Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matias Vierimaa
Finland
Oulu
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While trying out my first solo game, everything was so smooth for french in Wagram that I started to suspect I am playing something wrong.

Set-up:

After turn 1 (two units were allowed to cross from Lobau island.

Turn2:
French moved more troops to face austrians. I assume french 3-2 can move forward as EZOC does not extend to redoubt.

Turn 2 combat:
- French 3-2 attacked aspern (result: engaged), no impact.
- 4-2 attacked essling (french combat 6 [art sup 2 + 4] against austrian 3 [austrian defence 2 + 1 from town]. End result routed, withdrawed 1, french unit advanced to Essling
- 4-2 attacked gross-enderzdorf (french combat 4, austrian 3 [unit 2 + town 1]. Result withdraw, french occupied the town.

Beginning of austrian turn 2:

Each Austrian nearby unit is forced to attack with poor odds.

Is this correct? I feel that something might be wrong as this seems too strong a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Matias wrote:
Is this correct?

From what I can tell, your turn execution conformed to the rules.

Matias wrote:
Each Austrian nearby unit is forced to attack with poor odds...
I feel that something might be wrong as this seems too strong a start.

It is a very strong start, but it also reflects how ill-prepared the Austrians were. Napoleon's extensive preparations in the weeks leading up to the attack off of Lobau Island pretty much telegraphed his intentions, and yet the Austrians had done comparatively little to significantly reinforce their cordon, or improve their chain of redoubts around the French positions on Lobau.

To some extent, this Austrian lack of preparedness was intentional. Charles' plan seems to have been to draw the French into attacking his superior numbers on the Russbach Heights, rather than fight them on the Marchfeld plain where the more numerous French cavalry would have put him at a disadvantage.

When the actual French attack began, it caught the Austrians off guard. Instead of attacking north out of Lobau Island, the main French attack came to the east, bypassing the fortified cordon and then rolling up the forward Austrian positions from the flank. By mid-morning the bulk of the French army was already off the island, Gross-Enzersdorf had been taken, and the forward Austrian formations were all retreating towards the Russbach Heights. The game (and your opening turn) reflects that reality pretty well -- if anything, your Austrians seem to be doing somewhat better than their historical counterparts.

Lance McMillan
Developer for VPG's "Napoleonic 20" series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say your French were having a text book crossing getting over onto the Marchfeld .Rolling well on the Confusion & Congestion table can get the French over very quickly and start pushing back the weak Austrian forward units and getting a good bridgehead formed before Charles can get his better units in to try bottling them up.

Like Lance said-You seemed to be doing everything right

Please let us know how the game turned out and any other questions that arise

Kim Meints
Danube 20 Designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias Vierimaa
Finland
Oulu
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses! Good to know I managed to follow the rules.

After excellent start by French, Austrians rapidly gained momentum by receiving card which allowed then to activate all units, and after that card that increased their combat and movement abilities.

French tried to do their best but god of war (i.e. Dice) was ruthless for them and game ended to quick Austrian victory already at turn 5.

More careful opening might have worked better for him but Napoleon was too lazy to study overall situation (i.e. cards) prior the battle and austrian events were surprise to him. Also, excellent beginning gave him too much confidence to spend morale points in (unsuccessfull) defences and attacks.

It was close tough, before last battle Austrians had one morale point left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Matias

Sounds like a darn good session

The bane for the new gamers to the system is the over use of Morale points.
In testing I've seen some of the others burn morale in a majority of their combats for the attack starting out which frankly isn't going to get you anymore better for the outcome. Attacker burns a MP for attack and the defender matches and you're right back to the same odds on the CRT. Even if the defender doesn't match.

As a playtester with the system since day one plus a designer I won't waste a MP in the attack unless it's late in the game and I have the other side down on the ropes and going for the knockout to win it or in a Evening turn to take an Objective hex to force a MP loss on the enemy during the night Recovery.
But I will use a MP right away to use for a Force March(unless a Event gave it to me) to get the jump on the other side

Over use of morale can lead to utter disaster on that first day. With 2-4 days in majority of the system's battles there's time.

I hope you enjoyed your game and looking forward to more reports
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmb
Matias wrote:

Turn 2 combat:
- French 3-2 attacked aspern (result: engaged), no impact.
- 4-2 attacked essling (french combat 6 [art sup 2 + 4] against austrian 3 [austrian defence 2 + 1 from town]. End result routed, withdrawed 1, french unit advanced to Essling

Aren't Aspern and Essling fortified? That would change a lot.

The 3-2 between the two towns would be very exposed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes Aspern & Essling are fortified(+2 to defense) in both Aspern/Essling 20 & Wagram 20

The attack for Turn Two upon Essling got messed up. As the Au 2-2 only got +1 for being in the town instead of +2 for fortified which would give it a 4 instead of the 3 as played

The dark blue band surrounding Essling showing it as a French Objective hex somewhat hides the Fortified symbol but it's there(really faint) but there.

I'm so sorry for that confusion about Essling in Wagram

Kim Meints
Danube 20 Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.