$35.00
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devil's Run: One Couple's Initial Review 8/5/2016

After having backed Devil's Run last year, I was very excited when the box showed up this past week. Despite the fact that not all of my order shipped together, my husband and I pulled out the game and put together the pieces on a rainy afternoon to try out the base game. We proceeded to play the first scenario and had a great time with it.

I played the Haul's Angels (2 bikes and a trike) and he played the Law Haulage Company. We were both out to snag the stash and ride off with it for our gang's glory and continued survival. If you've ever playedThunder Road, the rolling board mechanic is used pretty much the same way, though they aren't compatible if you do own a copy as the grid is not the same nor do they have puzzle piece ends. The art is awesome, post-apocalyptic and Mad Max-worthy. The sculpts are well-made, but do require a bit of clipping and super-gluing to get them game-ready. The rules for moving were very easy to understand and we enjoyed using the unusual D3s for movement. The rules for firing weapons and their firing arcs were well described, though a reference card for each player would be nice. We didn't actually do much ramming or sideswiping, but those rules worked pretty well for us, too. Much of whether you have a success or not is depending on whether or not you roll less than the number located on your card for your weapon, etc. Overall, it was not a difficult system to learn and didn't slow down gameplay at all. We're on to the next run...and looking forward to our next box of goodies that should arrive in the next month. We're also looking forward to trying our Demolition Derby expansion when more cars come in. Overall, a really enjoyable vehicle miniatures game.

Things we loved: Beautiful, post-apocalyptic art on the tiles, vehicle sculpts were topnotch on the style, card art, nice dice, Rolling board mechanic, Easy-to-get rules

Things we didn't love: Tokens (not easy to figure out what they were, I still have a bag of chips I hav no idea what they are used for in the game), cards that didn't have all of the text on them (errors), lack of player aids, model pieces that had to be cut first before gluing to make them fit, price per additional expansion to get enough content to really enjoy the game, shipping practices resulted in a lot of torn parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bronson

Easthampton
Massachusetts
msg tools
Thanks for posting. Could you clarify what the problems you had with shipping damage were?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.