Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: Marvel Deck Building Game - Civil War Expansion , so do you throw this in with the base game or does that screw up the story line of Civil War? I will be honest with all the expansions I am starting to get confused how to organize them and play with them so can some of you experts in the system explain the whole base and expansion system. I posted this same question in the Civil War forum but not as many people go there as here and I think more experts may hit this forum. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23376912#23376912
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
runnestrand wrote:
Everything mixes. Everything.

There are mechanics that are exclusive to each expansion, but that doesn't mean they don't mix. Guardians of the Galaxy and their villain groups use something called "shards" that none of the other games reference. Doesn't matter though. You can fight Thanos with Daredevil, Silk, Man-Thing and Black Widow just as easily as with the Guardians. As long as you don't mind a lot of different mechanics in one game, mix it ALL up.

The game isn't meant to tell a story straight out of the comics. If you want to tell a story, set the game up in such a way where that happens (Guardians vs. Thanos trying to forge the Infinity Gauntlet for example). Otherwise, this is like Marvel Smash Bros. Go nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you understand the basics of the base game. If not, please ask so that I'll be able to clarify.

Each Legendary expansion comes with:

1) new heroes
2) new masterminds
3) new villains and henchmen groups
4) new schemes
5) new keywords

These are more or less variations of what you have in the base set. Of course, each villain, each hero is unique, and all have wonderful mechanics, but they are not a different species from what you have in the base set.

Some expansions (all big box expansions and Villains) come with special bystanders, which give you some benefits when your rescue them (you rescue them the same you rescue regular bystanders).

Other expansions introduce new stacks - new recruits stack from villains, sidekicks from Civil War and Secret Wars volume 1.

Others introduce tokens (Guardians of the galaxy), which act as proxies for attack.

You can mix all of them together - add the number of villains, heroes, henchmen groups required by the number of players / scheme, keep in mind the sspecific rules for each keyword, and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cocktosen
United States
Weymouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of Legendary like a spiked punch. In order to make that crazy punch crazy you need a base, juice. To make that crazy punch really rockin' you need some different boozes to mix in.

Example...

Base game = the juice (need a base to make this punch work)

Dark City = the ice (warm punch? Hell no. We add ice, then more ice, then more ice. Hey, it's a long evening and you want that punch cold)

Secret Wars 1 and 2 = Tequila. If ever an expansion had a worm at the bottom it's the Secret Wars expansions. After a night of punch, ice, and tequila you'll be walking aimlessly, mumbling incoherently that you saw a dude dressed like Dr. Strange and Punisher. Luckily you have good friends who tell you that you weren't seeing things.

Captain America expansion = seltzer water. Your punch doesn't have to have a fizz, but you can if you want.

FF expansion = the rarest of whiskeys. You know those bottles of expensive booze behind the counter in a liquor store way up on a shelf? Right here.

And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Do whatever you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.