United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a new product. It comes in three different decks, but it's the same game. The cards are non-collectible, but are customizable and can be used to create different decks.

It's still a single "set" or release. An admin told me that it was just like Dominion, but it's not at all like Dominion. Each release is a single SKU and adds new rules, etc. They are not released together. This game will receive 1-2 releases a year, and each release will have multiple SKUs which make up the set.

When I posted it a few months back, I did it as a single release, and someone requested that it be split into three different entries, ostensibly so that people could track their collections, and I suppose rate them differently, though they are (again) the same game and share some of the same cards between the products)

I have cross linked the three entries. I have created a product family so that they could all be talked about in one place (though users would have no way to know that)

When posting rules docs, etc. I have had to post them three times.
When posting images that are shared, I can cross link them between the entries, but I can't do that with files.

Now, someone has posted a video review of the product, but can only post it under one of the three entries, because the system won't allow the video to be posted more than once AND the system can't cross-link the video (much like it can't do so with files)

I get that games like this are tricky... it's been handled in different ways in the past.

I want players to be able to track their collections, but I feel that the overall experience (and usability by players) is actually lessened by splitting them up... and even though I'm ultimately willing to do the extra work long-term that comes up as a result of the split... the system is currently not built to properly support splitting them

I had hoped that BGG could be a central resource for players, as it's been for me as a player of other games... but my current players have been complaining about how confusing the game is on BGG currently.

Help! What can be done? What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game already has a family. That may be a useful place to put information.

The game yours most reminds me of, structurally, is Blue Moon and the rest of the Blue Moon Series (family).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't put files in the Family, and I can't put reviews/Videos in the Family, either.

Someone reviewed the game and wanted to post the video in all three of the pages, but sadly could not since it doesn't allow a video to be posted more than once (and we can't link the video)

J

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
The workaround to link a video to multiple entries is to make a blog and tag all of the game entries in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanos wrote:
I can't put files in the Family, and I can't put reviews/Videos in the Family, either.

Not directly, but you could:
* Edit More Information to link to...more information
* Make a GeekList about the family and enter each of the games into it, as well as linking files
* As mentioned, Blog about the family and the individual games

A video can be embedded in at least a GL and a Blog.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Robinette
United States
Westbury
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the info.

These solutions seem inelegant at best, and quite over-complicated, because of limitations with the system, right?

Is there a consensus that these limits a are a bad thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not so much limits as history. Initially, BGG was a hobby and many shortcuts were taken, such as dropping in Wiki code, which is wildly incompatible with forum code. Now, getting rid of the Wiki code would require a massive translation effort, and changing the forum code significantly is just infeasible--retrain a million users?

I don't think there's a user consensus on anything. The DevTeam consensus I don't know, but I suspect it's concentrated on finishing the game page revision then moving to other types of pages. Worrying about games with structural oddities--I don't tend to think that comes to anyone's mind much.

We managed to get through Blue Moon and Dominion and many other odd games, and usually users can find what they need. That's the priority. The travails of fans or even designers dealing with the system, not so important. (Sorry: trying to be realistic, not snark.) Of course, if you, as publisher, wanted to throw a boatload of money at BGG, that might change. Contact Chad first, I guess: he won't make the decision, but he may have the best sense of the amount of money that would need to be thrown. Six figures, at least, I would think.

But the More Info section (using wiki formatting) is where supplemental information as you want to present belongs, I think, and you can link to the family, the video (you cannot inline the video), a game faq, etc.

I'm not facile with wiki formatting, but you might be able to throw some GG at one of the better wiki formatters to give you a hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.