Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New neighbors moved in across the hall from me and my wife. They are so nice! We greeted them warmly, and recognized they didn't speak english so well. The three kids (around 8, 10 and 12) were better.

Two nights ago they brought over some homemade Korean food when they saw I liked to cook, and I'd like to return the favor with a game!

Initial thoughts:

I want a game that will play up to 5 from ages 8+.
It can't be too language dependent.

Game ideas:
1) Blokus
2) Qwirkle
3) Forbidden desert???

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trivial pursuit: korea.

seriously, a co-op might be good. I'd suggest ghost stories due to the theme, but it is very hard.

that being said, I have found out the more I try to cater to other cultures, the more they want to do "what you normally do" when not catering to anyone. They can brush up on skills they are working on. So, perhaps, they want to play something with English reading involvement? 'best to ask them what kind of games they play when you make the invite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
badge
mb
elmsley4 wrote:
New neighbors moved in across the hall from me and my wife. They are so nice! We greeted them warmly, and recognized they didn't speak english so well. The three kids (around 8, 10 and 12) were better.

Two nights ago they brought over some homemade Korean food when they saw I liked to cook, and I'd like to return the favor with a game!

Initial thoughts:

I want a game that will play up to 5 from ages 8+.
It can't be too language dependent.

Game ideas:
1) Blokus
2) Qwirkle
3) Forbidden desert???

Any other ideas?

Hmm. the age cap at 12 makes it a little tough.
But I do have similar experiences from playing with a mixed Korean + American group.

1) Speed Cups and other (well-made) dexterity games

They work like a charm, never a miss with non-board gamers. Hit and a hit for sure.

The complexity at play for Speed Cups makes it an intriguing game both for adults and children. (besides, children usually do play better)

2) Splendor

Splendor.

3) Hanabi

Just clarify some of the terms (+ pronunciation) and this'll be fine with most Koreans.

4) Spot it

Also a hit and a hit for all Koreans I've played with.

5) Tumblin' Dice

With another set of dice, playable with 5. And this really clicks with the Koreans due to their love of 알까기.

6) Las Vegas

Granted, the game gets stale after its first run; still a standard for a gateway.

7) Ticket To Ride

Speaking of gateways...
But this sometimes gets too dry and loose.

8) Coconuts

A Korean game for Korean gamers

9) Fits

As long as the rule explanations go smooth, FITS is also a solid gateway game.

10) Witch's Brew

One of my favorite gateway tech games. Witch's Brew -> Broom Service -> Marco Polo for girls who've never played board games just seem to work.

All of these games also have PDF Korean Rulebooks, either officially done or fan-made. I can help you with them if you're set on a game (or games )

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Other Koreans have mentioned on our board game community (regarding your post) the following games:

Lobo 77, Coda, Chicken Cha Cha, Rummikub, Looping Louie, Cockroach Poker

They're all easy games that can be learnt quickly.

I'd also like to add bohnanza and no thanks! to the list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cockroach Poker is a hoot! Perfect for the ages. Kids like to lie. Now, they can do it and not get in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid: China/Korea along with Power Grid: China/Korea. I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but I believe you should be able to get both the game and the expansion for under $40 total.

You might want to print out a translated version of the rules for them as well:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/39852/worldgrid-korean-tr...

or perhaps:

7 Wonders along with a copy of the translated rules:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/58760/7-wonders-korean-ru...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardline: animals. If they don't know the English name they can look at the picture. A good way to improve English and it's also something the kids can join in with equal ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise McCully
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
Power Grid: China/Korea along with Power Grid: China/Korea. I'm not sure how much you want to spend, but I believe you should be able to get both the game and the expansion for under $40 total.

or perhaps:

I wouldn't recommend either of these games for ESL speakers who are also likely to be first time Strategy board game players. They can be quite daunting.

Something with simple rules but gets people talking is good. The more practise a ESL speaker gets the faster they improve.

It's been a while but I did two years teaching English in Thailand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rhianna_ wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

or perhaps:

I wouldn't recommend either of these games for ESL speakers who are also likely to be first time Strategy board game players. They can be quite daunting.

Something with simple rules but gets people talking is good. The more practise a ESL speaker gets the faster they improve.

Yeah, I was super close to suggesting Power Grid.
You need at least 4 years more from the kids for that though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rhianna_ wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

or perhaps:

That is why you provide Korean rules as well. A lot of the Koreans can usually read printed text better than they can speak.

I don't recall teaching English was a point that was made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryansl wrote:
rhianna_ wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

or perhaps:

8 year old Korean kids are usually good enough math wise to be able to process Power Grid. Don't underestimate kids, especially Korean ones.

Another game you could go with is Sushi Go Party!. While Sushi is Japanese, a lot of Koreans usually enjoy. You can make mention that you realize Sushi is Japanese and that they didn't have a Kim-bop version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Seol
South Korea
flag msg tools
badge
mb
bbblasterfire wrote:
ryansl wrote:
rhianna_ wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

or perhaps:

8 year old Korean kids are usually good enough math wise to be able to process Power Grid. Don't underestimate kids, especially Korean ones.

Another game you could go with is Sushi Go Party!. While Sushi is Japanese, a lot of Koreans usually enjoy. You can make mention that you realize Sushi is Japanese and that they didn't have a Kim-bop version.

Not a matter of math, but rather a matter of rule-reading.
Non-boardgaming Koreans have a SUPER hard time reading rulebooks.
Trust me, I've played with 1000+ people just this year, and reading rulebooks is not something people do around here. Especially because board game gatherings are better organized than it is elsewhere in the world.

Power Grid is certainly playable for younger children, just that the rule learning would not be as accessible as one might think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Apples to Apples Jr. Games are excellent ways to encourage kids to learn English, math, and social skills. fwiw, We had some older kids who didn't speak English play HeroQuest and they *really* liked it, even though working together was a bit beyond them! Roleplaying games and CCGs also encourage children to read English, although the eight-year old is on the young side.

You own Say Anything. Perhaps you can help them and their parents with this game, or even play the drawing variant, where everyone draws their answer, rather than writes one down. Also, they can write their answers in Korean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol.. I don't think I've ever talked to any of my neighbors, ever *huddles alone in a corner*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.