$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi BGGers,

the title explains everything! I hope I got your interest! Of course, playing with WG requires the original game...

Some links:
1) You can download the latest P&P version (0.7) of the "Wolf Guard" expansion here (soon also in the "Files" section of SH.DA).
2) You can fill in a questionnaire to help me improving the game here.
3) You find more information about the development of the expansion here: [WIP] Wolf Guard - A fanmade expansion for Space Hulk: Death Angel - The Card Game.

Many thanks for your help!

Marco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I suggest adding a description of what the expansion adds changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for your interest and your question, as the designer I was thinking some relevant information as obvious when it is not.

In the original game you play with 3-6 squads of Blood Angels Space Marines. Another official expansion has been released introducing the Death Angels (Death Wings). This fanmade expansion let you play the Space Wolves.

Different Chapters play quite differently. Blood Angels are average on many respects. Death Wings play much more coordinated. In designing the Wolf Guard, I have tried to highlight the distinctive features of the Space Wolves chapter.

Space Wolves are characterised by a preference for close combat, which translates into (i) shorter range, (ii) lower killing rate, and consequently (iii) higher death risk.

In Wolf Guard, I have been designing the teams to reflect these features, therefore adding a specific taste for playing with the Space Wolves. In particular:
(i) the average range of the combat teams has been reduced;
(ii) the possibility of multi-killing has been limited when compared to Blood Angels;
(iii) higher death risk results from the likeability to quickly cumulate many genestealers in a swarm.

I am bringing on the design of the Wolf Guard to balance these negative traits. Balancing is achieved by four main mechanisms:
(i) higher killing average. Other chapters (e.g., Blood Angels) have burst damage: you have to preserve their firing capacities until you can kill as many GS as you can. In the time between, they have good defending skills. Wolf Guards are different: they fight to keep the enemy threat below the critical treshold. Let it get higher, and you will lack the capacity to bring it down. Even though their attack capacities often lack multi-killing, they are quite precise and have many chances to eliminate genestealers even with their support and movement abilities.

(ii) good defence abilities against small swarms: since they are acquainted to close combat, Wolf Guards easily deal with small numbers of enemies in melee fighting. As a result, their defence skills against small swarms are better than Blood Angels, while they tend to be worse when the enemies are overwhelming.

(ii) maneuvring enemy swarms: It is crucial for the Wolf Guards not to fight against big swarms. In the game, the Wolf Guards, have a chance to increase their surviving capacities by moving enemy swarms (thereby preventing their merging) and by splitting them when charging against them.

(iv) coordinated actions: WGs fighting in close combat are strongly tied and pay attention to each other. As a result, their fighting capacities improve when they fight together. In the game, this has been implemented with the recognition of a special status to Melee Fighters (i.e., Space Marines with limited range, there are 6 of them), and a special condition, i.e."assisted action". For each team, one action card has a basic effect, and one improved effect that is activated if the Space Marine executing the action is adjacent to a Melee Fighter facing the same direction. Exploiting the activation of assisted actions is essential to maximize the Team's capacities and bring the Squad to victory.

If you are curious about seeing the Wolf Guard at work, here there as link to a session report about them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sparks
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may get some helpful input having a post in the Space Hulk forum space, under variants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco F.
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
spazz451 wrote:
You may get some helpful input having a post in the Space Hulk forum space, under variants.

I have done this but thanks for the suggestion! I guess it is just hard having people testing something you are developing by yourself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.