4 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Advice on painting Tyrant (human form) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Hi folks

Apologies if this in a painting thread, but I'm not sure on the techniques of this specific miniature.

Looking at the robe of the Tyrant, there are some pretty intricate patterns to paint along. I'm trying to figure out a way to base paint the robe one colour and paint the patterns a different one.

I'm guessing a VERY thin base layer over the whole robe, followed by a wash to highlight the pattern and a technical paint, or base followed by highlights, to highlight the pattern.

Any other tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The same principle, if not the same effect- I'd do a layer that was the hafl-way between the two colors around the patterns, to make it a little more forgiving with the detailing and so the edges aren't so harsh. got this effect:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Stellar work, So unless I'm mistaken you layered around the pattern, before applying your base colour for the robe, and then did the detail work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, and, sorry, no, I:

1-did the base-- warm grey to dull red to red-orange
2- painted the outlines of the relevant details in about half-way between the current stage and the next one (for instance, near the top, a dull red, in the middle a red-range)
3- high-lit everything I wanted to stand out in a brighter orange

since you're not doing the transition, I'd say that'd be something like green, bright green and a little sloppy, yellow along the lines, bright yellow... or something like that, of course depending on your colors. The more layers, the smoother. The details are low enough that I'd definitely have a thin brush ready to paint the ridges by hand rather than try to just follow the contour and assume it won't get sloppy- some areas were harder than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.