Boiko Boichev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
From what I've read on social media it appears Flying Frog's next game will be a standalone game with the SoB ruleset and fully compatible with SoB, called Forbidden Fortress.

It appears the main "dungeon" is going to be the interior of period appropriate building. Also "The Belly of the Beast" is going to be an expansion world.

The Frogs are planning to start a new Kickstarter around October, after they're done with Brimstone. For this game it seems there will be only the core set, an expansion and a couple of add-ons.

Here are some pictures, taken by twitter user @jonathanhliu:

And I pulled this from a closed Facebook group:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Stantz
Australia
Central Coast
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regressor wrote:
The Frogs are planning to start a new Kickstarter around October, after they're done with Brimstone.

Yeah, I think I'll wait for retail this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Briggs
United States
Farmington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now if you could remove the spoiler filter so we can click on them an see them full size. Right now if you click on them is gose back to the black spoilers box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to start saving...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will try the retail way this time. We will get the game so much earlier then...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boiko Boichev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
051276 wrote:
Now if you could remove the spoiler filter so we can click on them an see them full size. Right now if you click on them is gose back to the black spoilers box.

I put originally put them in because I thought that the post would be too image heavy, but it's maybe better without them.

Somebody could merge this thread with the other one about the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Beckikaze wrote:
I will try the retail way this time. We will get the game so much earlier then...

I expect this KS won't be quite as generous as the last one. Considering the huge savings the KS backers got on SoB compared to buying them retail, the extra waiting was a small price to pay. Even with Wave 1.5 I'm still way below what the contents cost now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Beck
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to play with the base boxes for a long time now. It is too much for me to see everybody playing the game we paid for. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wyatt
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the models look better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So let me get this straight -- production has begun on a new project prior to everyone getting their Outlaw items from the first project?
I call foul. I understand wanting to get some additional revenue streams going, and I supported them myself by buying items from Minecart at retail prices.
it just appears unfair to me, and I will not be joining in this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Njorl
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Currently at GenCon they are showing all the sculpts including the Ancient One, they are demoing the two remaining otherworlds. I believe that is it. They are showing concept art for Forbidden Fortress that includes concept art from the Belly of The Beast which is probably rollover from the unmet stretch goal. So the only thing that can be interpreted as production is the creation of concept art for the non Belly of Beast minis and tiles. It is a huge leap to call this "production has begun" on a new project.

You have to remember that like software there is a development lifecycle in most commercial areas and generally this lifecycle is designed to sustain the product, maintain customer satisfaction, and maintain viability of the income stream. I cannot imagine any reason that FFP would be operating on some other paradigm. At least in the United States this cannot be done. Possibly a Communist country, but I can't speak to that due to lack of exposure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Barista wrote:
So let me get this straight -- production has begun on a new project prior to everyone getting their Outlaw items from the first project?
I call foul. I understand wanting to get some additional revenue streams going, and I supported them myself by buying items from Minecart at retail prices.

FFP said in the last KS update that the artists were done on the SoB stuff so were starting work on the next project. If you have any understanding of board game production, there's a long delay between finishing the files and finished games.

As an example, my own company's Kickstarter submitted final files to the printer in Febuary, and is just now making it out to the various backers around the world. All that downtime you should be working on the next thing. That's just good business. Printing does take a significant amount of time. Plus a month or two shipping across the ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mister_Barista wrote:

My only thing is, SoB needed more time behind it to be the epic game it might have been. I don't mind so much that retail is getting content before the backers; we got a great deal. But the base games feel rushed to me, and while recent expansion content has fixed some of the glaring issues of the base game(s), the whole system is sort of forever cast in this beta state, when a few more months of playtesting would have done wonders I think.

So for me, it comes down to what the "standalone" distinction means. It must mean it's more than just another base game? Maybe it fixes some issues of the base games of SoB? If that's the case I may back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
Mister_Barista wrote:

FFP said in the last KS update that the artists were done on the SoB stuff so were starting work on the next project. If you have any understanding of board game production, there's a long delay between finishing the files and finished games.

As an example, my own company's Kickstarter submitted final files to the printer in Febuary, and is just now making it out to the various backers around the world. All that downtime you should be working on the next thing. That's just good business. Printing does take a significant amount of time. Plus a month or two shipping across the ocean.

which KS was your? I totally would have backed it...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
ScottE wrote:
Mister_Barista wrote:

which KS was your? I totally would have backed it...

-shnar

Don't want to derail the thread but it was this one- Pillars of Eternity: Lords of the Eastern Reach
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the question about whether Darkstone was a worldwide phenomenon is finally answered. Japan couldn't escape otherworldly influences.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever use of badges

Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Jørgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm interesting.
Feudal Japan setting doesn't really speak to me but the belly of the beast Other World was one I was hoping to see done.
Any news/rumors on the Hell Train?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Depew
United States
Edwardsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoB was my first kickstarter and even I expected it to be at least a year late. As it is I think the Basic pledge is still over $400 in internet prices value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Franck
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so Mine Cart on this one it almost hurts ! And ready to wait for this one just as much I waited for Brimstone.. What are a couple of years waiting compared to what we get in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fcuk no. Im not backing any ffp ks project again after what they are doing now. I will wait for retail. Maybe theb i will buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
Fcuk no. Im not backing any ffp ks project again after what they are doing now. I will wait for retail. Maybe theb i will buy it.

I'm not sure I understand this sentiment. The other "big" kickstarter companies have does the same thing: started other projects before their previous kickstarters have completed with second/third waves. Every CMON game has done this, the Myth/Merc games did this, etc. Why the hatred for FFP? Unless I guess you hate all boardgame companies on Kickstarter...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Breeden

Indiana
msg tools
mb
The models they had were 3D prints.... so no real production has taken place just concept models.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
skolo wrote:

I'm not sure I understand this sentiment. The other "big" kickstarter companies have does the same thing: started other projects before their previous kickstarters have completed with second/third waves. Every CMON game has done this, the Myth/Merc games did this, etc. Why the hatred for FFP? Unless I guess you hate all boardgame companies on Kickstarter...

-shnar

I'm not a backer of the original game though I have bought, and enjoyed, at retail but the distance between when the KS finished and things not being delivered is a lot worse on SoB than other projects that I'm aware of, including the ones that you mention (though Myth didn't ship a workable game at first which is why I sold mine). The fact that there are huge swathes of the game available at retail yet still not in backers hands after so long makes it pretty incomprehensible that they are going to KS again for the next game if they still haven't fulfilled KS shipping by then (though that doesn't appear to be case at this point and I do think they will have learned lessons from last time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll look at it when it comes out, but my past experience with eastern motif games has not been positive. I don't mind the wandering samurai though for SoB though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.