Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a new copy at GenCon last night. Excellent, gorgeous looking family game! Loved it but a few questions came up in our 5-player game:

1) Who is the captain in the final scoring? The last player to be captain in the 3rd round? Seems like in a 5-player game that there is a disadvantage if most of the 4 treasures get drawn before you get a chance.

2) We ran out of cards every round so we reshuffled the discards from earlier turns. This correct?

3) With 5 players, the last player always ends each round as there are 5 turns. This seems like it might be a disadvantage (or maybe an advantage?) I'm wondering if there was ever some alternate rule thought about to determine the start captain in the 2nd and 3rd round of a 5-player game?

Again, lovely game. Glad we grabbed a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e9martin wrote:
1) Who is the captain in the final scoring? The last player to be captain in the 3rd round? Seems like in a 5-player game that there is a disadvantage if most of the 4 treasures get drawn before you get a chance.
Really not sure that matters in any way (there's a certain advantage if most of the 2 treasures got drawn when it's your turn… ), but I'd say whoever was the Captain during the last turn stays captain, as scoring is not a game turn on its own.
e9martin wrote:
2) We ran out of cards every round so we reshuffled the discards from earlier turns. This correct?
Yes it is.
e9martin wrote:
3) With 5 players, the last player always ends each round as there are 5 turns. This seems like it might be a disadvantage (or maybe an advantage?) I'm wondering if there was ever some alternate rule thought about to determine the start captain in the 2nd and 3rd round of a 5-player game?
Not that I know of. You could have the last player of a round be the first start of the next, but I'm not sure it would be better for balance…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Vargo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
e9martin wrote:

Again, lovely game. Glad we grabbed a copy.

If the base rules are used (not including the "variant" described in the back for experienced players or 5 player games), there is an advantage in being the last expedition leader because the chance are higher that when cards are passed to you, you'll have more cards to choose from than the first player. The variant balances this so that the advantage is neutralized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flightsurg wrote:
If the base rules are used (not including the "variant" described in the back for experienced players or 5 player games), there is an advantage in being the last expedition leader because the chance are higher that when cards are passed to you, you'll have more cards to choose from than the first player. The variant balances this so that the advantage is neutralized.
You get more cards, but other players have a chance to keep the one(s) you need before you even see them…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Bauza
France
Valence
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
e9martin wrote:

Each round the remaining cards should be put under the deck, so you should running out of card during a round...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
toinito wrote:
Each round the remaining cards should be put under the deck, so you should running out of card during a round...

I don't think this is in the rulebook, which says the captain discards cards face-up. Might want to update them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SaltyHorse wrote:
toinito wrote:

I don't think this is in the rulebook, which says the captain discards cards face-up. Might want to update them.
It's already been forwarded to our publishing team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
SaltyHorse wrote:
toinito wrote:

It's already been forwarded to our publishing team. ;)

Is this the official rule then, because the PDF on the site still says that the discard is face-up? Personally I kind of prefer having a separate discard pile (face-up or even maybe face-down so people can't card count) because putting things at the bottom of a deck is a bit of a chore for something you do so often (grrr Arkham Files games :P). And if it is the rule, then I assume the discards are not public?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.