Hide
6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: change decks opinion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
juan b
msg tools
i new in this game i need to now how true is this... i must change my deck for each mission or not? thank

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a requirement that you change decks for each mission. But some are really challenging, and you may want to at least tweak your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
There are some decks (Boromir decks in particular) which are capable of beating any quest, with virtually no changes. Some very rare quests require a specialized deck in most cases though:

Stone of Erech, Siege of Cair Andros, and Dol Guldor come to mind.

But overall I like trying a single deck against as many different quests as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't really have to make decks for specifics missions in the early quests. With the exception of Journey to Rhosgobel, a good deck from the first cycle or two should work against all of the quests. Later on they start adding mechanics like Battle and Siege that will make some decks struggle. Also some player decks that get introduced like Secrecy won't work against every quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you can do is make a general purpose deck that quests and fights well, then just construct a small sideboard of cards that are particularly useful against certain kind of quests. When you've identified a quest as that type, throw in your sideboard cards and go after it again.

For example, quests with nasty conditions (like Caught in a Web) are relatively common. If you're going against a quest with conditions and you have lore, throw in both copies of Miner of the Iron Hills (or three copies if you have two cores). As your card pool expands, you'll have a few more options:

Elrond (Lore 3 ally, 1 turn only, can remove condition or heal a hero or have each player draw a card.)
Athelas (Lore 1 attachment). Must go on a dunedain or healer and requires the character exhausting and the attachment discarded, but heals a character and can discard one condition.
Power of Orthanc (spirit 0 event). Doomed 2, each player can remove a condition.

A card like Power of Orthanc is really only useful as a sideboard. Most quests with conditions it is worth Doom 2 to get rid of them, but quests without conditions it's wasted space in your deck.

Here's some sideboards I've used:
1) Condition removal
2) Ignoring travel requirements (i.e. Thror's Map)
3) (extra) Shadow Protection
4) Placing progress on locations
5) Enemy engagement (for high-threat and annoying enemies that can't be optionally engaged)
6) (extra) healing

All of these show up in multiple quests spread over multiple cycles, but in those same cycles there are quests that don't need them at all.

There are a few quests that have specialized requirement (for example, Rhosgobel becomes much easier with lots of one-shot healing cards, Honour Guard and/or Shadow of the Past). But those are relatively rare -- and depending on your style of play, you may enjoy beating Rhosgobel less often with a normal deck then beating it consistently with a specialized deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Merrill
msg tools
mbmbmb
Once I'd got a handle for deck-building, I was able to finish the core and first two cycles without major deck changes, except with Journey to Rosghobel. (You need lots of healing. And/or lots of ranged.)

I'm currently struggling with the Against the Shadow cycle due to the battle and siege quests.

I've played a couple of Print-on-demand quests and those also didn't require major changes to my deck.

I think that if you make a deck that has a way to handle three of the four major game demands--handle enemies, make quest progress, get cards, pay for cards--then you can solve most quests with a little luck and a few minor changes to your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.