$30.00
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
In the BGG price history I often see games sold as "New" and upon a closer look some of them turn out to be auto-generated items from Auctions, where they were posted as dented, opened and used.

This is a big problem for people wanting to sell an actual new game in shrink because the price of "New" games in the BGG price history is artificially lowered due to incorrectly stated condition in auto-generated items from auctions.

Is BGG aware of this and if yes, are there any plans to fix it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Got of curiosity how would you think it could be fixed. I guess they could create a new condition quality of auction, but that would take a lot of data out.

Edit

I guess it wouldn't necessarily take a lot of data, just those that forget to change the default. Not sure what percentage forget. But if it isn't a large percent, then it wouldn't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I assume the sale generating tool gives the seller an option to select the condition for each item but it pre-fills the field with a default as "New". Is this correct?

If yes, the easiest and best fix is to simply remove the default state, which means the seller needs to select it manually. This makes most sense if you think of it. Most games in auctions are not new anyway. Having a default as "New" in the form is prone to errors when sellers just click through or do it on the phone.

In addition to the above, a nice feature would be if the auto-generating form also had a checkbox that says "This item includes expansion(s) and/or other games". If checked, then the marketplace item in BGG price history would show with an asterisk. This would be a much more accurate reflection of the trending price than the current implementation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Shelton
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your basic concern. I do not like that the auto-generated sales from auctions affect the marketplace historical data. As more and more auctions are conducted, this further dilutes the usefulness of the historical marketplace data. I do not know what the fix is, but I really wish more attention were directed at fixing this issue. For those of us that want accurate historical pricing data, it is a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Could someone point me to the form that is used to auto-generate market items from an auction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
Could someone point me to the form that is used to auto-generate market items from an auction?

For each item that you have made in your geeklist, next to your delete selection is a selection for 'quick marketplace listing'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Powers
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I love the idea of a "condition" called auto-generated, or auction, or anything that's NOT related to an actual marketplace sale. Auctions in general have such varied prices that they seldom reflect what someone could get by listing in the marketplace.

Great idea!

Tom

Btw, I sent an email to admin with a similar request, though I didn't have the solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Guantanamo wrote:
infi01 wrote:

For each item that you have made in your geeklist, next to your delete selection is a selection for 'quick marketplace listing'

I think I'd need to have an active auction in order to see that option. If you have an auction going on, could you post a screenshot of the form in "quick listing"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I thought about this more and I came up with these 3 suggestions:

1) Problem: the condition of items in BGG price history is often inaccurate when items come from auctions because auction sellers quickly generate marketplace items without paying attention to details.
Solution: make sure that the item condition in "quick listing" is not pre-selected by default, so that seller has to select the condition manually. If the auction seller selects "New", show a warning text saying "IMPORTANT: by selecting 'New' you indicate that the item is brand new unused, unopened, and undamaged. If the item was opened or used, please, select different item condition. See Marketplace Condition Policy for details"

2) Problem: BGG price history doesn't differentiate marketplace and auction items.
Solution: BGG price history should have a filter to include/exclude auction sales. Games listed through "quick listing" should be automatically marked as "auction sale".

3) Problem: BGG price history doesn't differentiate sales of the games from games bundled with expansions and sometimes it also shows a sale of multiple different games under one game.
Solution: Add another drop-down option to to the market listing form with 3 choices:
- "Game only"
- "Game + expansion(s)"
- "Multiple games"
BGG price history can now have a filter to show sales of "game only" and/or "game + expansions". Any sales of "multiple games" should be completely ignored in BGG price history.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:
infi01 wrote:

I think I'd need to have an active auction in order to see that option. If you have an auction going on, could you post a screenshot of the form in "quick listing"?

Sorry tablet makes it hard to do that. But you can look at one of your old lists. Doesn't have to be active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
infi01 wrote:
could you post a screenshot of the form in "quick listing"?

Here is what comes up if you hit the link to generate a quick marketplace listing:

EDIT: I really like the ideas of having an "auction" condition, of having a setting for game/game+/games, and having a "this was an auction item" setting (independent of condition). Some combination of those, along with the corresponding filters for viewing, would be great.

I agree that distorting the price charts is problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Infi
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Kevin! As I suspected, the 'New' condition is pre-selected by default.

Guys, what is the best way to bring this to BGG's attention? Should I just post them in the 'BGG Suggestions' forum?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.