United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in the days of floppy disks and bragging rights over a 4 MB computer, I recall downloading the very first 1.0 version of Doom. While downloading, to quel my anticipation, I had time to cut the grass and wax my car, and it was still downloading courtesy of Mah Bell. 90 minutes later I was to immerse myself in a video game universe like no other I had ever known. We talk about immersive theme in board games, but OMG!!! There are no words to describe the very real anxiety, fear and shock. What would be behind the next hatchway? The sounds of some horrific beastie somewhere in the room...but where??? The glee in turning monstrosities into goo with a shotgun...plasma gun and the now infamous BFG!!! And my beloved chainsaw. And respawning 50 times before figuring out how to descimate the final big boss to beat the game. Eight hours later I reigned victorious. And I still remember the hours after with the images still etched in my mind. Hearing the whoosh of the hatchways as I walked through rooms in my very own house feeling the same sensations of dread of what beast from hell might be waiting for me in my kitchen! My dreams that night were filled with charging down corridors with my BFG, obliterating anything that moved in my dreamscape.

Many years have passed and I can't remember the last time I held a video game controller. My time is now filled with the wonder of board games. I don't expect Doom the board game to bring me to those heights, but it will be lovely to spend time with an old friend. And I know the sounds and images from the video game will still replay in my head as I play. I can hear my chainsaw now:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post Karl. If you have a computer capable of running the new DOOM PC game, try it out. I felt it very much captured the feel of the original with updated everything.

I hope the gameplay as well captures the deathmatch feel. If Arcadia Quest is any indication, some people like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Nice post Karl. If you have a computer capable of running the new DOOM PC game, try it out. I felt it very much captured the feel of the original with updated everything.

I hope the gameplay as well captures the deathmatch feel. If Arcadia Quest is any indication, some people like that.

Thanks! If you can play it on a Mac, I'll make it mine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Many years have passed and I can't remember the last time I held a video game controller. My time is now filled with the wonder of board games. I don't expect Doom the board game to bring me to those heights, but it will be lovely to spend time with an old friend. And I know the sounds and images from the video game will still replay in my head as I play. I can hear my chainsaw now:

Your story is a lot like mine. About 3 years ago was when I finally dropped the controller. But, my computer is still set up to run Doom and all the old games that made me who I am. For me, I actually started with Wolfenstein 3d and Catacombs 3d. Doom was a big upgrade.

You might want to consider the first edition though. It is based off of Doom 3, but it gave me a very close to feel of the old computer games. It might be expensive these days, but it is definitely worth it.

BTW, I loved the chainsaw and the shotgun most of all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
demondude777 wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:

Your story is a lot like mine. About 3 years ago was when I finally dropped the controller. But, my computer is still set up to run Doom and all the old games that made me who I am. For me, I actually started with Wolfenstein 3d and Catacombs 3d. Doom was a big upgrade.

You might want to consider the first edition though. It is based off of Doom 3, but it gave me a very close to feel of the old computer games. It might be expensive these days, but it is definitely worth it.

BTW, I loved the chainsaw and the shotgun most of all.

Yes, Wolfenstein and Catacombs were my second place go to's. They all were amazing because everything else, even Duke Nuke'm, were side scrollers. The whole 3D environment was ground breaking for its time.

My go to was either the BFG or the plasma gun (hope they make it into the board game). I kept blowing my own self up with the missle gun (not good in close quarters). But for sheer visceral melee pleasure, nothing could top my trusty chainsaw!

Actually I priced out Doom 3 for Mac and found it for 10 bucks! Now if I could just find an old timey joystick that will work with my Mac, that'll get it done nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:
Now if I could just find an old timey joystick that will work with my Mac, that'll get it done nicely.

You want to play FPS games on a PC/Mac with a joystick? Mouse and Keyboard will work far better.

DOOM 3 was a corridor shooter with engine limitations which meant only a handful of enemies could be on screen at any one time. The new DOOM! has improved a bit in that most fights take place in arena like environments and the number of enemies the engine can render on screen has gone up a bit. It's turned into a bit of a game of resource management though as you have to switch between weapons quite frequently in these arenas as ammo depletes. The chainsaw is limited by fuel and can be used to "refill" your ammo once used. The glory kill system is also new in that you can stagger enemies and then finish them off with a hand-to-hand attack for a bonus (it doesn't feel very Doomish to me to be honest).

I'm looking forward to the new boardgame as it looks quite different to the original. I think the Glory Kill concept will work better in a face-to-face game than playing by yourself on a computer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
Wise Cracker
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeufelHund wrote:
MrMzchf wrote:
Now if I could just find an old timey joystick that will work with my Mac, that'll get it done nicely.

You want to play FPS games on a PC/Mac with a joystick? Mouse and Keyboard will work far better.

DOOM 3 was a corridor shooter with engine limitations which meant only a handful of enemies could be on screen at any one time. The new DOOM! has improved a bit in that most fights take place in arena like environments and the number of enemies the engine can render on screen has gone up a bit. It's turned into a bit of a game of resource management though as you have to switch between weapons quite frequently in these arenas as ammo depletes. The chainsaw is limited by fuel and can be used to "refill" your ammo once used. The glory kill system is also new in that you can stagger enemies and then finish them off with a hand-to-hand attack for a bonus (it doesn't feel very Doomish to me to be honest).

I'm looking forward to the new boardgame as it looks quite different to the original. I think the Glory Kill concept will work better in a face-to-face game than playing by yourself on a computer.

Thanks for the info. Doom 4 isn't available for Mac yet as far as I've seen. Do you have a good recommendation for a game mouse. The Mac keyboard and mouse are unwieldy at best for Doom 3. Doom board game can't get here soon enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Appleton
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMzchf wrote:

Thanks for the info. Doom 4 isn't available for Mac yet as far as I've seen. Do you have a good recommendation for a game mouse. The Mac keyboard and mouse are unwieldy at best for Doom 3.

I'm part of the PC Master Race so I'm not sure about a good mouse compatible with Macs. I've been using this mouse that I bought in 2005 and it's the best I've ever used for gaming and seems to work with OSX:

http://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/mx518-optical-gami...

Not sure if it's still available though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.