9 Posts

Human Interface: Nakamura Tower» Forums » General

Subject: First run through of the game - my thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Russ
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi guys, first proper post on BGG! I figured I'd post a quick overview of the game since I haven't seen many reviews/opinion pieces crop up yet.

So, I got two of my gaming buddies over last night to run through this - we've all been gaming (both boardgames and wargames) together for years now (mostly playing Infinity, so we're no slouches with complex rule systems). We were all really keen to try this game out, as the models, board and components look gorgeous:

As you can see from the blurry, poorly lit phone-camera pics above(!), the quality and look of the components (models/board pieces/cards) is absolutely fantastic (yes, really - more pics of the models themselves are on my blog where you can see them properly).

It definitely looks the part - and looks like a premium product on the whole - although the imperfect translation of the rulebook (into English) does let the game down somewhat. After finishing the mission we all agreed that the rules as they stand need a little tightening up.

The loose nature of the wording means that quite a lot of rules are left open to interpretation, because the intent of how they were meant to play out isn't always 100% clear.

The Cyberwarfare Phase in particular needs a ton of clarification as there are contradictions between the written rules and gameplay examples given later in the book. I'd made a few notes after deep-diving into the rulebook so that I could teach my two friends quickly and simply (I find note-taking helps things sink in for me) - although I'd managed 3 and a half pages of an exercise book for this one phase alone - not a good sign.

There are also many situations which can arise during this phase which are not covered or even mentioned at all within the rules. This is real shame that the rules for this section are nowhere near comprehensive enough, especially as this is one of the main unique selling points of this game which differentiates it from other similar products.

There is definitely the potential for a great game in here, it just needs the rules to be fully watertight and more comprehensive to truly shine. I'm really hoping they can rectify things with the FAQ they've insisted is coming very shortly, and maybe with a revised rulebook ready for when they go to retail. Since I mainly backed this Kickstarter on the quality of the models and board pieces (which I intend to use for various Infinity scenarios/proxies), I don't necessarily feel too short-changed by this, my first dabble in Kickstarter. However, I do worry for PostIndustrial Games' sake as other backers may well have higher expectations of the product as a whole, self-contained package, and this could backfire on PInG.

I'll certainly be trying the game again, either with a bunch of house-rules on the Cyberwarfare Phase to make it into a fun little meta-game, or when the FAQ comes out and hopefully answers many questions that we had when playing last night. As it stands, there were far too many instances where we had to guess what the intent of the rule was and that doesn't make for a great experience right now.

I really do hope PInG can fix things though, as I'd like to see this game expand further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Baginski
Poland
flag msg tools
Hello Lee,

yes we are focusing on the rules clarification. Questions need answers definitely.

Cheers
The HINT team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daman whodaman
msg tools
hintthegame wrote:
Hello Lee,

yes we are focusing on the rules clarification. Questions need answers definitely.

Cheers
The HINT team

Happy to hear you are on top of it! I really hope this game expands and picks up. It has potential to something great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lee, the cards, the terrain tiles and the doors seem to be made of flimsy card, can you describe their quality, since you are pleased with the quality?

Edit: I received my copy and the tiles are super thick - thicker than WOTC Dungeon Tiles! The components are some of the best I've seen outside of Space Hulk, and will last a lifetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hintthegame wrote:
Hello Lee,

Cheers
The HINT team

Just make sure we have living rules that are updated so we can download them once all of the rules issues have been sorted out and I will be happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baradifi wrote:
hintthegame wrote:
Hello Lee,

Cheers
The HINT team

Just make sure we have living rules that are updated so we can download them once all of the rules issues have been sorted out and I will be happy

I won't be happy. I have the feeling, that board games follow the same road as software... every new game is full of errors and buyers are used for playtesting. That is even worse with KS projects. I have far too many games to track every one for the latest rules. Games should come with good rules out of the box. Game designers need to playtest their games again, have some players learn the rules by the rulebook and use translators who have an understanding of game terms.

Or game designers should reprint their rulebooks and send them to their customers free of charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Russ
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Sorry for the delayed response!

The doors are of a thinner card stock than the board pieces, but they seem sturdy enough to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Magermilchmagier wrote:
baradifi wrote:
hintthegame wrote:
Hello Lee,

Cheers
The HINT team

I won't be happy. I have the feeling, that board games follow the same road as software... every new game is full of errors and buyers are used for playtesting. That is even worse with KS projects. I have far too many games to track every one for the latest rules. Games should come with good rules out of the box. Game designers need to playtest their games again, have some players learn the rules by the rulebook and use translators who have an understanding of game terms.

Or game designers should reprint their rulebooks and send them to their customers free of charge.

I'm sympathetic to your view -- the devs are already telling us there will be major rule reprints. They could have just left out the rulebook and saved money, because the rulebooks will not be the same as the living rules. I'm still okay with living rules, they are constantly updated here on the Geek, so they're not hard to find. The quality of the components means I'm willing to download the rules instead of having them playable out of the box (but then I bought this game for the minis anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LeemanRuss wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response!

The doors are of a thinner card stock than the board pieces, but they seem sturdy enough to me!

Yeah they sure seem thick enough. I don't know why they looked thin in the picture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.