Scythe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Feints/Psyche Outs? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth Roberts
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am i correct in thinking that their is little punishment for launching a feint attack where you have no intention of spending cards/power in order to trick your opponent into wasting their cards/power? It seems fairly effective if you have a mine near home base or playing a mobile faction. Aggressive losers don't lose any popularity correct?

(Aside from you mech being sent home and the risk they dont take the bait and make your action a little wasteful)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Kristiansen
Denmark
Kongens Lyngby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most cases your target will get a star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like a waste of an action. Why hand someone a star on your turn? That is a very poor strategy, and yes you get sent home which means you have also lost control of a territory which is more points you are throwing away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't always loose a territory, you can attack with a mech leaving a worker behind.
A double attack on 2 hexes seems a valid tactical option. In the first fight you don't spend much to make a victory in the second easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1869 wrote:
You don't always loose a territory, you can attack with a mech leaving a worker behind.
A double attack on 2 hexes seems a valid tactical option. In the first fight you don't spend much to make a victory in the second easier.

If you lose, you always lose the territory. All your units must retreat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't have controll of the territory before, so you don't loose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lori,

If I understand Matthias' post correctly...

Player A., with a Mech and a Worker in a territory, decides to attack Player B. in an adjacent territory. Player A. moves his Mech into the adjacent territory to conduct combat. If he loses, only the Mech would return to the Home Base. Obviously, if Player A. brought a Worker in the Mech to the combat, and subsequently lost, yes...both units would go the Home Base.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsman
United States
Ely
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you loose you cann't leave a worker behind... but otherwise like the way you are thinking, attacking 2 more Territories to win one. It is fun Attacking 3 Territories needing only one win to win a star to win the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lori MacKenzie
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Lori,

If I understand Matthias' post correctly...

Player A., with a Mech and a Worker in a territory, decides to attack Player B. in an adjacent territory. Player A. moves his Mech into the adjacent territory to conduct combat. If he loses, only the Mech would return to the Home Base. Obviously, if Player A. brought a Worker in the Mech to the combat, and subsequently lost, yes...both units would go the Home Base.

Cheers,
Joe

Ah, yes I see what he meant. Leave the worker to hold the territory you left in order to initiate combat on the adjacent territory.

Risky business!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
itmo wrote:
It seems like a waste of an action. Why hand someone a star on your turn?

I could see it maybe being relevant if (a) Your opponent has two combat stars already, (b) Isn't saxons, and (c) is approaching the 16-power star. (or an alternate-and-even-more-marginal C, "is Crimeans with only one combat card and they're about to produce a fourth thing to end the game and they have no resources to spare.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see doing this when attacked, especially if you can reach that hex again next turn - I did this in my last game, it also helped that I could steal a combat card before combat - but, for reasons others have already mentioned, it seems rather a wasteful use of an action's option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
Bad idea under most conditions. The price you pay is huge - a move, a star and sending the mech home (possibly a territory). The payoff is not guaranteed - the opponent could still see through your bluff, especially considering other possible combats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Zappala
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
ilovedawkins wrote:
Am i correct in thinking that their is little punishment for launching a feint attack where you have no intention of spending cards/power in order to trick your opponent into wasting their cards/power? It seems fairly effective if you have a mine near home base or playing a mobile faction. Aggressive losers don't lose any popularity correct?

(Aside from you mech being sent home and the risk they dont take the bait and make your action a little wasteful)

So, wasting part of an action, giving your opponent a star, and getting a mech sent back to base is... okay?

I have to admit, I have pulled off this tactic:
I was in a position where I "wanted" to be sent back to my base to get some encounters around it. I threw a 5 combat value and my opponent threw a 4 combat value. In this case, a player must assess the "value of winning the combat", I rated it at a 5 out of 12 (combat value). It was a win-win for me, either I win the combat and get a star and the hex, or I let my opponent get the star at the cost of at least 6 combat value to get sent to a place where I wanted my character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hobbs
msg tools
mb
I think a lot of the feint / psyche out revolves around the factory hex.

In one game, I was Rusviet Union and had done the usual early jump to the factory. I'd held it for quite a bit of the game but in the closing third someone desperately wanted a factory card and came in with a mech and character...2 vs. 1.

I'd not had any combat yet and via. recruit one-off/ongoing bonuses, had accrued a few combat cards...although unluckily none of them were decent (if I remember correctly, mainly 2's, a 3 and a 4). I had a lot of power (maybe like 12...cranking out an early upgrade to bolster in the anticipation someone would attack me). I bluffed – fanning the cards out – that I'd go all in and get the maximum of 12 (7 power, 5 card), so after calculating he knew he'd need to use all his 6 of his power plus 2 cards (totalling 6).

He played all his power (6), and two 3's...12. I played 0 power and one 2 (cycling the 2, as loser who uses a combat card draws one replacement). He won, got the star, took the factory card.

He held that factory with one mech, and had his character leave to collect an objective token. No-one else seemed interested in taking that spot, or getting a factory card.

I got my 5th star...one star slot open for combat. I moved my mech into a village, +1 speed got me to the factory using my ability. 1 mech vs. 1 mech, but I had him beat because our previous battle had exhausted his power (he'd make it back up to 4).

I took the factory, ended the game with my combat star. Me +3 hexes, him -3 hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois P
msg tools
I can see plenty of occasions when this could be usefull !

For instance, the Nords retreat on a nearby lake, they can counterattack directly. Just like Jason explained, your opponent may use a large amount power and Attack cards giving you an opportunity for an extra easy fight in the next few rounds. One star for each, he is home with no power and you get the tile !

Another thing to put in the balance would be popularity loss your enemy may suffer if you let him win. Making your opponent loose points by downgrading his popularity bonus and finishing the game the next round may be worth letting him get a star...

In my opinion, all these effects combined make the feint a strategy worth considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.