Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Moor
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just noticed this evening, using my copy of the game for just the 2nd time, that my faction mats have slightly different coloured backs! It is quite clearly noticeable, and whilst I don't feel it is a major issue, it did alter the way I had planned to distribute factions to the players, as we can now more or less tell which faction is which by comparing the backs! I must admit I am surprised by this seeing as all the other components are of such a high quality and completely consistent. This issue does not occur with the player mats.

Has anyone else got faction mats with slightly different coloured backs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't looked closely enough to find a variation. If we do find one, then we would probably just start rolling a die to choose the mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opaque sleeves should fix it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Yeah, I think it's Mayday Gargantuan Euro sleeves. They're pretty rare though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
My faction and player mats have some minor irregularities as well, so I shuffled them without looking at them before dealing out the ones we needed. This secret technique works well with other games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my action boards has a couple of faint white scuffs on the back, but otherwise all the backs of my boards are identical. Just shuffle under the table handing out and it's fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's much easier to get players to pick a coloured cube from a bag/ hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moor
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinsilver wrote:
My faction and player mats have some minor irregularities as well, so I shuffled them without looking at them before dealing out the ones we needed. This secret technique works well with other games as well.

Yes that's pretty much exactly what we did, I just found it odd that there would be such a discrepancy with such a generally high quality product!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was afraid I would already start scuffing the double-sided cardboard, and one mat had a scuff mark on the back, so I used a very technologically advanced solution:

I threw in an A-2-3-4-5 from an incomplete deck of cards. Then when I need to pick player mats or factions, I draw one of those for each player and hand out mats accordingly. Of course I have to pick which faction is the Ace first.

So advanced!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should print the selection cards like they have on tabletop simulator
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian: Can you post a photo? The copies I've seen don't have any difference between them that I can see. It's the exact same art on the exact same sheet of paper that's cut into multiple pieces to form the mats. Printing irregularities do happen from time to time, but we take a number of measures to ensure color matching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just pulled out my components to play my first solo game of Scythe and noticed there were some scratches and scrapes on the back of the mats. I also noticed some slight color variations on the factions mats. I don't know if these photos accurately capture the slight variation in color or if my mats are similar to what others are noticing, but hope these help:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They do help, thank you! It does look like one of the red mats (far right) is a little darker than the others (though maybe it's the photo). Either way, it shouldn't impact gameplay. I shuffle the mats without looking at them and hand them out randomly. Maybe it could be an issue in tournament play, but a blind draw could be used in that situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Moor
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jamey, some photos as requested. These were taken in my dining room and under these lights makes the difference more noticeable as you can clearly see here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ian! It's very odd to see the differences, as the exact same digital file was used for all mat backs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps they used a different batch of ink for some of the mats ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jussi-Pekka Jokinen
Finland
Riihimäki
flag msg tools
At me!
badge
For the Marquise!
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Thanks Ian! It's very odd to see the differences, as the exact same digital file was used for all mat backs.

It's normal to see slight variations in everything that is physically printed. However, in a product as prestigious as Scythe, people expect nothing less than perfection.

Notifying Panda would probably still be a good idea, letting them know about the color issue would let them do even better next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I sent them an e-mail today to see if they could identify the issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Two more simple, and participatory, methods to randomize selection if discoloration is an issue...

1) Put the mats in a stack hidden from view and have each player randomly call out a number. Count down to that mat and give that mat to that player.

For instance: Stack all five mats hidden from view of the other players. Randomly choose a player to select first. Have that player call out a number between 1 and 5. Let's say he calls, "4". Count down to the 4th mat from the top and hand that mat to that player. Then have the next player call out a number between 1 and 4, and so on...

or,

2) Put the mats in a stack and have each player roll a die to select the mat they get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara S
United States
Palmer
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed color variations on the backs of my mats as well. So far no one else who I've played with has noticed (I think). As for myself, I try not to study the backs and just take my mats quickly so that I don't build any associations for which back goes to which mat.

In the event anyone figures it out, I'll just shuffle and deal them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My faction mats are. Slightly different colours too.

If it bothered me (and it doesn't) I'd just employ a method that we've used for about half our Scythe games anyway - randomly assign player mats, find who the start player is, then draft the faction mats anti-clockwise around the table, starting with last player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine are Different shades on the Back as well. Not a big issue, but I do wish there were (official) cards to Shuffle for faction and player boards instead of shuffling the actual boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've asked about such cards before. The boards are just too large to shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Then don't shuffle them. Simply stack them in any (random) order as you pull them out of the box. (If the other players happen to see you do this, then perhaps you may have to rearrange their stacked order out of their sight (see below)).

Then here's what you do:

Ask any random player, "Pick a number between 1 and 5".

Let's say they pick "4".

You count down to the 4th mat and hand it to the player.

Then you go to another player and say, "Pick a number between 1 and 4".

Let's s ay they pick "2".

So you count down to the 2nd mat and that to them.

And so on.

When it comes your turn to pick, you don't of course since you're the only one who knows the order of the mats. You have someone else pick for you.

This method works great every time. No public shuffling of the mats is required, so it can be done "gently" out of the other players view. PLUS, each player gets to choose their own result, so there's a little more "buy-in". Players in my group like it this way plus it goes faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.