Hide
8 Posts

Dead of Winter: The Long Night» Forums » General

Subject: Am I missing something with Raxxon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt O
msg tools
I feel like I'm missing something here. Going to Raxxon to search doesn't seem at all dangerous considering what you get for going there. The only thing that makes it more dangerous is that you have to roll for exposure when searching. That's it, right?

Also, on the Raxxon board, at the bottom right of it, why does it have a picture of a frostwalker and a picture of 3 regular zombies and says "contains"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D L
United States
Fredonia
New York
flag msg tools
from what we interpret, the danger comes because EVERY card you pull to look at from that deck rolls that exposure die. Make noise? roll the die. Do another search, roll the die. That can catch up with you really quick. Even if we misread or misinterpret and it is every search only, wounds and the tooth are serious risks.

The image I believe is just a reminder I think because if you match the code, you still have the option of releasing the creature which will keep 3 zombies from showing at a location of your choice. In some cases this could be advantageous for the group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to review the rulebook. It spawns deadly mutated zombies at random locations. They require checks beyond a normal attack to defeat and you can't use special weapons that autokill zombies. They also have to be killed BEFORE you can kill and normal zombies there, so they'll pile up quick of you don't/can't deal with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt O
msg tools
I know that, but that triggers whether you are searching there or not. It doesn't dissuade you from going there at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all raxxon items are super powerful. You can move there, use dice to contain, use a dice to search, survive the exposure roll...and pull a fuel card you don't need. Or a pill card which you use and end up with negative consequences all game. What happens if you do get a weapon that, for one reason or another you don't end up really even needing? He'll, what happens if you end up with bad rolls and get frostbite or bitten?

Sure, if you search there, get a blank and pull something super usefuke and helpful, and the zombies are contained that round, raxxon is awesome. But in the couple games I've played, people have used dice to contain and search only to pull something they don't want or need. Using those dice and having less actions over a few rounds, all In hopes of grabbing all the super weapons, can start to hurt if luck isn't on your side.

In my opinion, the weird thing about raxxon is those zombies all seem so cool you kind of want to see them used. But letting those guys out is usually really really bad. So it's smarter to not ever use them or see them in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt O
msg tools
Yeah that's fair I guess. We played two games and we just thought we were missing something since we went through the deck pretty easy. Guess we just got lucky on our exposure die.

Unrelated question: when you pick up a pill card from the Raxxon deck does it trigger immediately from the character that searched, or is it like any other item where you can hold on to it and play it later or not at all? I assumed the latter, but I just want to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an event card just like the Outsider cards. So you can hold onto it and play it or not at your leisure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Umbra0118 wrote:
Yeah that's fair I guess. We played two games and we just thought we were missing something since we went through the deck pretty easy. Guess we just got lucky on our exposure die.

Unrelated question: when you pick up a pill card from the Raxxon deck does it trigger immediately from the character that searched, or is it like any other item where you can hold on to it and play it later or not at all? I assumed the latter, but I just want to confirm.

It does not sound like you rolled the die for every card. It's figuratively impossible not to roll bite or enough wounds to kill you in 20 rolls

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.