mbmbmbmbmb
This one is wracking my brains. The rules state:

Quote:
Adjacent
** Two spaces are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an
impassable border, or a wall.

** Two rooms are adjacent if they share a border, a door, an
impassable border, or a wall.

**A door is adjacent to each space for which it is a space edge.

I'm trying to figure out why they included "walls" in the adjacency rules. It's like now they have to include all these exceptions, and when they don't, it makes for not-so-intuitive rules. For example, they had to add into the Range rules, "Range cannot be counted through walls or doors unless an effect specifically allows it." But the didn't include it in the Darkness rules, "Investigators ignore Darkness in a space containing a Light Source or Fire or a space adjacent to a space containing a Light Source or Fire." So technically, this means an Investigator with a Light Source on the other side of a wall will allow an Investigator to ignore the darkness? Seems a bit odd.

Anyone know why the spaces separated by walls are considered adjacent?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Walls block movement, effects (like light sources), and range. Doors block range only.

Some monsters, like Ghosts, can move through walls. If spaces on the opposite sides of a wall were not adjacent, they could not do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that does seem odd. It leads to some odd things, such as this rule from the Darkness section:

Quote:
Investigators ignore Darkness in a space containing a Light Source or
Fire or a space adjacent to a space containing a Light Source or Fire.

So light goes through walls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Light goes through doors, but not walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish they had mentioned that in either the Darkness rules or the Adjacency rules. I found this little nugget in the Wall rules:

"Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

That's what's keeping the Light from going through the wall to stop the Darkness. Just an odd place to put it in the rulebook piece it all together...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Wish they had mentioned that in either the Darkness rules or the Adjacency rules. I found this little nugget in the Wall rules:

"Effects that affect adjacent spaces cannot affect spaces through walls unless an effect specifically allows it."

That's what's keeping the Light from going through the wall to stop the Darkness. Just an odd place to put it in the rulebook piece it all together...

-shnar

Aha! Well, it makes sense - just a bit awkward to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Exactly right. The relevant rules are in the Doors and Walls sections, as you pointed out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thank you! I now rest easy knowing those adjacent attacks CAN'T go through walls... Whew!

This goes for fire as well, I think. I suppose that one would be more understandable, but maybe those mansion walls are thick...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldschoolgamr wrote:
Thank you! I now rest easy knowing those adjacent attacks CAN'T go through walls... Whew!

This goes for fire as well, I think. I suppose that one would be more understandable, but maybe those mansion walls are thick...

You're very welcome.

Right again. Fire can spread through Doors and Secret Passages but not Walls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
jlhorner1974 wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:

You're very welcome.

Has also thematic sense, if walls are made of stone or bricks, it's difficult for the fire to pass (ok, visions of a wargame called "Walls in Flames" passing through my mind. Time to hit the sack. Jason, keep an eye on the mansions, ehm, the forums for me as well)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
jlhorner1974 wrote:
oldschoolgamr wrote:

You're very welcome.

Has also thematic sense, if walls are made of stone or bricks, it's difficult for the fire to pass (ok, visions of a wargame called "Walls in Flames" passing through my mind. Time to hit the sack. Jason, keep an eye on the mansions, ehm, the forums for me as well)

Yes, maam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.