Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we click on anything no matter how far away it is? The rules only say you can't click on things with the action icon unless you are in that space. So, if I want to learn more about the search token in a shack but I'm not even in that room, can I click on it without being on that space as long as I don't click on any option with the action icon?

Sorry for the confusing wording, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean just so see the flavor text of the item? Sure, I don't see why not. Just click the Cancel button.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are allowed to click on anything you want in the app at any time to read the description. You can't click on a button that requires an action, of course, unless you are in that space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
jlhorner1974 wrote:
You are allowed to click on anything you want in the app at any time to read the description. You can't click on a button that requires an action, of course, unless you are in that space.

unless you are in that space and have at least one action to spend

(sorry for being pedantic Jason, it's just to avoid miscommunications)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
jlhorner1974 wrote:

unless you are in that space and have at least one action to spend

(sorry for being pedantic Jason, it's just to avoid miscommunications)

No worries, thanks for making it clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 7 of the Learn To Play rulebook mentions this specifically:
Quote:
An investigator may tap any token in the app to inspect it. Doing so does not require an action, and an investigator can inspect a token even if the token is not in his space.

An investigator cannot select an option that is preceded by the action icon ( <action icon shown here> ) unless he spends an action to do so. Performing the explore, search, or interact action allows the investigator to select such an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
Page 7 of the Learn To Play rulebook mentions this specifically:
Quote:
An investigator may tap any token in the app to inspect it. Doing so does not require an action, and an investigator can inspect a token even if the token is not in his space.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, the sight tokens work differently right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no action is required to resolve a sight token
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group realized that you could probably click around if you weren't in the space with the token (so long as you had an action), BUT thematically it makes more sense to not look unless you are standing nearby. After all, reading a plaque on a door on the other side of the house seems odd especially if it's around a hall corner nobody has even been beyond yet.

So we play it that way. I will likely let the group decide though each time we play so we can offer consistency, but more strategy if that is desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soakman wrote:
My group realized that you could probably click around if you weren't in the space with the token (so long as you had an action), BUT thematically it makes more sense to not look unless you are standing nearby. After all, reading a plaque on a door on the other side of the house seems odd especially if it's around a hall corner nobody has even been beyond yet.

So we play it that way. I will likely let the group decide though each time we play so we can offer consistency, but more strategy if that is desired.

I guess the alternative take is that being able to click on any token represents the game's assumption that you looked at each object at the time they spawned, when at least one character was close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:
soakman wrote:

I guess the alternative take is that being able to click on any token represents the game's assumption that you looked at each object at the time they spawned, when at least one character was close.

Exactly. The descriptors when you tap on them are just reminders of what the app said when they were first spawned in case you forget. It's not intended that you just have to remember everything perfectly. Tapping on the icon usually doesn't give you any kind of additional useful information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Exactly. The descriptors when you tap on them are just reminders of what the app said when they were first spawned in case you forget. It's not intended that you just have to remember everything perfectly. Tapping on the icon usually doesn't give you any kind of additional useful information.

Yep, especially useful if you're coming back to a suspended game - you can read back through the message log too I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fergus Conolly
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except - in the first mission one of the doors is locked. And says 'you try the door' even if you are no where near it. This is kind of significant for game play - seemed a bit odd to us...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
The descriptors when you tap on them are just reminders of what the app said when they were first spawned in case you forget.

Hm actually some times the summary 'on spawn' contains less information I think, e.g. something like 'There are 3 more exits of the floor'.

So after my experiences with the first scenario I will from now on play, that I can only click what I can reach from the field I'm on or during my movement for thematic reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
seqcon wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:
The descriptors when you tap on them are just reminders of what the app said when they were first spawned in case you forget.

Hm actually some times the summary 'on spawn' contains less information I think, e.g. something like 'There are 3 more exits of the floor'.

So after my experiences with the first scenario I will from now on play, that I can only click what I can reach from the field I'm on or during my movement for thematic reasons.

That is, of course, up to you, but it would not be playing by the official rules and you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con Sequence
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
seqcon wrote:
[...] So after my experiences with the first scenario I will from now on play, that I can only click what I can reach from the field I'm on or during my movement for thematic reasons.

That is, of course, up to you, but it would not be playing by the official rules and you would be putting yourself at a disadvantage by doing so.

That's why I changed my new rule to 'that I can only click what I can reach from the room/tile I'm on' during my last game, since the otherwise disadvantage was too huge and very obvious. Felt thematic and fair enough this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, one thing where this all falls appart are dialogues.

Take Eugene for example.

At some point he will no longer have dialouge options when you click on him.

But if the gets moved out of his room by a spawning monster, he has new dialogue. Unfortunately the investigators are usually not next to him, when this happens.

So there are 2 options to choose: Either click on him, to check if he has anything to say (very anti-thematic, but that´s the way the game works), or move someone close to him before checking his token, which in other scenarios might be a big gamble because of the time/actions spent, which then might lead to nothing.

Spoiler for Scenario 2:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We already lost this scenario once because we didn´t care to check the captain beforehand. We all walked onto the boat, ready to leave, and then he didn´t want to leave without the agent, even though there was no way for us to reach him anymore.

The intended way to play the game is to be able to check anything all the time. But sadly thats very unthematic to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gutripper
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seqcon wrote:
bleached_lizard wrote:

I recall a scenario where the initial description of an explore token was very basic and the second time you checked it it said the door was locked and required a key (thus saving you time going over to the space in the first place and finding out you need something to open the door). Perhaps a keen eye can see that the door is locked from a distance...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.