Popular Tags: [View All]
stefano magliocchi
Italy
Grosseto
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played twice the scenario of the Hydaspes.
I note that there are some mistakes in the deployments of the armies.
First, Coenus is not starting on the right Macedonian wing, but on the left. He goes on the right wing after has pursuing the indian cavalry in front of him.
Second, half of the indian cavalry and at least 1/3 of the indian chariots was destroyed when they tried to block the crossing of the macedonian army, then in the game, there are too much chits.
Third, too much elephant. There was about 100 elephant. There are too much chits on the tabletop.
I was disappointed, because, although it is very difficult to reconstruct a battle of antiquity, Arrianus provides an adequate reconstruction of this battle.
Someone else has been able to win with the macedon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Indians have the option of setting up freely. I deployed the Macedonians as per the book and allowed the contingent commanders to lead any of the units they begin the game with.

Having played it twice, I think that it is the most balanced battle involving Alexander himself. Either side has a chance at victory, even if you do as Porus himself did and send all of your cavalry to the left flank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stefano magliocchi
Italy
Grosseto
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response.
Sure the Macedonian Phalanx is a rolling steamer, and Indian infantry is on trouble with them, but I remain convinced that there is some deployment problems.
(I must say that my opponent roll a series of devastating dice against my elephants).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Phalanxes, I find that the rules are inverted. Whoever attacks is at a disadvantage. Elephants breaking through to behind the Phalanx could be devastating if the Indian player can manage to get orders to both sides. A Phalanx in Square Formation isn't much of a threat to anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.