Hide
17 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Getting into Imperial Assault or Rebellion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
szyby szyby
msg tools
I'm a big fan of SW LCG and now I wanted to try one of the miniature games (Imperial Assault of Rebellion) to play with a group 4-5 people.
I'm very happy with SW LCG so far, but I've had some hard time getting my friends to play it, since the first impression is that the game is too complex (edge battles and balance of the force are difficult to explain and it's often unclear how important they are). I want to get more people to play a SW game which is super fun to play, but also makes a good first impression on people who play only casually some less complex games

I wanted to ask which one of these two do you recommend (Imperial Assault of Rebellion)? The factors I consider:
- easy to learn for people who are not gamers
- scales well with more than two players
- appeal to non-SW fans
- fun to play

What are the best things to buy at the start? I know for example that in LCG the optimum is Core set and Edge of Darkness (preferably doubles) to get the best experience. Is that the case with Imperial Assault that the core is not enough to have lots of fun?

Is the campaign or skirmish better for the above-mentioned group of people?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebellion and Skirmish Imperial Assault are 1 vs 1 games. Yes, you can play with 4, but it's not that great. Both do not have an option for 5 players.

Imperial Assault campaign however plays best with 5, but works well with 4. It is easy to learn, but it does get more difficult after a few games due to more stuff to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had hoped rebellion would scale well up to 4 players but we didn't have the best experience. Some here have said it's great, so maybe we just had a bad game, it happens. Imperial assault would be your best bet as its not too complicated for the heroes and is designed for more players. I'm not sure that it would appeal to non-star wars fans. My wife and I love it, but we're big fans. Without the theme I imagine it's your standard dungeon crawl... in space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebellion is practically a 2-player-only game. (And so is the skirmish mode. Although you could play in teams, it is just not the same. And 4-player skirmish really requires expansions to make much sense. You practically need more figures to build more than 2 armies.)

There are a lot of finesse and ability interactions in Imperial Assault, but they are dealt piecemal and are very learnable if you just take the time. It also doesn't matter that much if you make a few mistakes when you start playing. Just check the rules after each of the first few missions and get them right the next time. (And you can check Boardgamegeek for the commonly misinterpreted rules or common mistakes.) After that everything is upto the players. (And the first campaign is a learning campaign.)

It also depends on how laid back your group is and how good of a teacher you are.

You only need the Imperial Assault core box - you can get 2-3 campaigns (each 11 to 14 missions, usually 11 or 12, 1-3 hours each) out of it due to various factors that increase the replayability (even if you play a mission second time).

I don't get to play games 2-player, so Rebellion is out for me, but I love Imperial Assault campaign. Both the tactical face-to-face experience and the much more strategic Play By Forum experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
szyby szyby
msg tools
Thanks for the advice so far!

Kwakkie wrote:
Imperial Assault campaign however plays best with 5, but works well with 4. It is easy to learn, but it does get more difficult after a few games due to more stuff to keep track of.

From what I've read I understand that one player plays as the Empire, whereas all the other players play Rebel characters. Does the imperial player serve merely as a game master and does not have a lot of fun? Of does he actually have a lot to do? Which do you think is more fun to play? Since I'll be the one introducing my friends to the game I assume that will be my role to play the Empire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Go for IA. Hours of play with only the base game for campaign and it works great for 3+ players. We've been playing w each rebel controlling 2 heroes and it hasn't been complicated at all.

Only downside is how long the campaign takes. It's seriously taking away from any other games getting to the table. But maybe that's a good thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
msg tools
mbmbmb
szyby wrote:
Thanks for the advice so far!

Kwakkie wrote:

From what I've read I understand that one player plays as the Empire, whereas all the other players play Rebel characters. Does the imperial player serve merely as a game master and does not have a lot of fun? Of does he actually have a lot to do? Which do you think is more fun to play? Since I'll be the one introducing my friends to the game I assume that will be my role to play the Empire

One person plays as imperial and all others divide up rebels. This lasts the whole campaign. And while each game one side wins or loses, technically the winner is the one who wins the final battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
szyby wrote:
Does the imperial player serve merely as a game master and does not have a lot of fun? Of does he actually have a lot to do? Which do you think is more fun to play?

The imperial player really plays against the rebel players. Except if the rebel players are not picking up the game as well, then the imperial player needs to either handicap himself/herself or give more tips to the rebel players.

So: player first, game master second.

Preferably play with 4 rebel heroes, whatever the number of rebel players.

I love playing as the imperial player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 imperial assault, the learning curve really isn't that bad and you can printout redjaks AI RAIV/RAEV and that way you can play coop. Its a real blast! I run rebel characters and also handle the AI, I had it down pretty good after a couple of missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IA all the way. It's a lot of fun playing the campaign, and if you ever want to dive deep there's skirmish just waiting for you. Also, if you want to play purely co-op there's an app coming that will automate the Imperial player.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
I have both games and they are both fantastic board games. For a larger group imperial assault would be much better. Our group has done two full campaigns, core and return to Hoth and had a blast both times. I have been the dm for both and it has been a great experience. Just don't get frustrated if the rebel scum start plowing through your storm troopers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI...word on the street (i.e. FFG's latest InFlight report) is that IA will be getting an app (like Descent) that will allow full coop play.

If that extends the value for you, then IA's certainly the way to go.

As for Rebellion--I don't think it's the kind of game you "get into", like one does with most mini-based games. It's not a minis game--it's a two player large acale strategy war game--and it's debateable whether any expansion will ever be developed, or needed.

If you really want a multiplayer SW themed game that's fairly easy to teach--maybe X-Wing? Looks great on the table, even for nom gamers (though it could be a little imtimidating for total neophytes) If you really want some sort of campaign game in that vein, and want some more complexity...Armada's getting a campaign expansion this winter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
Food for thought: I've found that people have a much easier time learning Imperial Assault than they do Rebellion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
szyby szyby
msg tools
Thanks for all the replies so far, I appreciate that. I think I'm pretty much convinced to go with IA. I'm wondering if I should just purchase the core or should I also get some heroes additionally or maybe some expansion. Is that any help at entry level?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Roberts
msg tools
The core set comes with quit a bit, but if you like the game you will want to buy expansions sooner than later. Return to Hoth adds a lot of figures and a full second campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson K
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get the wave 1 stuff. It would be pretty disappointing if you were like "Alright guys, you get Han Solo this mission!" then slap a little cardboard coin on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tysonk28 wrote:
I would get the wave 1 stuff. It would be pretty disappointing if you were like "Alright guys, you get Han Solo this mission!" then slap a little cardboard coin on the table.

As Han Solo wasn't available when we played that mission (some delivery problems), I gave them the Luke mini instead. worked well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.