "remember" to discard the condition next turn (which is mistake prone). The way it works now is simple: If you have the card at the end of your turn, you discard it. It's easy.

The side effect of this is if you acquire the condition during your investigator turn, you lose it pretty quickly. Usually this isn't a big problem because gaining these conditions on the investigator phase is relatively uncommon.

One important thing with this game is to not try to read things into the game that aren't there. It'll get you into trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.