Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stumbled upon the game on Thursday at the Asmodee booth. Picked it up for $80. There were tons of copies, should be plenty left even now. Completely blindsided by its availability. I thought there would just be an unofficial demo at best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I wasn't expecting that until Essen. Surprised there's not been any reviews or similar. I'll be very interested to hear what you think of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wait.. What? Pictures or didn't happen.

Matagot was on the BGG Livestream yesterday to demo their games, this wasn't mentioned so...

Edit: It's true, I just watched a video by Marco Arnaudo about it.
https://youtu.be/6H0ZS1m9quQ

I wonder if they decided not to push it because some other similar games released at GenCon stole their thunder or if they don't have much confidence in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What!? Well this is a shocker. Let us know what you think of it once you've had time to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Brown
England
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
No, I'M Spartacus
badge
\m/
mbmbmbmbmb
Even their website article from the 2nd says demo only at GenCon, releasing in September

https://www.asmodee.us/en/news/2016/8/2/failte-go-inis/

I guess they airshipped in a few copies, but weird they didn't announce they were doing that. The bgg preview also has it as demo only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Matagot
Canada
flag msg tools
publisher
Matagot
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did ship early copies, not many, to help our distributor for the promotion of the game. For reviewers, conventions demo copies etc.

It was not suppose to be available for sale...glad for you and the rest of people who got a copy. We are not sure if it will be the final artwork, so there's a fair chance you own a very limited artwork version of the game.

The official release is Essen in October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it twice: once as a two player learning game, once as a three player game, so take this with a grain of salt. I own and love Cyclades, Cyclades: Hades, Cyclades: Titans, Kemet, Kemet: Ta-Seti (have not played yet), C3K, Chaos in the Old World, Chaos in the Old World: The Horned Rat, and Blood Rage. So, expect constant comparisons to these.

My biggest worry going in was the lack of board action in the game. One type of unit, two types of buildings, and tiles. It didn't seem, at first glance, that anything was going on. It turns out, all of the action takes place within the cards.

17 unique actions (drafted from action cards each round), 16(?) unique areas that come with "advantage cards" to augment your hand of action cards, and a big stack of "Epic Tale" cards that are unique one-time abilities. So, there's a lot going on in the pool of potential available actions and becoming familiar with the cards will take multiple games to get a proper feel for how to manipulate the board, just like any other game involving drafting.

It didn't draw me in immediately like how Cyclades does with its five god actions and monster cards or Kemet with its action board. It's a bit of a slow burn as you mull through your first draft and see action cards play out on the table. After a few rounds of this, you start thinking about what sort of cards you need, what your opponents will need, what you should get to counter, what you can expect your opponents will use to counter, and so on. It's sort of like an easy-going Blood Rage, where combat is less intense and the drafts are more often and more familiar.

The combat is fairly simple. When a fight breaks out, attacked units get a chance to hide in citadels, removing them from the fight. Fights go on until either one side remains or everyone involved agrees on a truce. When a player is attacked, they either have to discard an action card or lose a figure on that space. Takes some getting used to, as it goes around the table a couple times to resolve fully at worst.

The victory conditions are surprisingly tricky to get, but like Cyclades with its metropolises, more elements for winning are introduced until it's almost impossible for someone not to win. I think the part that we neglected the most in our game and that was vital for a quicker game was racking up Deeds. They're used as wild cards to help achieve victory conditions. Next time, I plan on hoarding these to see what happens.

So, while I'd say it's far less intense of a game than its Matagot XL brethren (apart from Giants, as I have not played that one to personally judge), I think it has earned its place on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefan Matagot wrote:
We did ship early copies, not many, to help our distributor for the promotion of the game. For reviewers, conventions demo copies etc.

It was not suppose to be available for sale...glad for you and the rest of people who got a copy. We are not sure if it will be the final artwork, so there's a fair chance you own a very limited artwork version of the game.

The official release is Essen in October.

Ooof, sorry to hear there was some sort of miscommunication with Asmodee. That's extremely unfortunate, especially if that hurts promotion efforts at such a pivotal time of the year for board games.

Just to throw my 2 cents in regarding the art, while I may not be a fan of the box front's artwork, everything else (cards, tiles, rulebook, insert, even the *back* of the box) looks great!

Also, the cards are excellent for people with low vision acuity, which is something that is usually overlooked with modern games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmodee had a press event where demos were given to members of the media and this was the game I immediately sat down for. I agree with Ian's comments about it taking a little while to click and appreciation to build. It's not as direct or aggressive as either Cyclades or Kemet, but you can pull off some very interesting moves and combinations with the cards/draft.

I really love the negotiation aspect and how you may want to move into an area with opponents and not fight. This was a key element during my play.

This seems like a deeper game with a slow burn, much to appreciate and discover. I'm also very happy that feels reminiscent of Cyclades/Kemet but not identical. It certainly has its own personality.

Also, I love the entire look and feel of the game. The art direction is great. The tiles are wonderful.

Reviewers were given copies so you should start to see reviews posted in the near future. I'm going to take my time with it and make sure I fully grok its depth before opining further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinda wishing I had purchased this on Thursday, but the high cost coupled with lack of info made me hesitate. By the time I decided to buy it on Friday, it was gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan A.Y.
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mb
Seems like the rulebook is still unavailable.... really curious how this game pans out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these comments.

As a great lover of Cyclades (the action auction remains one of my favorite mechanics in a hybrid doam game) and many other games in this genre, I have had my eye on this.

It struck me as somewhat abstract from early descriptions. Of course, all games are ultimately abstractions, but I wondered how strong a sense of place and mythos there is here.

Perhaps most importantly, were you left with the sense that clever gameplay wins? Does this build throughout the game? Is there a sense of picking and following a strategy, or is it more a random card driven tactical experience, which hinges on a last turn swing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

Perhaps most importantly, were you left with the sense that clever gameplay wins? Does this build throughout the game? Is there a sense of picking and following a strategy, or is it more a random card driven tactical experience, which hinges on a last turn swing?

I think the core of strategy stems from holding specific tiles, as they provide specific advantage cards to be used as actions. I still (sadly) haven't played enough to pin any one strategy down yet, but they seem to be the key to striking blows. They're nearly the equivalent to Cyclade's monster cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ducttape2021 wrote:
I think the core of strategy stems from holding specific tiles

I suppose you mean Tales...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris wrote:
Ducttape2021 wrote:
I think the core of strategy stems from holding specific tiles

I suppose you mean Tales...

No, I meant the tiles as they provide Advantage Cards that are pretty powerful when it comes to movement. Though to be honest I don't have a very strong hold on Epic Tales cards and how they fit into strategies. They're far more varied and less reliable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok!
You're right some territories and their advantages are important in your strategies, as are the tales, as the only cards that you can hold from turn to turn until you play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.