27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Cosmic Pioneers» Forums » Rules

Subject: FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Clancey
msg tools
Hello! I'm Jake, designer of Cosmic Pioneers, and I'd like to thank everyone who has supported the game so far! I hope that you are enjoying it.

I'm going to post answers to some frequently asked questions about the rules. If you have any further questions feel free to reach out to me here, or on Boardgamegeek, and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Q: When do I flip over an alien card?
A: Alien cards are flipped over at the beginning of every round, before the first player takes their turn, as well as whenever any player rolls a 1 in the adventure phase.

Q: Can I bombard or load/unload cargo after crashlanding?
A: No, when you crashland you do get to roll for an adventure but must skip the deployment and bombardment phases of your turn.

Q: Do I have to move my maximum movement points on my turn? Do I have to move clockwise?
A: Nope, you can move up to your maximum movements (ie: if you have 3 movement you may move 1, 2, or 3 sectors on your turn). You may move either clockwise or counterclockwise, it is up to you.

I hope these answers help some people! Next I will post detailed rules on the specifics of each aliens' action. I am also working on a video tutorial to teach new people the game. Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thiel
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought the game at Gen Con, and I'm hoping to clarify a couple of things.

1) The Battle Royale scenario refers to the Waystation. This is the Jumpgate tile, correct? The rulebook's introductory text makes a passing reference to a Waystation orbiting the exit point, but no Waystation is depicted.

2) Goods are not used unless the scenario calls for them, correct? The rulebook refers to a "similar planet to their location of origin (same color)," but it looks as if this would only apply to the Mineral Trade scenario.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Clancey
msg tools
1) The Jumpgate tile was previously named the Waystation. The two terms are interchangeable. Thanks for catching that!

2) Correct! Goods are used in the Mineral Trade and Trade Post scenarios. They will also be used in future scenarios.

I also find the Trade Post scenario works best when the trade good tokens are used to mark VP gained via delivery rather than colonists, and when the Trade Post is locked at the opposite end of the system from the Waystation (with the planets in between being placed as normal)

Thanks for supporting the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nomikos
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The planets have spots for colonists (green spots) and aliens (blue spots).
Can colonists occupy blue spots? and can aliens occupy green spots? or the color of the spots restricts how many aliens and colonists you can have in a planet?

Thanks,
Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thrylos wrote:
The planets have spots for colonists (green spots) and aliens (blue spots).
Can colonists occupy blue spots? and can aliens occupy green spots? or the color of the spots restricts how many aliens and colonists you can have in a planet?

Thanks,
Paul

The color on the spots is there to just show how many colonists you need to control the planet. You can place any lifeform on any of these spots (following the relevant rules of placement/movement)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiebke Timm
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure how asteroid belts are created.

The rules state that you turn planets that are destroyed. That would lead to an asteroid hex, right? I cannot find anything in the rules that would lead to a planet being destroyed though.

When players place down planets during setup, can they place an asteroid instead? The rule says that after that setup step, there are eleven planets though.

So taken all together there is no way an asteroid hex can exist. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Veronie wrote:
I am not sure how asteroid belts are created.

The rules state that you turn planets that are destroyed. That would lead to an asteroid hex, right? I cannot find anything in the rules that would lead to a planet being destroyed though.

When players place down planets during setup, can they place an asteroid instead? The rule says that after that setup step, there are eleven planets though.

So taken all together there is no way an asteroid hex can exist. What am I missing?

