Subject: My mailbox is full of ads from funeral homes... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are my doctors sharing my history with them? Do they get a cut?

Or should I just take the deluxe package with 25% off and brag to my family how much I saved them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh, oh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Are my doctors sharing my history with them? Do they get a cut?

Or should I just take the deluxe package with 25% off and brag to my family how much I saved them?

Since someone brought it up. I think there should be a rule that funeral homes must place accent marks above the "u" in funeral. My reasoning is because there is no fun in funeral(s). "Ü" should be required, I do not care how it is pronounced and so forth, those events/places are just no fun.

As for what to do with my physical remains, cremate that pile of carbon. Save the money you would spend on a coffin, burial plot, and memorial service. Toss my ashes where ever.
Gather everyone together, cook a great big meal, get all the board games out and have a great time!

As for the mail you are receiving, I do not think your doctors sharing anything. Those pesky insurance companies on the other hand, they may be selling your info. Insurance companies keep track of statistics about everything they can. So let us blame them.
That is my two pennies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still want my body to placed on a wooden long boat, doused in kerosene, and set afire as it is cast adrift to see me off to the next world. If only to avoid the funeral service fees. Those bastards! shake

Don't give in Andy, tell them you're immortal and do not need their services...ever! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sew me in my hammock
With iron shot at foot and head.
Then slide me o'er the gunwale
Till the sea give up her dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
A death certificate is usually a public record; good point about insurance companies.

I'm sure prices vary, but one of the cheapest in my area is cremation and scattering the ashes at sea; I think they can divide the ashes up if someone wants a jar on the mantle. You can do a traditional burial at sea, but that's more expensive. Coffins are very expensive; you might want to look at Costco. What they do to the body for an open coffin service, you do not want to know.

My personal preference is scattering the ashes at sea, or in your case in lake. Cremation puts all the water, most of our weight, into the air, so really, you can have a memorial reminder in any body of water, or a cloud. Spend the money on a nice memorial gathering or wake or put it towards the grandkids' college funds.

The funeral/memorial/wake is for the living, not the departed.

Who gets your GG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be cremated but I want an ADT sign close by so everyone will know my ashes will be monitored.

GG - up for bids. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm tempted to geek mail you a link to where I work, but you sound like you might have had enough of looking at funeral home stuff.laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pone4games wrote:
Don't give in Andy, tell them you're immortal and do not need their services...ever! :cool:

LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A mate (who is not over 50) is getting a few now, due to the fact he has a medical pension starting payouts, thus is now a pensioner.

So yes, I suspect it may be people selling such info off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I will be cremated but I want an ADT sign close by so everyone will know my ashes will be monitored.

GG - up for bids. cool

In all seriousness I have already setup and have funded a trust to pay for my cremation and other related services. Also have a number of other legal documents signed and notarized (e.g. DNR) to pretty much take the matter out of my family's hands.

Though, lately I have considered full body donation for medical research and even the Body Farm, but have held off so far as I fear my family will absolutely flip out if I did that without consulting with them first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne mathias
United States
Niceville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Requirement 1 would have to be that I became assured the funeral home would outlive me.

Does anyone have info on life expectancy of funeral homes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gxnpt wrote:
Requirement 1 would have to be that I became assured the funeral home would outlive me.

Does anyone have info on life expectancy of funeral homes?

You do not have to set up a trust with any specific funeral home or crematory service. What I set up was is called a Totten trust, which is a 'payable upon death' account. I have directed my trust to pay the nearest and most affordable service when I pass from this world, though many leave this to their family to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really important to check how the funds will be kept/managed if you intend to pre-pay for a funeral.

Over the last decade at least two (that I can think of) funeral homes have gone belly up down here, and anyone who had pre-paid lost their money. Where I work now belongs to something called the FDANZ, Funeral Directors association of New Zealand. It manages the pre-paid funds on behalf of its members. So they are kept independent of the company who arranged the funeral. The company could fold, and the money won't be lost. People can even transfer their business to another FDANZ company, and use the money there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I willed my body to Science.

Science is contesting the will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okiedokie wrote:
I willed my body to Science.

Science is contesting the will.

In NZ donating your body to science isn't a sure thing. In Auckland the med school is the only receiver of cadavers, (the technical term for a body used for medical or scientific research)and they only have so many on site at a time.

So even if you donate your body to science here, they might not take it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
Rule of thumb:

Do not worry about it until

Froggy McFrogface
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb

starts a thread with your name as the title whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remain calm so this doesn't happen to you:
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/man-dies-from-heart-att...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
Remain calm so this doesn't happen to you:
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/man-dies-from-heart-att...

Part me wants to cry, part of me wants to laugh.

The part that wants to laugh is slightly in the lead at the moment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Denney
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose, are you sure you have not been getting mail intended for the guy in the article?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.