Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I'm thinking of putting some micromachines on Star Trek Attack Wing pegs/bases.

The part of the STAW peg that goes into the ship seems to be about the same diameter as the micromachines' peg. The difference is in the length since the STAW peg is about twice as long. Let me know if you've looked into this and found I'm wrong.

So, do you recommend drilling the hole deeper into the model or simply cutting the peg shorter? What tool(s) do you recommend? Did I mention that I don't do modeling? (part of why pre assembled and painted miniatures is the way to go for me).

Anybody do this? I'm assuming so considering the size comparison chart thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried 3 different ways to put various ships on STAW stands with varying usefulness.

From least effective to most effective:
1) Somebody on Shapeways makes pegs that fit into micro machines and fit down onto the STAW base. You'd think this would be the best way to go but it's a little fiddly and the longer ones are a bit unwieldy. It does work. If you look on Shapeways and they're still producing them, you might just find them.

2) Zip tie crowns (the square piece) have been used to glue to the bottom of the micro machine (or any ship). Trouble is, it's really hard to make it work without being too lose or too tight. It's cheap but not satisfactory.

3) What I do these days is to take a spare clear center pole for the STAW stands (I have a lot of ships and a whole bag of spare stands) which I cut about in half. I take the piece with the female connector and I rough up the cut side with a Drexel to smooth it and rough it up a little. I take a regular STAW stand, complete with its unmodified pole and put it on the table. I then put the female side of my modified stand down on the stand. The roughened side of the half peg is now facing up. I then take the ship to mount (including micro machines) and put a drop of glue on the roughened edge of the half peg and place the ship down on the glue drop as straight as I can manage and hold it for a couple of minutes. I use super glue (zap ca) and use zip kicker if it's too fiddly. I sometimes have to do this a couple of times before I manage to do it straight. I then let it dry and when it's dry I put another drop of glue on spot where the peg is glued to the ship and turn it upside down so it doesn't drip downward.

The result of number 3 is a nice, easy to use stand that hardly every fails on me, and when it does can be re-glued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I once wrote a guide to fixing wonkey pegs which would help a bit, here it is:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1273384/re-positioning-ship-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nixon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I was very happy with a product someone makes on Shapeways--it's an adapter piece that fits the top of a STAW peg and fits into a micromachine.
If you go to Shapeways, search "32x MMch to FFG" (without the quotes) and you'll see it. (And you'll see my review for it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most everyone I know just uses extra pegs from Attack wing and trims them down. You stick the trimmed end into the hole in the model and leave the open end sticking out to put on the peg on the bases. Just be sure that they are aligned straight (not that WK ever puts them on straight.

To be honest though, the best way to do it is with ball bearing/BBs. You glue one of them to the top of the peg that you use on your bases and pick up some of the small concave magnets from any online retailer that sit smoothly on top of the ball. This allows your ships to be adjusted to various angles to make them look cooler and fit next to each other without hitting, and makes for super easy storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been using micro machines for the constitution and constellation classes since STAW came out and haven't had any problems.

Just take a small drill bit, slightly smaller than the male end of the STAW peg. Drill a hole inside of the micro machine hole. The micro machines are a type of rubber so you want it to fit snug. Then just insert the STAW peg. I have 6 micro machine Constitutions and 3 Constellations and this method worked great for them. No need to spend money on extra bits and gluing crap you don't need to the modelshake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.