Chaos in the Old World: The Horned Rat Expansion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Nurgle's Quest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
How exactly does one properly set up Nurgle's Quest? In all the games I've had it, I've rarely had an opportunity to unleash it. It seems like you have to set up your game specifically to trigger this card for it to work right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is most practical in a 3 player game, where the game can go longer and Nurgle gets more dials (so you have mroe chance to set it up to combo with Upgrades) and you have less competition. It can be a beastly card in that situation.

In a 4 or 5 player game, it is highly situational card at best. Most games it should go unplayed as it is too expensive and risky. You indeed need to fortify a territory ahead of time before you drop it, and before you invest 4 PP into it you should have damn good reason to believe that no one will think it's worth it to invest resources into making it not worth your while because it usually isn't terribly hard for them to do so and you are probably going out first.

The most effective use I've seen of Nurgle's Quest in a 4-5 player game was when another player was threatening the win (Horned Rat) so hampering Nurgle was just not a priority. I've probably only seen it used effectively maybe two to three times in 4+ player out of 60+ games so I'm not terribly impressed with the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.