Popular Tags: [View All]
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there

I was about to start playing with some friends today and I started a big doubt about the "Offshore accounts" bonus card. The problem was the possible interpretation between the portuguese rules and the spanish ones.

Basically, in the portuguese text it talks about a player giving the idea that I can play this mission with anyone on the table (myself or any of the others).
On the other hand, in spanish it talks about the player, i.e. I'm playing with myself to complete that mission.

Since they were all spanish and I was the only one playing for the first time, we played their way. But this doubt remained.

Furthermore, while I wrote this I got even a new possible interpretation from the english text, since at one point it comes up the word their. This got me thinking that maybe the person who has this mission will receive the money from every company that fulfills the dividends.

So at the this point I have no ideia which one is the correct way. Which one should it be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just going to write the different texts here.

Portuguese
Quote:
Se a Companhia de um jogador tiver pago Dividendos na última Fase, o jogador fica com todo o dinheiro da Companhia e adiciona-o ao seu próprio dinheiro

Spanish
Quote:
Si la compañia del jugador pagó dividendos en la ronda final, el jugador coge todo el dinero restante de su carpeta y la añade a su dinero personal

English
Quote:
If the player's Company paid dividends in the final Round, the player takes all of the remaining money from their Clipboard and adds it to his personal money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If I recall correctly that is the card that will allow the player to take the money from the company if the company paid dividends...if that's the correct card the player that has the card will only be able to take the money from HIS own company if the company paid the dividends in the last year.

The money from other players companies have nothing to do with this card... Even if you own shares in those companies, it's only your own company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The player who has that financial advisor card gains all the cash of his own company, provided that the company pay out dividends during the last round.

(In English, "their" is sometimes used instead of "his/her" as a gender neutral alternative.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:

If I recall correctly that is the card that will allow the player to take the money from the company if the company paid dividends...if that's the correct card the player that has the card will only be able to take the money from HIS own company if the company paid the dividends in the last year.

The money from other players companies have nothing to do with this card... Even if you own shares in those companies, it's only your own company

You just got ninja'd

I didn't wanted to make the post too long with the texts because I was talking about three different languages, but I was already thinking about writing them.
The thing is that in portuguese the text is dubious, because it doesn't talk about the player but about a player.

I guess we played correctly, but If I only read it in portuguese you bet I would got another interpretation of the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple wrote:
(In English, "their" is sometimes used instead of "his/her" as a gender neutral alternative.)

This I forgot completely. Thanks for the reminder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Santos
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mspider_89 wrote:
I guess we played correctly, but If I only read it in portuguese you bet I would got another interpretation of the card.

Yep, on my first play we got exactly that wrong.
We thought that card was too powerful and after re-reading the rules we figured out the problem.
The wording in portuguese itself it's not incorrect but might lead to dubious interpretation while the wording in english leaves no doubts (same as in spanish).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaulamos wrote:
The wording in portuguese itself it's not incorrect but might lead to dubious interpretation while the wording in english leaves no doubts (same as in spanish).

That was my point. What I wasn't sure was that to what extend (I have no ideia if this is well written xD) it was a kind-of dubious/misinterpreted portuguese or (I don't want to call it bad because it isn't) not-so-well translation to spanish on that sentence. The truth is that rules in spanish usually are a little more informal than in portuguese, and this just helped my confusion ehehe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.