Subject: This or Italian front rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francois-Xavier
Germany
Seeheim-Jugenheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hesitating between both games, which one is easier to grasp for a newcomer to the No Retreat series?

Thanks,

F
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Italian front is the most complex, although North Africa is a close second. Russian front is simplest.

I wouldn't think of these as a series in the sense of a common set of rules; it is actually more difficult to play them in proximity due to the ubiquitous and numerous small differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jelley
United Kingdom
Hungerford
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go for North Africa, It has more movement, more scenarios, and the extra Crete game. Italy is more start-stop across the mountains, though Sicily is OK and you do get amphibious assaults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to be honest: I love the physical components on all of these games, but the rules make my head hurt, and I've been a wargamer for many years.

Maybe I'm just getting old! I'd say start with North Africa for the reasons previously mentioned. Besides, it is the only one of the two you mentioned that I've actually played (and poorly at that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Germany
Seeheim-Jugenheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I'm a bit worried about the ruleset as I play a lot of different games and I was looking for something reasonably straightforward ( as far as wargames go). The Russian front one looked ok from that point of view. Are the rules for NA inherently complex then or just laid out in an unintuitive way?

On the plus side, the Crete mini game would make the game hit the table more often. I just spotted a cheap Victory Point games version in French which looks quite tempting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should go in order and start with RF. NAF is a fantastic wargame however, and it's played out on fairly small maps with low counter density. The Operation Compass scenario is as easy an intro to tbe No Retreat system as you're going to get.

Italian Front is awesome too. Hmmmmm... I'm not being very much help here am I?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
macfix wrote:
On the plus side, the Crete mini game would make the game hit the table more often. I just spotted a cheap Victory Point games version in French which looks quite tempting...

The "Jeux Griffon" version does not have the Crete mini game. Also, I never got a copy of it, so can't vouch on how the rules were translated or if they changed anything the design. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="macfix"]I'm hesitating between both games, which one is easier to grasp for a newcomer to the No Retreat series?
[q]

Definitely this one:

Plus it has lots of short scenarios. Do download the second edition rules if you get it: lots of precisions added.

The simpler is still, reprinted this year:

Of course it all depends on your preferred campaign, too.

Also coming up, early next year (sorry for the non-cover):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing one Carl - the one you are secretly working on so I can have 5 No Retreats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeWhit wrote:
Your missing one Carl - the one you are secretly working on so I can have 5 No Retreats!

Right, but this one is NOT on the P500 yet. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Germany
Seeheim-Jugenheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input Carl! I'm so intrigued by the system that I'll get NR2 for now and knowing myself, I'll probably cave in later in the year and get NR1 as well.
The short scenarios is definitely a plus with two small kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
macfix wrote:
Thanks for the input Carl! I'm so intrigued by the system that I'll get NR2 for now and knowing myself, I'll probably cave in later in the year and get NR1 as well.
The short scenarios is definitely a plus with two small kids

Excellent decision, these two are fast-playing.

Don't forget that No Retreat 3: The French and Polish Fronts is coming up next year, too: two games into one, and only half a map for both games: low forma factor, and there will be scenarios in as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boldl wrote:

Looking at your collection, No Retreat would really not be considered introductory or straight forward. I don't know where this narrative has come from on BGG but these games are not introductory war games. I would think something in the CDG systems would be more suitable for most new players.

Right. From what François-Xavier said, he was NOT asking for an introductory wargame, but which of the No Retreat! titles would be easier to play.

He owns the whole Combat Commander: Europe series already and many other wargames, some quite introductory already, like Memoir '44 or Hammer of the Scots. meeple

But since he already also owns The Grizzled, if he has any interest in WWI, then Paths of Glory would be a nice CDG to try, too.

Sinon, je suis toujours disponible pour répondre aux qestions! Et il existe une version Française des règles et des cartes pour NR1 et NR2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Germany
Seeheim-Jugenheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed Carl. My first war-game ever was World in Flames, playing operation Barbarossa, so I guess that counts as jumping in at the deep end! Unfortunately, due to having small kids, a multi-day game does not appeal as much anymore.

I had a look at Paths of Glory and it looks quite interesting, but I'm playing quite a few CDG's at the moment (Empire of the Sun, Hannibal,...) so I'm lacking courage to try it straight away and that will be my new year's resolution!

Anyway, I think I'm all sorted on the main rules now, thanks to the video play through by Mike and a read of the rulebook! The flow of play looks very interesting and the game seems quite dynamic, especially in operation Compass as there's not too many units in play.

Thanks you both for the help and recommendations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Comben
United Kingdom
Tunbridge Wells
flag msg tools
mb
Both are excellent games, treat yourself and get both
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JComben wrote:
Both are excellent games, treat yourself and get both

Plu the upcoming reprint of No Retreat! The Russian Front this year.

And the future No Retreat 3: The French and Polish Fronts. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois-Xavier
Germany
Seeheim-Jugenheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, just confirming I now own NR,NR2 and NR4. They're all great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
macfix wrote:
Ok, just confirming I now own NR,NR2 and NR4. They're all great!

WOW...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.