Asteroid Belts were part of extra scenarios and abilities that were to be unlocked as stretch goals. Unfortunately we didn't make it that far, BUT we are preparing an update for the game that will include this material in "Download and Print" format, so that you can extend the game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiebke Timm
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know about the asteroids. So we played our first game today. Got the pirates mission, and got bug and slime. In the end we had 5 bugs, 4 slimes and two lizards). There were a lot of rule questions not covered in the rules (v1.1)

- Can you stay on the sector during movement phase? (We decided yes because "up to engines value" does not exclude zero)
- When there are not enough alien meeples to do the alien ability on all planets, who decides where the remaining aliens are placed? We felt that since it is very hard to control any planets at all, it can easily mean the difference between win or loose where they are placed. I think there are not enough meeples because slimes double every round and we quickly ran out of them (there are 15 over all), and there are 7 bugs for 5 bug sectors. It is a bit boring, when half of the game nothing happens when an alien card is drawn.
- There is a credit icon on the commander sheet at lvl 3 weapons that is not mentioned anywhere in the rules. It is not on the commander mat in the picture in the rules. (We decided to ignore it)

Balancing issues: (maybe a bit off topic in FAQs? Feel free to move if so)
- We were not entirely happy about how the space pirates mission plays out. First of all, if everyone gets a free weapons upgrade, then the differences between players' weapons are pretty small. I'd rather forbid weapon upgrades at the begin of this mission. Then, it is quite unfortunate that you dont start out with any money because then nobody has a motivation to attack the others for about the first third of the game because nobody has any credits. (We thiught that it would be much better to start out with credits and colonists so the first two turns would not be wasted with going back to the jumpgate to get starting resources.)
- getting attribute upgrades seemed very hard in just 12 turns because credits are incredibly rare. Maybe it was bad luck because of the sectors we got? We also rolled a lot of 1 (alien spawn) during adventures, but this can happen and should be accounted for.

Other improvement ideas:
- The fields on the sector hexes for aliens and colonists are too small to fit the cubes.
- It would be good if your commander had any indication of what color that player is.

Overall (after the first game impression) we think that the game has some potential but it should have been playtested / balanced more thouroughly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Peterson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My wife, daughter and I just played this for the first time since I picked it up at Gencon. We really liked it, which is good news. But holy cow are the rules, how shall we say, spartan? Even something as simple as clarifying whether every player goes through all of the phases themselves or do they take turns and do every phase as a group isn't easy to find. Actually, I'm not even sure we did...we just took turns within each phase. Was that correct?

I'm glad it was clarified here but we just played the game tonight with the rule that the colonists could only stay in the green boxes. I at least knew the creatures could invade the colonist boxes but we never knew the colonists could go beyond theirs.

If you're going to make a very cool game like this don't undercut it with rules that don't give nearly enough info!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Veronie wrote:
- Can you stay on the sector during movement phase? (We decided yes because "up to engines value" does not exclude zero)

On page 4 in the new rulebook it says: "you may choose to not move at all during your turn".

Veronie wrote:
- When there are not enough alien meeples to do the alien ability on all planets, who decides where the remaining aliens are placed? We felt that since it is very hard to control any planets at all, it can easily mean the difference between win or loose where they are placed. I think there are not enough meeples because slimes double every round and we quickly ran out of them (there are 15 over all), and there are 7 bugs for 5 bug sectors. It is a bit boring, when half of the game nothing happens when an alien card is drawn.

In page 3 in the new rulebook, it says in the description of the alien cards, that if there are no more meeples, then you do nothing. Also in page 6, it says that the Alien phase is executed by the First Player, so that player decides where the meeples are placed. If the Alien card is resolved because of a roll of 1 in an adventure, then the player that made the roll (and as such is resolving the Alien Card) decides where the aliens are placed.

Veronie wrote:
- There is a credit icon on the commander sheet at lvl 3 weapons that is not mentioned anywhere in the rules. It is not on the commander mat in the picture in the rules. (We decided to ignore it)

You did well, unfortunately that was an advanced type of play which during play test it was proven that made the game too hard-core. It meant that when you actually win a battle, you can steal up to 300 credits from your opponent (provided that s/he has that much). If you are up to it you can house-rule it, but it didn't play well with younger audiences.

Veronie wrote:
Other improvement ideas:
- The fields on the sector hexes for aliens and colonists are too small to fit the cubes.
- It would be good if your commander had any indication of what color that player is.

