Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In middle war, can you play a special card after drawing the first darkness spreads card (and applying its effects) but before drawing the second? I know you can't draw a card and then play a special (except a "prevents" card) if you don't like its effect. However, I feel like you should be able to play a special between draws, as they are independent actions.

For us, Gorgutt had only moved twice so far. The first card caused him to move once more, so he was one space away from Monarch City. I wanted to play the special card we'd been saving which defeats minions in 3 locations and also knocks a general back one space, but my wife went ahead and drew the second card, which of course moved Gorgutt into Monarch city, losing the game. Terrible luck for sure.

My wife and I disagree on this, by the way - help me out! :-)

This wasn't in the lovely FAQ and I didn't see it elsewhere, although I feel like this must have been asked before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Purple (Special) Hero Cards:
These Cards can be played at any time...

(from page 14 of the rulebook)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I saw that but it was a little ambiguous. For example, you can't most of them after drawing a card if you don't like what you see. It does favor my interpretation, though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several FAQs for Defenders of the Realm (base game, Dragon Expansion 1st Edition, and Hero Packs 1-3). This would be an excellent issue for the community to police if the base game rulebook is rewritten.

On page 18 of the FAQ it says:

Purple (Special) Hero Cards - The rules state a purple card can be played at any time,even on another player's turn. Therefore, can a Special Card be played after a Darkness Spreads card has been drawn, but before the minions have been placed or the general moved? For example, if a Darkness Spreads card would move a General intoMonarch City (thus causing the game to be lost), can Battle Strategy be played to move the general back one space before applying the effects of the Darkness Spreads card? Another example is playing Battle Strategy after drawing a Darkness Spreads card but before placing the minions, to avoid taints and overruns.

No - Once a Darkness Spreads card is drawn, the actions on it must be carried out (minions placed and Generals moved) with one exception. When a Darkness Spreads card states PREVENTS, the card is an interrupt card and may be played to prevent the action from occurring (Prevent a General from moving, Prevent a General from Healing). A card that does not state Prevents, must be played prior to drawing the Darkness Spreads card or after, but not while the actions are being completed. The same is true for Quest Rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, I saw that one and that's what I tried to refer to in my post. I guess it wasn't clear.

I'm not asking about playing a purple card after drawing darkness spreads but before placing minions. I'm asking about playing a purple card after drawing darkness spreads and placing minions but before drawing the next darkness spreads (in late or middle war when you have to draw multiple darkness spreads cards). I.e., should drawing all darkness spreads cards be treated as one atomic action (to use computer science terms)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would play that situation as the two darkness spreads cards are part of one darkness spreads phase, so no Special card can be played until after both cards' minions placement and general movement have taken place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each card draw is an atomic event, so you totally can play a Purple card between Darkness Spreads card draws. The FAQ item is very specific, once the Darkness Spreads card is drawn, it's too late to play a purple card unless it says Prevent. So if your wife hadn't drawn that card, yes you could have played a purple card; however, once she drew it - regardless of your intentions - it had to be played, otherwise you'd know what happens next in the game and could min/max.

Dave brings up a good point regarding alternate interpretations, and any rules rewrite should clarify how card draws work in the Night phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Autoduelist's quote and interpretation.

One other tidbit on this: Defenders of the Realm is based on Pandemic. In the current Pandemic rulebook, you'll find the following sentence:

Quote:
Event cards can be played at any time, except in between
drawing and resolving a card.

So the following appears to be the only time when you can't play a special card in Pandemic: Between the revealing of a (singular) card and the resolving of that (singular) card. I think Defenders of the Realm is bringing this same concept over, and while it is slightly more complicated by the Prevent cards, the same principle applies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also see this reasoning implicit in some of the character's abilities, like the Wizard or the Seer's ability to manipulate the Darkness Spreads Deck, which often use phrasing like "the first Darkness Spreads card drawn." If it was truly all-or-nothing, you'd have to draw the full set of cards and then discard to use those abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.