18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Can anyone recommend to me a game that fits my criteria? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anonymous Anonymous
msg tools
Hello everyone,
I have been playing Magic for quite a while and decided to switch to something else. Anyways, I am looking for a LCG/ECG or CCG/TCG that requires deep decision-making and is quite skill-intensive. I am not new to the card game genre and am a pretty good Magic player so shallow or simple card games wont really satisfy me. I am looking to play at the LGS level and live in NYC area so finding players isnt going to be much of a problem for me. Thank you for your help,
emanresu2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emanresu2 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I have been playing Magic for quite a while and decided to switch to something else. Anyways, I am looking for a LCG/ECG or CCG/TCG that requires deep decision-making and is quite skill-intensive. I am not new to the card game genre and am a pretty good Magic player so shallow or simple card games wont really satisfy me. I am looking to play at the LGS level and live in NYC area so finding players isnt going to be much of a problem for me. Thank you for your help,
emanresu2

If you want a deck builder (where constructing our deck occurs during the game) I'd suggest Ascension: Deckbuilding Game. It was designed by a bunch of former pro Magic players.

If you want a game where you construct decks before the game, they are rebooting Legend of the Five Rings (one of my all-time favorite Magic style pre-built deck games) in an LCG model: Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game.

I've also heard good things about the also recently rebooted A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition), another LCG.

hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is Millennium Bladeswhich emulates ccg's meta game. It has a deck building phase were you are buying and selling cards to a market and a tournament phase where you are playing the deck you made. It is timed to so you have to build a good deck fast. It has all the trying to build combos aspect of magic with the stress of a timed deckbuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Android: Netrunner. Seems to have a fairly active tournament scene.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
These get the best reviews on here:

Android: Netrunner
Mage Wars Arena
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game
Summoner Wars: Master Set
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner is 1000% what you are looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was going to suggest Netrunner, but now that someone has mentioned Mage Wars, I'd have to say that if you're looking for a bigger, heavier Magic, Mage Wars seems to be the ticket. Granted, it's not just a card game, but it seems to fill a similar niche - only with more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
I was going to suggest Netrunner, but now that someone has mentioned Mage Wars, I'd have to say that if you're looking for a bigger, heavier Magic, Mage Wars seems to be the ticket. Granted, it's not just a card game, but it seems to fill a similar niche - only with more.

I think that you should watch some video footage of whatever game you see recommended that you think you may want to try. Mage Wars Arena is a very slow game and I suspect will not appeal to him. While he wants something with a lot to think about, I suspect the game pace of Mage Wars is not something he is prepared for.

I recommend he check out either or both: Epic Card Game or Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn. Both of these games will offer better pacing if coming from MtG and are expandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Anonymous
msg tools
Honestly, I don't care about how long the game takes to play or anything. As long as it fits my criteria well, it is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you're interested in card games that aren't collectible or customizable, you might want to consider some of these:

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization
7 Wonders Duel
7 Wonders
Dominion
Dominion: Intrigue
Race for the Galaxy
Nations
Imperial Settlers
Seasons
BattleCON: Devastation of Indines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner
Star Wars: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Android Netrunner recommendation. Some people tout it as the Magic-killer. It isn't and probably never will be (and I say this as a pro-AN guy), but it is the go-to when considering alternatives to Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anonymous Anonymous
msg tools
OK, I've got it narrowed down to 3 games: Android: Netrunner, Warhammer 40,000: Conquest, and A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition). I was considering Mage Wars but decided against it because of how slowly the expansions come out. So which one of these 3 games do you all think matches my criteria the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Millennium Blades

Pixel Tactics Deluxe

Epic Card Game

Android: Netrunner feels nothing like Magic. Its asymmetrical gameplay just feels weird... it would be like if 2 magic decks... 1 blue and 1 red.

The red's job is to kill the blue player as normal... the blue player's job is not to kill the red player, but just to stay alive for 20 turns, then declare himself the winner because he didn't die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both Android: Netrunner and A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) are heavily skill-based. There is the luck of the draw, naturally, but I have been to quite a few tournaments for both games, and it is no coincidence, that the same crowd usually ends up in the top spots.

Both games are fairly big, also. I don't think Conquest can keep up there.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to have a look at Blue Moon Legends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emanresu2 wrote:
OK, I've got it narrowed down to 3 games: Android: Netrunner, Warhammer 40,000: Conquest, and A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition). I was considering Mage Wars but decided against it because of how slowly the expansions come out. So which one of these 3 games do you all think matches my criteria the best.
I think Warhammer 40,000: Conquest requires the most skill of these three, but the tournament scene is pretty dead; it's also quite likely that FFG's license will expire...

Netrunner is great, but imho sucks as a tournament game, since a(n) (un)lucky draw can cause you to lose the game in turn one, and there's absolteuly nothing you can do against it. I love it as a casual game, though.

That leaves A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) as your best choice. Player skill is quite important in this game, and FFG has 'just' restarted the game, so it should have a bright future! AGoT 1e had the bigest tournament scene of any of the LCGs around here, so I'd expect that AGoT 2e will eventually be just as big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ulrich
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
emanresu2 wrote:

I think all of the 3 match your criteria equally, but the playstyles and themes are substantial different. So it's a matter of personal taste imho.

My advice: Find someone who is willing to play some rounds with you. Then you can decide which one you like more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.