These are good comments. We are preparing for another print-run of the game. We will consider them.

King_Stannis wrote:
Actually, I'm not even sure we did...we just took turns within each phase. Was that correct?

Yes that was correct.

King_Stannis wrote:
I'm glad it was clarified here but we just played the game tonight with the rule that the colonists could only stay in the green boxes. I at least knew the creatures could invade the colonist boxes but we never knew the colonists could go beyond theirs.

Hi King, please download and check the new version of the rulebook. There are more detailed explanations on how the aliens move and when a planet is "controlled".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Peterson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
constantinekevorque wrote:
[q="Veronie"]

Hi King, please download and check the new version of the rulebook. There are more detailed explanations on how the aliens move and when a planet is "controlled".

Thank you, I will do that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiebke Timm
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

On page 4 in the new rulebook it says: "you may choose to not move at all during your turn".

Thanks, we overlooked that.

In page 3 in the new rulebook, it says in the description of the alien cards, that if there are no more meeples, then you do nothing.

But what happens if there are still a few meeples but not enough to fulfill all the planets? Do you still place some but not others?

Also in page 6, it says that the Alien phase is executed by the First Player, so that player decides where the meeples are placed. If the Alien card is resolved because of a roll of 1 in an adventure, then the player that made the roll (and as such is resolving the Alien Card) decides where the aliens are placed.

Ok, thanks. It could be stated a bit clearer that executing means to decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Crisssman

Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to do the phases 2 through 5 in order on your turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Peterson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
cyberphin wrote:
Do you have to do the phases 2 through 5 in order on your turn?

We wondered this ourselves, but when I asked above he confirmed that you go through each phase as a group and then move on to the next one. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was unsure about this.

Jake and everyone at Vesuvius, you need not only that updated rulebook but a formal FAQ alongside it with all of these questions and answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We have an FAQ in our portal:

http://hive.vesuviusmedia.com

You can also download translated versions of the rulebook from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Could you please post a direct link to this new rulebook? The PDF I found on your website seems identical to the printed rulebook that came with the game.

About controlling planets, it says: "When all green spaces are taken by Colonists, the planet is considered controlled." What if there is an alien in a green space? What if there is a vacant green space (left by an eliminated alien) but blue spaces are occupied by colonists? Is the planet controlled or not in those cases? Do colonists automatically move to the left to fill in vacant spaces? Can colonists be placed to the right of an alien (if all spaces to its left are occupied)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We have updated the PDf on our website, but you can also find the new rule book here in BGG:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/132119/cosmic-pioneer-rul...

In the new rulebook the description for controlling a planet is the following:

"When there are at least as many Colonists on the planet as green spaces, the planet is considered to be controlled. Colonists do not need to be on the green spaces for this to happen. The player with the most colonists controls the planet. If two or more players are tied then noone controls this planet."

This description should answer all your questions about controlling planets.

As far as placing colonists, you always place them on the first left most free space. Wherever that may be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Peterson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
We have updated the PDf on our website, but you can also find the new rule book here in BGG:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/132119/cosmic-pioneer-rul...

In the new rulebook the description for controlling a planet is the following:

"When there are at least as many Colonists on the planet as green spaces, the planet is considered to be controlled. Colonists do not need to be on the green spaces for this to happen. The player with the most colonists controls the planet. If two or more players are tied then noone controls this planet."

This description should answer all your questions about controlling planets.

As far as placing colonists, you always place them on the first left most free space. Wherever that may be.

Okay, I think I see now. Part of the problem comes at least to me in the word “control”, as it seems to be used both to describe the hurdle you have to get over to initiate control and then the comparison of your colonists to other players’ colonists to actually have control.

