Subject: Can a ranged attack unit attack a unit adjacent to it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules (page 8, top right column) say that ranged attacks "hit the first enemy unit in the attacker's line of sight, no matter how far the unit is."

Someone with whom I just played says that "no matter how far the unit is" means it can also hit a unit adjacent to it.

I always understood that melee units could only attack units adjacent to them, while ranged units could only attack units not adjacent to them.

Question: Can ranged units can attack units adjacent to them?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Yes they can, ranged attacks can hit enemies no matter the distance even ones right next to another.

Think of it as shooting a gun vs stabbing. It doesn't matter how far away the person is, even at point blank range the bullet will still hit them but if the person is out of reach your knife no longer will reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Alexander
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the clarification.

Apparently, I've been misunderstanding it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimABassPlayer wrote:
The rules (page 8, top right column) say that ranged attacks "hit the first enemy unit in the attacker's line of sight, no matter how far the unit is."

Someone with whom I just played says that "no matter how far the unit is" means it can also hit a unit adjacent to it.

Yes: an adjacent enemy unit is certainly "the first enemy unit in the attacker's line of sight". Nothing about that rule requires that the target be farther away than 1 hex; it explicitly says "no matter how far the unit is".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.