Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Akrotiri» Forums » General

Subject: Observations and confirmation regarding 5 point 2 portage move goal card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opportunity to play 3+ games at the WBC. Wow, what a great game! We really enjoyed it and this game will easily become the go-to 2 player game. The thematic elements and mechanics just blend well together. Extremely enjoyable.

Interestingly, the first player lost all three games which is unusual. Most likely coincidence. Anyone else experience this circumstance?

Regarding the 5 point, 2 portage move goal card. It portrays two islands between Thera and the island I assume to be the island the temple must be located to earn the bonus. In the three games we played the largest map built only extended 1 portage move away from Thera. Based on these games, it seems rare just to get a map built out to have an island 2 portages moves out from Thera let alone a player actually excavating there. At that point in the game there are usually plenty of options to excavate and it is easier to purchase a map card which will likely give the player a less costly option to excavate.

Just to confirm --- is the sequence Thera -> shipping move -> island 1 -> portage move (1) -> shipping move -> island 2 -> portage move (2) -> shipping move -> island 3 score goal card bonus points here?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah that's how that one works. And if island 3 later ends up getting directly connected to Thera, you don't get the bonus.

The usefulness of that goal depends a lot on how the layout ends up. I've played a game where we ended up having to portage 1 to go to most of the useful islands, so going another portage beyond that wasn't so bad. I've also had times where I tried to build a little network of islands all in the same area 2 portage away so I could stick around a build a few temples there if I had enough money built up.

Also, don't forget that if your boat is empty of cargo you can move over a shipping route and a portage with only one action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting comments. We did interpret and play the goal card correctly so no issues... just wanted confirmation. In our games it just seemed almost not usable due to difficulty so it is good to hear someone using it to play into their strategy. Agreed, that the layout drives the usefulness of the card --- actually the layout drives the usefulness of most of the goal cards in my opinion.

The double move with an empty boat was utilized very often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
rpisarzjr wrote:
Interesting comments. We did interpret and play the goal card correctly so no issues... just wanted confirmation. In our games it just seemed almost not usable due to difficulty so it is good to hear someone using it to play into their strategy. Agreed, that the layout drives the usefulness of the card --- actually the layout drives the usefulness of most of the goal cards in my opinion.

The double move with an empty boat was utilized very often.

I really like the game.

But if i had to find a problem with it, it would definitely be those objective cards. Some are definitely better than others, as they give more points than others for the same amount of efforts you have to put i to them.

As you optimize your moves, having to go 2 islands away is time spent that your opponent will use to go ahead of you in the game, with more temples, which will snowball in him having more actions and getting ahead even faster.

If the game was played with 3 or 4 players, i think that particular card would be much easier to do, as the map would invariably get a whole lot bigger before the game ends. It indeed might be a development "relic" from when the game was being designed with more players in mind (though the dev might confirm that or not himself, as he lurks here quite a lot ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cormier
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct Martin! A reprint is coming with some possible tweaks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Pisarz, Jr.
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcormier wrote:
A reprint is coming with some possible tweaks!!!

Jay-
Any thoughts on making any tweaks and updates available to those who have the 1st edition? It'd be great to be able to obtain (purchase) the updated goal card pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rpisarzjr wrote:
jcormier wrote:
A reprint is coming with some possible tweaks!!!

Jay-
Any thoughts on making any tweaks and updates available to those who have the 1st edition? It'd be great to be able to obtain (purchase) the updated goal card pack.

+1 for that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Cormier
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We'll mention it to ZMan as it'll be their call. Good idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
It's also an easy goal to realize someone is attempting to complete if you've played the game a few times. I generally remove that goal card given how difficult it can be for new players should they get it.

Great game though! Probably my favourite Bamboozle Brothers game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anyone figure out what those possible tweaks may have been? I would be interested to try them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Sommer

Ohio
msg tools
CrusaderX wrote:
Did anyone figure out what those possible tweaks may have been? I would be interested to try them out.

Yes this has peaked my interest as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.