Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
How is 16th Army activated in Turn 1 of campaign?

Is the only way to get air to draw an HQ from the draw pile? So no air turn 1?

is supply checked for both sides start and end of each impulse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Labarque
Belgium
Kortrijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
How is 16th Army activated in Turn 1 of campaign?

Is the only way to get air to draw an HQ from the draw pile? So no air turn 1?

is supply checked for both sides start and end of each impulse?

1) One option is to call for reinforcements and hope to draw the 16th Army HQ. An other way is to move an other Strategic HQ in their area, remember that the color of the units doesn't matter if the HQ and units are in the same area. And Finally you can play a Strategic impulse and move any number of units equal to your Logistics Value.

2) Yes

3) The Active side checks for supply at start and end. Check out chapter 9: "At the beginning of any Impulse, the active
player checks all of his Units for Supply and
marks with a white cube those Units unable to trace a
LOC to a Supply Source.".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
why is air not available at start? Why is it a random draw?
I have 2 chances in 25 28 of drawing a HQ for air.
So really this is forcing you to take reinforcements impulse one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Santandrea
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I love it when a plan comes together!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's probably the main German concern for the first Impulse.

Historically the LF was just a bit behind the Dnieper, and had to cross it and prepare airfields before the Wehrmacht spareheads could count on the precious air support.

After seizing Smolensk, on July 16, only Guderian and Hoth were on the eastern bank and ready to push, even if short of fuel and facing serious afv brakedown issues.

They tried to close the pincer around Smolensk to trap the already beaten 16th, 19th and 20th Soviet Army, while the 4th and 9th Army were still enaged in reducing the Minsk pocket and avoiding flooding of escaping Soviet troops towards the Pripet marshes.

However, once again, there was a hole open in the east, as Guderian moved eat instead of North-east, and Hoth was forced to dispatch one of his Panzer Corps nortward to seize Velikie Luki.

While some of his Generals wanted to go staright forward, Hitler was afraid of leaving too many gaps between his Army Groups, and for this reason he committed the only reserve available - the Weich's second army - to fill the gap between AGC and AGS and wanted the 16th army to go on for Toropets (and that's the reason we wanted this army - formely under AGN control - in the game.

emanuele
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
So on the very 1st turn the Axis give up teh disc, take reinforcements.
Then it would be the Soviet turn. They can then move all their units reinforce weak areas and in essence escape the isolation noose.

Or the Axis forego the Reinforcements, and the 2 in 28 chance (sorry 28 not 25), and conduct or continue thier 'lighting blitz' WITHOUT air support.

Got it.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your tone sounds like you perceive a big flaw to the presentation.

The game setup is solidly based on the historical situation at the moment VNG chose for the game to begin.

Players do have choices-- and more than the historical leaders did-- of what they want to prioritize.

Most of the Barb campaign, historically, centers on the German quandary of, "Do I push with a little, or gather my forces (and give the Russians a chance to get stronger and dig in)?"

Is that a problem for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In relation to the question: Check out this game which covers the German problem at Smolensk and Minsk.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31954/victory-denied
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Manny's masterful history lesson and how that explains his design concept for the game.

I was mistakenly thinking in terms of the game starting on June 22...with ALL German resources available...not already in motion at this games start date of July!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
zerstorer88 wrote:
In relation to the question: Check out this game which covers the German problem at Smolensk and Minsk.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/31954/victory-denied

I've played that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
kduke wrote:
Your tone sounds like you perceive a big flaw to the presentation.

The game setup is solidly based on the historical situation at the moment VNG chose for the game to begin.

Players do have choices-- and more than the historical leaders did-- of what they want to prioritize.

Most of the Barb campaign, historically, centers on the German quandary of, "Do I push with a little, or gather my forces (and give the Russians a chance to get stronger and dig in)?"

Is that a problem for you?

Are you offering to fix what ever my perceived problem is? Or just commenting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was following up to confirm whether you had a perceived problem or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Colling
United States
VICTOR
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oxymorantis sees a conundrum....probable perceived problems possible whilst singing prosaic pulchriitudiness palavers of praise!

Butt then he likes to perform numistmatism and philetilically pleases hisself, IN PUBLIC! of all things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.