Answering this will cement it for me. There is a planet with 4 green boxes and one player has 2 colonists and the other has 1. Even though the player with 2 colonists has more than the other player nobody has control because there aren’t 4 total colonists on the planet, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yes you are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cheng
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When resolving the Worm ability, do I kill the rightmost lifeforms even if they are on the right side of the worm, or do I kill the right most lifeforms on the Worm's left side? What happens if the Worm is in the mid of the two lifeforms?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The worm kills (and all other aliens) always kill on the left side of them, not on the right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The worm kills (and all other aliens) always kill on the left side of them, not on the right.

What or where in the rules tells us to do that? The rulebook is neither long nor complicated, but even after 2 or 3 read thrus, I couldn't find that. I assumed it, but couldn't find it.

Is the above what makes Frasier so powerful? He drops colonists to the right of a worm or reptile, and those colonists are now safe?

Also, is there a typo on the Worm card, as it says something like "then move on to the left" We took it as a typo, with a missing "e" that turns "on" into "one" and thus giving us something that feels right: "then move one to the left".

On Deploy, can I move things up and then down in one turn? If I could do this repeatedly, the Leader who can carry colonists as if they were their own could lift up another player's , drop their own to the left, then place the other player's colonists back on the right side of the newly dropped colonists.

Why does one of the Bug worlds, with 3 spaces on it, have an adventure of -5 Colonists? There can't be 5 colonists on that world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirJohnThompson wrote:
Hello! I'm Jake, designer of Cosmic Pioneers, and I'd like to thank everyone who has supported the game so far! I hope that you are enjoying it.

A: No, when you crashland you do get to roll for an adventure but must skip the deployment and bombardment phases of your turn.

That seems to contradict the rules that I read tonight. Adventure Phase says "Ships that are in orbit roll for an adventure". Surely if you've crashlanded you are NOT in orbit?

I would suggest you edit the rules to explicitly state that you cannot Deploy nor Bombard after Crashlanding. While not being able to bombard seems obvious (as you're not in orbit to do so) not being able to deploy back onto the crashed ship is a little less obvious (I could imagine rationalizing this by thinking the survivors load themselves back into the semi-wrecked starship, in preparation for departure once it stands back up (aka repairs itself)).

Question:
- Preamble: If you have crashlanded, your ship's cargo hold is empty. Since , as stated above, you can not deploy this turn, then at the start of your next turn your Cargo hold will still be empty.
- Actual question: If you wish to load the "spilled" cargo back on board, you will have to:
- - wait until your next turn
- - not move
- - survive the adventure
- - and only then, during Deploy, reload your (surviving) cargo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Veronie wrote:

Other improvement ideas:

Overall (after the first game impression) we think that the game has some potential but it should have been playtested / balanced more thouroughly.

The alien meeples are rectangular, and the squares are, well squares. If you orientate the meeples so that the longest edge of the base is "vertical", then you can slot them in alongside each other.

If the commanders were specific colours, then you couldn't use your favourite colour with your favourite commander. Question, are the 15 colonist cubes a counter limit, or can you use more if need be? (assuming I could get extra). If so, I could leave a cube or two on my commander's artwork.

Suggestion: In future printings, consider printing an additional 4 commanders on the other side, for a total of 8 possible leaders.

Not sure about the playtesting, but a more general comment based on the "sparse" rules with gaps about what/how to do things: It seems you had to rush hard to get the game ready for production. So I agree completely about the potential of the game is there, but some clean-up is needed. That all said, I obviously need to download your updated rulebook.

Oh, another suggestion:
Could you replace the back cover of the rulebook with a reference page?

List of Phases:
Phase 1: Alien
Phase 2: Movement
Phase 3: ...
etc.

And another list for Jumpgate:
- drop cargo
- get money
- buy upgrades
- fill your boots! boat with colonists

I know, I know, the ruleset is short. Yet in our first two games we were constantly reading thru the pages on Phases 1 thru 5, to guide us and ensure "what the next step was".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine Kevorque
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:

What or where in the rules tells us to do that? The rulebook is neither long nor complicated, but even after 2 or 3 read thrus, I couldn't find that. I assumed it, but couldn't find it.

You are right, we will update the rulebook for this.

GerryRailBaron wrote:
Is the above what makes Frasier so powerful? He drops colonists to the right of a worm or reptile, and those colonists are now safe?

Yes.

Quote:
Also, is there a typo on the Worm card, as it says something like "then move on to the left" We took it as a typo, with a missing "e" that turns "on" into "one" and thus giving us something that feels right: "then move one to the left".

You are correct there is a typoe on teh card's text.

GerryRailBaron wrote:
On Deploy, can I move things up and then down in one turn? If I could do this repeatedly, the Leader who can carry colonists as if they were their own could lift up another player's , drop their own to the left, then place the other player's colonists back on the right side of the newly dropped colonists.

Yes, you can definitely do this, but really, why would you? Since you can pick them up, and then take them to the Jumpgate and get rid of them, why would you put them back on the planet and give the player extra Victory Points

GerryRailBaron wrote:
Why does one of the Bug worlds, with 3 spaces on it, have an adventure of -5 Colonists? There can't be 5 colonists on that world.

Check p.7 on teh rulebook. -X on Colonists starts from the planet but then moves to your Cargo. So, if there are not enough colonists to kill on the planet, you start killing the ones you carry with you.

GerryRailBaron wrote:
SirJohnThompson wrote:

That seems to contradict the rules that I read tonight. Adventure Phase says "Ships that are in orbit roll for an adventure". Surely if you've crashlanded you are NOT in orbit?

We will adjust the wording on the "Adventure" phase to make it clear. But either way, when you are crash-landed, then you skip the "Deployment" and "Bombard" phases, not the "Adventure".

GerryRailBaron wrote:
I would suggest you edit the rules to explicitly state that you cannot Deploy nor Bombard after Crashlanding. While not being able to bombard seems obvious (as you're not in orbit to do so) not being able to deploy back onto the crashed ship is a little less obvious (I could imagine rationalizing this by thinking the survivors load themselves back into the semi-wrecked starship, in preparation for departure once it stands back up (aka repairs itself)).

We will do that.

GerryRailBaron wrote:
Question:
- Preamble: If you have crashlanded, your ship's cargo hold is empty. Since , as stated above, you can not deploy this turn, then at the start of your next turn your Cargo hold will still be empty.
- Actual question: If you wish to load the "spilled" cargo back on board, you will have to:
- - wait until your next turn
- - not move
- - survive the adventure
- - and only then, during Deploy, reload your (surviving) cargo?

You are correct.

GerryRailBaron wrote:
Veronie wrote:

Other improvement ideas:

The alien meeples are rectangular, and the squares are, well squares. If you orientate the meeples so that the longest edge of the base is "vertical", then you can slot them in alongside each other.

If the commanders were specific colours, then you couldn't use your favourite colour with your favourite commander. Question, are the 15 colonist cubes a counter limit, or can you use more if need be? (assuming I could get extra). If so, I could leave a cube or two on my commander's artwork.

Yes the 15 colonists cubes are a limit to the number of colonists you can have in play, and to the maximum VP you can get from them.

GerryRailBaron wrote:
Suggestion: In future printings, consider printing an additional 4 commanders on the other side, for a total of 8 possible leaders.

Not sure about the playtesting, but a more general comment based on the "sparse" rules with gaps about what/how to do things: It seems you had to rush hard to get the game ready for production. So I agree completely about the potential of the game is there, but some clean-up is needed. That all said, I obviously need to download your updated rulebook.

Oh, another suggestion:
Could you replace the back cover of the rulebook with a reference page?

List of Phases:
Phase 1: Alien
Phase 2: Movement
Phase 3: ...
etc.

And another list for Jumpgate:
- drop cargo
- get money
- buy upgrades
- fill your boots! boat with colonists

I know, I know, the ruleset is short. Yet in our first two games we were constantly reading thru the pages on Phases 1 thru 5, to guide us and ensure "what the next step was".

We are planning on creating a "Legend" card that will have this information on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.